Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

S2000 Push-to-Start Button Module - Anyone interested in this being mass produced?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2019, 03:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default S2000 Push-to-Start Button Module - Anyone interested in this being mass produced?

Hey guys,

I have been meaning to implement Push Start on my car and what better button to use than the one from the S2000. I also have a client whose car I am working on that had the button. He was going to order a pigtail with a relay for $80, so instead I found something that would plug into the button.

Now, most installs into other cars and indeed even the S2000 itself only use the button to trigger the starter and you still have to use your key or switches to turn the ignition on. I wanted to make it work more like modern Push Start cars, so I started building a module.

This module will let you start & stop the car like a new PTS *without keys* (might have to bypass steering lock or install a solenoid steering lock) if you want.

I also outfitted the PTS button with RGB LEDs, the stock light inside the button is super dim, especially with the little red cover.

With the module, the buttom behaves more like a modern car:
First press turns on accessories
Second press turns on ignitiom
Third press cranks the starter
Fourth press turns it all off

The module has three security options:
- link with a CompuStar 7x00 brain that has EZ-GO installed, ez-go is a proximity unlocking system, when the ezgo fob is in range the comoustar alarm/remote atart brain sends a message to the push start module to allow starting.
- arm/disarm triggers - can be linked to any aftermarket or oem alarm/door locks to only allow starting while the vehicle is disarmed (or unlocked as necessary for older vehicles)
- RFID kit, an extra module can be plugged in to allow reading of an RFID tag, kit includes a keychain tag but you can also program your own (if yiu had an rfid chip embedded in your hand, you could use it to authorize your push start)

For vehicles with an immobilizer, it is able to trigger a bypass unit if needed.

The module has two options for starter timing, hold to start (which does not require a tach connection) where you hold the button as long as needed to crank the starter and toucn to start (which DOES require a tach connection) where you just press the start button and the module will stop cranking when it sees the engine running.

Color patterns are customizable. I will likely change the LEDs (and thusnperhaps how they are driven) I am using but currently you could add extra 12v LED strips outside the buttom that would sync with the button.

I am posting this here to see if anyone is interested in such a system. Currently the microcontroller is off the shelf and I may keep it that way - the custom hardware is a shield attachment that handles interfacing with the car and has onboard relays for the acc, acc2, ign and start circuits.

The idea would be to sell it as a kit including the S2K button, harnesses, push start module and custom install harnesses for s2000, EG/DC, EK, EM, EP for plug & play installation in those vehicles as well as a universal harness for any other car. Price would be as cheap as I can keep it while covering the BOM and making a few bucks. I imagine no more than 200$ for a full kit with microcontroller and thr custom board and harness (not including s2k button) so maybe 300$ total?

Here is a video of what the S2000 button looks like with my RGB LEDs installed, this is just an LED test:

I will also post a video shortly showing the button working on the bench, activating the relays in sequence. Then I will post a video by this weekend of the whole system installed into an EK.

Yes, there are other push start systems but this is designed for the modified rgb s2k button and hondas specifically, so I am hoping this will be somewhat popular among Honda guys.

If anyome is interested, I will have the first batch of custom boards in about 30 days, I would like to get a few out for testing as well as just get them out in general.

I should also note, for any of the tweakers out there, that this board will also be usable as a generic automotive interface for off the shelf microcontrollers (eg. Arduino) allowing you to code lots of neat stuff in a car. (I will also be adding a feature where my mirrors move down when I am in reverse and move back when I shift out, a feature to vent my windows slightly on door open and then roll them back up (like a bmw, framless windows, so they always go inside the weather steipping, the possibilities are endless).. I will also be making a separate similar board but with more IO for car stuff instead of basically just what is needed for the push start.
Old 05-02-2019, 09:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: S2000 Push-to-Start Button Module - Anyone interested in this being mass produced

As promised..

And fully operational..

Old 05-02-2019, 09:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: S2000 Push-to-Start Button Module - Anyone interested in this being mass produced

With this I will also be making a car friendly Arduino shield which will have on board relays as well as car friendly inputs and outputs and a can bus tranceiver or 3.