Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

CRV: Overheating and Engine Block bolts have pulled out the threads - Advice Please

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 10:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CRV: Overheating and Engine Block bolts have pulled out the threads - Advice Please

I have a '97 Honda CRV. It has over 120,000 miles on it. Had an overheating incident last summer and as a result had to replce the head gasket. As a result 2 bolts had pulled out the threads. Repairs made included a new radiator fan and radiator. q month ago, the main radiator hose split. I was able to duct tape it to drive back to buy a replacement hose - I can't say for sure but I think that we didn't damage anything...

Few weeks the car's temperature dial starts rising then falling. I smell and notice smoke from behind the engine block. No antifreeze leaks under the car, but levels keep going down, so there is a leak. My mechanic has looked and says that he tried tightening the head gasket bolts. Didn't help - and now 9 bolts have pulled out their threads.

WHAT TO DO? He says worst case scenario is to replace the entire engine...Are there any other options??

I am in Brooklyn, NY and would appreciate any advice

Thanks!!
Old 02-29-2008, 06:31 PM
No Sales Forums

Default Re: CRV: Overheating and Engine Block bolts have pulled out the threads - Advice Please (VeeCee)

"Time Serts" you can do it yourself if you have the right tools & experiance. Otherwise any good machine shop should be able to help you out.
http://www.timesert.com/
Old 03-01-2008, 08:09 AM

Default Re: CRV: Overheating and Engine Block bolts have pulled out the threads - Advice Please (VeeCee)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by VeeCee &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> My mechanic has looked and says that he tried tightening the head gasket bolts. Didn't help - and now 9 bolts have pulled out their threads.

WHAT TO DO?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Sounds like the dumbass mechanic you went to stripped out those bolts for you. There is no need to "re-tighten" head bolts once they're on.I'd go Brooklyn style on his *** and make him/that shop fix it for you.
Old 03-01-2008, 11:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: CRV: Overheating and Engine Block bolts have pulled out the threads - Advice Please (King V)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by King V &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Sounds like the dumbass mechanic you went to stripped out those bolts for you. There is no need to "re-tighten" head bolts once they're on.I'd go Brooklyn style on his *** and make him/that shop fix it for you. </TD></TR></TABLE>Agreed. Your "mechanic" sounds like an idiot. I would never go back there.

Worst case- replace the block. You're looking at a full rebuild, though if you go this route. I'd shoot for the time-sert first. They work very well if done properly. Definitely don't take it to the shop you used to take your cars to.
Old 03-01-2008, 03:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sounds like your mechanic is stupid for doing that there was no need for that. you can get a heil coil kit and put new thread in the block its works i have done it several times for people that have done this same mistake. i recommend you get someone that knows what there doing if you dont.
Old 03-01-2008, 08:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

F'it, just go buy a used stock b20z and toss it in there.