Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

Installation of AEM cam gear in d16y8

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2006, 10:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installation of AEM cam gear in d16y8

I'm planning to DIY install a AEM tru time cam gear into my d16y8. I was looking at an installation guide on overboost.com, but it's a bit sketchy on a couple things. So my questions are: How do I prevent my timing belt from coming off the lower gears and falling off in general when I relieve the tension from the tensioner and taking the timing belt off the cam gear? How do I prevent all of the gears from moving and getting out of alignment when I'm aligning the cam gear and putting the timing belt back on? When I torque the bolts, how do I know it's 15-20 ft lbs. without a torque wrench? Lastly, how do I know that the first cylinder is TDC while the up marker on the OEM gear is on top?? Help would be appreciated, thanks!
Old 05-09-2006, 11:01 PM

Default Re: Installation of AEM cam gear in d16y8 (jtchinoy)

Changing a timing belt is a pain in the *** but it has to be done. As long as you can keep all the timing marks the same as far as the cams go you should be ok on that part. TDC. top dead center. Always on the first cynlinder. If it gets outta time thats fine. always remember to line it back up at O Degrees. Now as far as taking the pulley lose your belt wont fall off. you have to scoot it off. Dont worry about timing everything until you switch the tunible camgears but do try to keep everything in line or close to time. Now when you get your timing belt on just keep the tensioner lose until everything is inline. You can use a wrench to move the top to camgears to where they need to be. and same as far as your crankshaft goes. any question post it or call me 417-439-9300
Old 05-10-2006, 01:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Installation of AEM cam gear in d16y8 (jtchinoy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jtchinoy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> How do I prevent my timing belt from coming off the lower gears and falling off in general when I relieve the tension from the tensioner and taking the timing belt off the cam gear? </TD></TR></TABLE>

It's looped around the tensioner and water pump. It won't fall off. Just carefully slide it off the gear and let it rest on the timing cover. I've done it several times.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
How do I prevent all of the gears from moving and getting out of alignment when I'm aligning the cam gear and putting the timing belt back on? </TD></TR></TABLE>

What do you mean "all of the gears"? Anyway, do this:

1. Before removing the timing belt, use a Sharpie to draw a line across the edge of the belt and gear.

2. After removing the stock gear, hold it and line it up perfectly with the AEM gear. Find the Sharpie mark you made on the stock gear and transfer it to the corresponding point on the AEM gear.

3. Install the AEM gear and slide the timing belt back on. Align the Sharpie marks on the belt and gear to make sure the belt is in the proper place.

Hope you can understand that. Don't worry about spinning the cam, it won't budge. Just be sure to loosen the Cam gear bolt BEFORE removing the timing belt. That way you can remove the gear without spinning the cam.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
When I torque the bolts, how do I know it's 15-20 ft lbs. without a torque wrench? </TD></TR></TABLE>

You don't.

Lastly, how do I know that the first cylinder is TDC while the up marker on the OEM gear is on top?? Help would be appreciated, thanks!</TD></TR></TABLE>

1. Line up the white hash mark on the Crank pulley with the plastic arrow on the timing cover.

2. Remove the distributor cover and make sure the rotor is pointing at the windshield. If the rotor is pointing at the front bumper, go back and spin the crank another full revolution to achieve TDC.

Or, to make this whole thread obsolete, go buy a $20 Haynes manual from Pep Boys.
Old 05-10-2006, 09:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok took me a while since i didn't release the tension so i got it in after alot of theories. I mounted the belt on the gear THEN mounted the shaft. worked fine, only problem is the TDC was 2-3 degrees off, so it's theoretically advanced 3 degrees? my acceleration dropped an insignificant amount, but i notice it. And at 80mph+ the accelerator pedal gets some shaking feedback. Do you think the loss and shaking is from the 3 degrees off? It's dark now so I'm too tired, dirty, and hungry to fix it. Do you think I'll be okay till I adjust it tomorrow? And if I can't, do you think I'll be okay until the weekend?
Old 05-11-2006, 08:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bump for any ideas