Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

Do you need a pulley holder tool to take off/torque on crank pulley?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2004, 06:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do you need a pulley holder tool to take off/torque on crank pulley?

Do you need a pulley holder tool to take off/torque on crank pulley?

Can't you just leave the car in gear or is that bad?
Old 07-14-2004, 06:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Do you need a pulley holder tool to take off/torque on crank pulley? (devnull)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by devnull &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Do you need a pulley holder tool to take off/torque on crank pulley?

Can't you just leave the car in gear or is that bad?</TD></TR></TABLE>

you can leave the car in gear, however the problem comes when you forget to losen the crank pulley and you end up taking your motor out then can't replace the oil pump because your dumb *** left the thing torqued on there, then you have to take the motor and load it into your dad's tahoe before he goes to work, goto a mechanic shop that has a 1000ft/lb gun, have them take it off, go back to your house to have your dad bitch at you for spillin a little oil on his carpets. then you're all set

sorry, just a little angry at the stupid things i've done haha
Old 07-14-2004, 07:02 PM

Default Re: Do you need a pulley holder tool to take off/torque on crank pulley? (tegasaurus)

thanks. I think I will. Doesn't it put stress on the crank etc.? I guess there is more when you drop the clutch at 6k though right?

Any thoughts on this:
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=926321
Old 07-14-2004, 07:21 PM
Mad Scientist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Do you need a pulley holder tool to take off/torque on crank pulley? (devnull)

mmmm, leaving the car in gear will most likely NOT work since the car will still rock...

you can just wedge a screwdriver in the flywheel or grad some rope, put it in like, lets say cyl. #1 and after you put the rope in put it at tdc. If done right the piston will press against the chamber and wont move. then you'll be able to take the crank pulley bolt out.

regarding the pulley, yeah, any b series will work, but non vtec b's have a bigger pulley.
Old 07-14-2004, 07:34 PM

Default Re: Do you need a pulley holder tool to take off/torque on crank pulley? (tegasaurus)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tegasaurus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

you can leave the car in gear, however the problem comes when you forget to losen the crank pulley and you end up taking your motor out then can't replace the oil pump because your dumb *** left the thing torqued on there, then you have to take the motor and load it into your dad's tahoe before he goes to work, goto a mechanic shop that has a 1000ft/lb gun, have them take it off, go back to your house to have your dad bitch at you for spillin a little oil on his carpets. then you're all set

sorry, just a little angry at the stupid things i've done haha</TD></TR></TABLE>

You could have saved your self the effort and trouble by simply using a flywheel turning tool (available at most autoparts stores ~$10) to lock the flywheel in place, then simply break loose the crank pulley nut.
Old 07-14-2004, 10:13 PM

Or you can save all of your money and use a really long extension and breaker bar and remove your starter. Removing the starter give accest to your flywheel clutch area. Jam a big *** screw Driver in there (have someone hold it) and break that biotch off. No you dont need a crank holder to torque crank. (btw i just did all this yesterday)
Old 07-15-2004, 08:22 AM

Default Re: Do you need a pulley holder tool to take off/torque on crank pulley? (YellowCivicE)

I heard that vdud drivers attach a breaker bar to the pulley and crank the car lol
Old 07-15-2004, 09:55 AM

good impact works for me
Old 07-15-2004, 10:26 AM

Default Re: Do you need a pulley holder tool to take off/torque on crank pulley? (2MUCHBOOST4U)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 2MUCHBOOST4U &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">good impact works for me </TD></TR></TABLE>

If not I also have one of those moroso crank pulley tools and it works great, but typically all you need is a good impact.
Old 07-15-2004, 10:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by devnull &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I heard that vdud drivers attach a breaker bar to the pulley and crank the car lol</TD></TR></TABLE>Think about that - which way does YOUR crank pulley spin when you run the starter?
Old 07-15-2004, 11:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Do you need a pulley holder tool to take off/torque on crank pulley? (RedlinedVTEC)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RedlinedVTEC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

You could have saved your self the effort and trouble by simply using a flywheel turning tool (available at most autoparts stores ~$10) to lock the flywheel in place, then simply break loose the crank pulley nut.</TD></TR></TABLE>

tried it... i busted the welds on the little end piece that grips the flywheel tooth
Old 07-15-2004, 04:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

4 foot leaver and a pipe wrench
Old 07-15-2004, 05:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Do you need a pulley holder tool to take off/torque on crank pulley? (h22 civic)

I just welded up one of those hex tools. took about an hour but I'm glad I have one now.

My impact gun works on these 90% of the time, but the proper tool is the way to go if it's stuck. The garage I live next to says they just heat up the washer behind the bolt red hot and it comes out every time. then you get to burn yourself doing a timing belt I guess...first time for everything
Old 07-15-2004, 07:31 PM

A good impact gun will take care of it in a heartbeat, and it is very useful to have in many other situations when working on your car.

An investment in good tools is a smart investment.
Old 07-15-2004, 08:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (LudeyKrus)

a pulley holder is the SMART way to do it. and i dont mean a generic one. get the moroso one.

jamming a screw driver into anything is not a good idea.
Old 07-29-2004, 08:42 AM

Default Re: (Kamin)

Anybody know where to get the moroso tool? I have been trying to find a tool for this job for the last few days with no luck.
Old 07-29-2004, 10:15 AM

Default Re: (coldlight)

Summit racing
Old 07-29-2004, 10:56 AM

Default Re: (Sack Master)

if you already have the tranny removed... and the cluch... You can have one person on the other end with a breaker bar.. holding the flywheel... turning one way.. then loosing the crank the other way... i did that on mine... several times... work's like a CHARM!
Old 07-29-2004, 06:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

make a piston stop out of an old spark plug. Weld and old socket or something similar onto the plug and slip it down the sparkplug hole, then turn the crank pulle y untill it is tight. Break the bolt loose take out piston stop.
Old 03-31-2005, 07:57 PM
What is this crap?

Received 57 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Re: (LudeyKrus)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by LudeyKrus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">A good impact gun will take care of it in a heartbeat, and it is very useful to have in many other situations when working on your car.

An investment in good tools is a smart investment. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I've wasted many heartbeats trying to bust mine loose with a 1/2" impact gun. going for the brute force method tomorrow. feel kind of dumb buying an air compressor mainly for the impact only to be owned by the crank pulley bolt
Old 03-31-2005, 08:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (falcongsr)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by falcongsr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I've wasted many heartbeats trying to bust mine loose with a 1/2" impact gun. going for the brute force method tomorrow. feel kind of dumb buying an air compressor mainly for the impact only to be owned by the crank pulley bolt</TD></TR></TABLE>

LOL that's why I rely on the crank pulley tool. I got the one like the Original poster showed and the Honda tool itself. The tool pays for itself in the long run. The key to having a impact gun work right is to have the right air line and PSI in it. Also having a high torque impact gun would help too.
Old 03-31-2005, 09:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (sleeperciv)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sleeperciv &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">LOL that's why I rely on the crank pulley tool. I got the one like the Original poster showed and the Honda tool itself. The tool pays for itself in the long run. The key to having a impact gun work right is to have the right air line and PSI in it. Also having a high torque impact gun would help too. </TD></TR></TABLE>

that is so true
Old 03-31-2005, 09:23 PM
What is this crap?

Received 57 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Re: (sleeperciv)

well everyone told me a 400ftlbs wrench will get it no problem then i find threads like this, oh well not to big a deal. live and learn.

Old 04-12-2005, 07:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Do you need a pulley holder tool to take off/torque on crank pulley? (RedlinedVTEC)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RedlinedVTEC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You could have saved your self the effort and trouble by simply using a flywheel turning tool (available at most autoparts stores ~$10) to lock the flywheel in place, then simply break loose the crank pulley nut.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Then you need 10 people to hold the engine down while trying to break the bolt...
Old 04-12-2005, 09:07 AM

Default Re: (vtecmissle)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by vtecmissle &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">make a piston stop out of an old spark plug. Weld and old socket or something similar onto the plug and slip it down the sparkplug hole, then turn the crank pulle y untill it is tight. Break the bolt loose take out piston stop.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Sounds like a good way to fubar your sparkplug threads.

Quick Reply: Do you need a pulley holder tool to take off/torque on crank pulley?