Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

crank pulley came loose and now a weird noise

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2005, 04:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default crank pulley came loose and now a weird noise

So i was driving and my cel came on so i pulled off the freeway and noticed that my crack shaft pulley was loose, and the bolt was finger tight. The pulley was just wobbling really bad. luckily i was by a honda dealership and they tightened the bolt for me, but the engine was making a really weird noise. so i had it towed 8 hours home......

I start the car to show a friend the problem, and the pulley isnt even moving at this point. So i take the pulley off, and it basically eat up the woodrow key and the inside of the pulley. I started the car with the pulley off of it and it is making a knocking/clicking noise (coming from the bottom end). When the rpms are above 3k it sounds normal, but at idle it has a bad ticking. And another problem was that oil was coming out of where the timing belt goes on the crank (the sprocket). Its not alot, but when the car is on, you can see the oil spreading over the sprocket. The CEL codes were misfiring in all four cylinders. I took off the timing belt cover to make sure the crankshaft position sensor was still intact, and everything looked good.

so.... My question is this: because the oil is leaking, do you think the bearing on the crankshaft at the end of the crank is messed up, and thats where the oil is coming from? What damage could of been done, and is likely done to this? Thanks for the help guys
Old 04-08-2005, 09:16 AM

Default Re: crank pulley came loose and now a weird noise (fatalman)

You beatup the oil pump seal, and I suspect that the front main is beat. If the car is worth it than I would recommend that you hove somebody rebuild/repair the bottom end before it breaks more stuff. Parts wise, figure seals, pan gasket, main bearings, timing belt etc.
Old 04-08-2005, 10:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: crank pulley came loose and now a weird noise (Tom Blaney)

thanks tom. i figured i needed a new bottom end or a rebuild of it. hopefully i can just find one for cheap
Old 04-08-2005, 12:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: crank pulley came loose and now a weird noise (fatalman)

seems like ur bottom is messed up. I think that ur oil ran dry and the bearing maybe shot. I had my crank come off on the free going 70MPH. I thought i tighten the crack to torque but it still came lose after two months. Mine wasn't as bad as yours. I drove the car the rest of the 20mins home without a crank pulley.