Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

Feedback request: 1st gen ('98) vs 2nd gen (2003) CR-V what are pros & cons of each?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2019, 09:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Feedback request: 1st gen ('98) vs 2nd gen (2003) CR-V what are pros & cons of each?

Hi everyone, I’m new here and am looking at a few CR-V’s as a daily commuter. I wanted to get your opinion on the two that I’m considering.

2nd gen 2003 Cr-V

roughly 192,625 miles with brand new tires
has most service receipts

1st gen ‘98 CR-V

about 173,362 miles, a rear dented bumper (which I’m thinking i can fix)
Has carfax report, no service receipts

Both are around $2300

from what I’ve researched, the 2gen has a nasty AC problem where it can fall apart and become like shrapnel internally across the vehicle.

the 1st gen is more reliable and i need to focus on oil leaks on the engine itself, steering issues, and rust?

I honestly dont know much about cars but figure I’d find out as much as I can. Any help will be appreciated and sorry if I posted in the wrong section!

Please let me know what you all think?
Old 07-16-2019, 04:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default re: Feedback request: 1st gen ('98) vs 2nd gen (2003) CR-V what are pros & cons of each?

2gen and the Element like to kill radiator fan motors. I'm not sure what that a/c problem is supposed to be (I was a master tech for 15 years doing almost all Honda and that sounds like to some heresy BS).... but newer a/c systems are much more reliable. Except the clutch coil will inevitably die with them. Honda a/c compressors of the 90's were not very resilient. Although you aren't exactly in south texas heat either.
Keep in mind they are a chain and at that mileage if you hear anything from the chain I would pass. That is a ton of work in a car and in a taller CRV/Element body would suck *** to change that stuff.
If they are automatic, then there is a little inline filter on the top/back of the trans. Make sure to change it and keep the fluid spotless..

..and even more so on the 1gen if it's auto. There is no accessible filter and dirty fluid is death.
1gen *will* burn an exhaust valve if valve clearances aren't maintained. Other than that and potential a/c, the 1gen are far easier to work on in general. I intend on getting my rather tall daughter one as her first car because it has the space and still good visibility unlike modern cars.
Old 07-16-2019, 07:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
Default re: Feedback request: 1st gen ('98) vs 2nd gen (2003) CR-V what are pros & cons of each?

Originally Posted by Turtlep0w3r90
Hi everyone, I’m new here and am looking at a few CR-V’s as a daily commuter. I wanted to get your opinion on the two that I’m considering.

2nd gen 2003 Cr-V

roughly 192,625 miles with brand new tires
has most service receipts

1st gen ‘98 CR-V

about 173,362 miles, a rear dented bumper (which I’m thinking i can fix)
Has carfax report, no service receipts

Both are around $2300

from what I’ve researched, the 2gen has a nasty AC problem where it can fall apart and become like shrapnel internally across the vehicle.

the 1st gen is more reliable and i need to focus on oil leaks on the engine itself, steering issues, and rust?

I honestly dont know much about cars but figure I’d find out as much as I can. Any help will be appreciated and sorry if I posted in the wrong section!

Please let me know what you all think?
I am a Master Tech/L1 of 22 years and can tell you the AC issue on the 2nd gen CRV is not BS. The location of the compressor,type of compressor and operating strategy of the PCM allows the compressor to be flooded with liquid refrigerant. This causes a hydro-lock situation and destroys the compressor. It is completely random as to when it can occur,but happens. Ivge seen plenty of these vehicles come in with a 6 inch hole blown out of the side of the compressor.

The only solution Ive ever seen is the Deslugger by 4seaons. It works. Ive installed dozens of them over the years for our long time customers.
https://www.autoserviceprofessional....sons-deslugger

https://www.4s.com/en/ecatalog?year=2003

Other than the AC issue, the 2ng gen is superior,IMO to the 1st gen CRV. Mainly because of the K-series engine but also because of its cargo and passenger room.

However the K-series is at the mercy of regular oil changes and quality oil. If this was not done,you will have timing chain issues.
Old 07-16-2019, 09:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Feedback request: 1st gen ('98) vs 2nd gen (2003) CR-V what are pros & cons of ea

Originally Posted by night
2gen and the Element like to kill radiator fan motors. I'm not sure what that a/c problem is supposed to be (I was a master tech for 15 years doing almost all Honda and that sounds like to some heresy BS).... but newer a/c systems are much more reliable. Except the clutch coil will inevitably die with them. Honda a/c compressors of the 90's were not very resilient. Although you aren't exactly in south texas heat either.
Keep in mind they are a chain and at that mileage if you hear anything from the chain I would pass. That is a ton of work in a car and in a taller CRV/Element body would suck *** to change that stuff.
If they are automatic, then there is a little inline filter on the top/back of the trans. Make sure to change it and keep the fluid spotless..

..and even more so on the 1gen if it's auto. There is no accessible filter and dirty fluid is death.
1gen *will* burn an exhaust valve if valve clearances aren't maintained. Other than that and potential a/c, the 1gen are far easier to work on in general. I intend on getting my rather tall daughter one as her first car because it has the space and still good visibility unlike modern cars.
Originally Posted by DCFIVER
I am a Master Tech/L1 of 22 years and can tell you the AC issue on the 2nd gen CRV is not BS. The location of the compressor,type of compressor and operating strategy of the PCM allows the compressor to be flooded with liquid refrigerant. This causes a hydro-lock situation and destroys the compressor. It is completely random as to when it can occur,but happens. Ivge seen plenty of these vehicles come in with a 6 inch hole blown out of the side of the compressor.

The only solution Ive ever seen is the Deslugger by 4seaons. It works. Ive installed dozens of them over the years for our long time customers.
https://www.autoserviceprofessional....sons-deslugger

https://www.4s.com/en/ecatalog?year=2003

Other than the AC issue, the 2ng gen is superior,IMO to the 1st gen CRV. Mainly because of the K-series engine but also because of its cargo and passenger room.

However the K-series is at the mercy of regular oil changes and quality oil. If this was not done,you will have timing chain issues.
Thanks for all the info guys! I ended up goin with the gen1 and so far so good! Ended up paying about $1500 USD for it so Im pretty Happy!

i will be littering the forums more now indefinitely!

Theres some minor rust on the left and right side of the exterior beams of the windshield and the hood over the rear right wheel, Any advice on suggested materials to smooth and paint over the rusted areas?

also looking to eventually replace the rear bumper myself when I get the part. Any reccomendations for best source to order in a rear bumper?