Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

Cooling system/Radiator fan trouble

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 08:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 Cooling system/Radiator fan trouble

I have an overheating issue that I really and stuck on.

Car: 95 Civic DX coupe/LS-Vtec

Prior:
I took my dash apart and then removed the heater core from the car. I was redoing wires that a previous owner had messed with and cause my car over time to cause problems. It would kill the car while driving and drain the battery. Then when I go to start, it would not start unless jumped. I fix this problem because of corroded and split wires to my left headlight. Other than that, my car ran great, never over heated or nothing.

Present:
I redid the harness to the left head light, but did not mess with the wires that connect to the engine harness on driver side. I also redid the wires that lead from the climate control harness to the blower motor on the central air system on passenger side. Other than that, I have not messed (cut, split, tap) any of the other wires.

Replaced Parts:
I replaced the two hose that connect to the heater core system at the firewall.
I replaced the temperature sending unit sensor.
I replaced the coolant temperature sensor; also known as the fan switch.
I replaced the thermostat.

Problem:
After starting my car, within three to five minutes, my car overheats. The coolant is not bubbling, nor is it hot. My radiator fan has yet to kick on because I guess that I do not let the car warm up long enough due to the temperature gauge going straight to hot. I have no idea what is causing this.

Troubleshooting:
I bleed the system and I keep seeing bubbles come up at the funnel connected to the radiator. I am not able to keep the process going over extend period of time because the temperature gauge shot straight up to hot. Today, I kept the car going for about 8 minutes to try to force the bubbles to come out and hopefully, let the thermostat open to let the fluid cycle through the system in hopes that it would also kick the radiator fan on. The radiator fan never came on. Bubbles still presented to show up slowly here and there and the temperature gauge was pegged above the H. The hoses were all hot except the bottom hose that connects to the thermostat housing. It was cold. The top Radiator hose to the block was warm and the coolant within the funnel was hot, but not hot enough to where I could not touch it. Fluid never went down through the radiator as if it would if the thermostat open and the coolant were cycling through the system as far as I could tell. I slightly went down once, but still had fluid within the funnel. I think that was because of the air escaping. I am stuck with no ideas. I know it is not the thermostat as I just replaced it and even took and dropped it in boiling water to see it the thermostat opened. It did. I have no ideas what to do.

Other Troubleshooting:
I tested the wires for continuity and they all passed. I check for any blown fuses, the fuses were good. I check the relay to the cooling fan and the relay was good.

I disconnected the plug at the sending unit; the temperature gauge goes to cold.

I grounded the sending unit wire to the motor, the temperature gauge goes to hot.

I connected the fan directly to the battery, turns on.

I connected the two pinholes with a paper clip at the fan switch/coolant temperature sensor and the fan came on.

I would love some ideas on how to troubleshoot this problem. This did not start happening until I took out my dash and redid my harness along with taking out the heater core, then replacing the two hoses. I do not see where it would be my water pump or a blown head gasket as I have read in some forums.