Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

Crx noob and need some help with swap

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2017, 05:43 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crx noob and need some help with swap

Okay everybody I have searched the internet far and wide and seen many things but not exactly something that I'm trying to do. Now I will say I am new to the Forum and I have searched on here before posting I could be wrong so if I am I do apologize. I'm not new to mechanics but doing this kind of swap I am a little under informed so I figured why not come here and actually asked the public for their opinion and information. So here goes.... I picked up a 1987 CRX with the carbureted engine the body was actually in decent shape and the engine actually was taken apart but I did run. Nothing fancy at all completely stock for two hundred bucks. Now of course nobody wants to run around on the original stock one with Honda's we always want to upgrade now yes I did want to go a way bigger and stronger engine but for right now here is the second side to the coin. I just picked up a 97 Civic with a D16Y8 standard running and driving not in the greatest of shape body-wise but the drivetrain is great for 300 bucks. So here's what I want to do.... I know that the 87 was a obd0 and of course the 97 is an OBD2 I'm going to completely strip out the 87 front to back and remove everything and I'm going to do the same to the 97 everything from the front headlights to the rear tail lights and drop that into the 87 making it an OBD2 just because in my opinion it's a little easier to Tinker with. Now I know most will say this is stupid or dumb but hey this is my car my money if you want to buy me Parts go right ahead but I don't think that'll happen so here is where I come to you nice people the professionals to ask if you questions. Number one I can't find a cheap conversion mount for a first gen CRX to d-series. I've heard I can make my own which I have no problem doing but I would like a few pointers before I undergo that or if there's an easier route I am open to it. Doing the wiring from one car to the other will not bug me due to I'm going to be relocating everything in hiding most of it just for my own satisfaction I don't mind the work. This D series is going to be built for Boost was my first thought and I started researching I can do 5 pounds of boost with stock internals no problem but once again I ask you guys. This is not to race an H22 Prelude and try to feed him I'm just doing it for me because I like these cars this isn't trying to build a reputation like I said this is just for my own personal enjoyment. Next is I understand with axles hubs and Knuckles do remember I have an extra complete donor car that I'm going to be swapping over so what are my procedures for that any input would be greatly appreciated. Now I'm also waiting for the people to respond why don't you just keep the 97 Civic well number one the guy never gave me the title for it and I'm not going to try to fight over a $300 car so I figure rip everything out that I need and sell the body parts and trash the rest I don't really care if anyone on here needs Parts let me know. Next would-be do I need to remove anything from the body on the 97 to transplant into the 87 I know most people are going to say once again that this is stupid but I really want to undergo this and take two cars and build one. One older body with something 10 years newer under the hood. Next question what are you all's opinion on gauges should I try to build my own or modify the dash to fit the 97 or what are your guys's opinion I am open to ideas for any and all of this please let me know I need to start ripping the 97 apart so I can sell the rest of it and start ripping apart my 87 if you have any further questions about what I have please feel free to ask like I said I'm not a professional at this I just need some pointers and I can't find the exact things anywhere online of something I'm trying to do. Thank you all once again and no offense but please leave the negative comments to yourself I'm a person actually legitimately asking and I don't need peoples stupidity there's already enough of it in this world as it is thanks once again. 915crx
Old 02-26-2017, 04:15 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Crx noob and need some help with swap

Can you put you questions in a short detailed post, I felt I was reading a book and to many questions mixed with thoughts and recommendations.