Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

Car Dealer Polish/Wax/ what to use?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 01:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car Dealer Polish/Wax/ what to use?

What type of detailing products do dealers (car sellers) use? Outside, and in (dash/seats/etc)?

Can you suggest something that works really good?
*Currently using armorall and turtle wax.
Old 02-03-2012, 07:24 AM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Re: Car Dealer Polish/Wax/ what to use?

Stop using Armerall in/on your car.

Dealers will use products from suppliers like Ducan.

I use, [my detailer uses] nothing but http://en.meguiarscanada.com/home/ on my 94 Integra plus he also has a "mix" he uses for sealing, he will no say what it is. 94
Old 02-05-2012, 07:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i use nxt tech wax on the outside of the car...makes garbage paint look good...and theres nothing wrong with armor-all. NOT ALL dealers use products from suppliers like duncan..^^^please quit making **** up and assuming..you know what happens when you assume...alot of detailing isnt in the product being used its in the hands that apply it.
Old 02-05-2012, 11:32 AM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

First I never said that all dealers use Ducan products, what I said was "from suppliers like Ducan"

Armor All products lost all credibility with their cracking dash problems but mainly their denial that it was a problem, yet they "reformulated" the product.

I also never said detailing was in the product, in fact I mentioned that my detailer, [17 years of experience] has his own mix for sealing his work.

I am assuming nothing, and I do not polish my own car because I have someone who can "apply it".

So how about you stop assuming what I mean and making **** up yourself. 94
Old 02-05-2012, 03:39 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Ask nofx she's got all the details.
I use 3m carnuba mothers clay bar 3m polish. 3m compound. And there's a meguires I use I just can't rememeber I haven't had the urge to wax my ride in a while.
There's a lot of info out there search as well
Old 02-05-2012, 03:57 PM
H-T White Ops

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by DT_Ghostly
What type of detailing products do dealers (car sellers) use? Outside, and in (dash/seats/etc)?

Can you suggest something that works really good?
*Currently using armorall and turtle wax.
I don't know everything about detailing for certain, but I know what works for me. I try to mostly suggest products that you can find in stores and don't need machines to apply.

That said, I'd skip the Armor All and Turtle Wax (Turtle Wax does have a bug and tar remover that's decent and a car wash that's okay iirc). Generally speaking, you can get something better off the same shelves for about the same price.

I'd suggest you go the way of Meguiars or Mothers. Both can usually be found in retail stores. 3M is also nice and has more professional products than Mothers in particular it seems, though I don't find them in as many brick and mortar stores.

Check to see if you can find paint supply or detailing supply shops in the area. I know that ordering online isn't always an option either because of the sheer number of products, the lack of personal help and advice, or the fact that you want/need it NOW.

Rinse dashes and hard interior parts off after using cleaners btw. Usually you shouldn't need any sort of interior dressing and a lot of times they attract dirt anyway.

What do dealerships usually use?

Commercial grade car wash, nylon scrub brushes that scratch up paint, and often a pressure washer that will flake paint off the car in less than a blink of the eye. Then a quick vacuum, and possibly pressure wash under the hood, use generic "trim/shiny dressing" under the hood and on any black plastic, dress the tires, wipe down the interior parts with a cleaner/dressing too (plastic, vinyl, leather all get the same treatment). Oh, and interior windows are a big one too.

Don't use car dealerships to judge what products to use on your car. Their job is to make the cars look presentable for the lot and to do it fast.
Old 02-05-2012, 04:01 PM
H-T White Ops

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I sort of want to say you should have posted this in Paint & Body since you'd get more help, but I don't know if you'd get too professional suggestions.
Old 02-05-2012, 04:23 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Dont you have a write up nofx on detailig? That has a lot of good info in there