Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.
Old 04-01-2015, 09:29 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Exterior Guides
Print Wikipost

Civic door won't open from inside or outside FIX (no drilling)

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2013, 05:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Civic door won't open from inside or outside FIX (no drilling)

Yeah, I was just hoping to get it open as a one time thing and be able to close it again. Get my emissions squared for a year and then work on getting it professionally fixed. I don't want to mess around with repairing this.
Old 08-11-2013, 06:21 AM
Trial User

Hi,

I followed the directions provided here and it seems I grabbed the part that needs to be pushed down but the door doesn't open/unlatch. The car was driven to a junk part yard and a auto-body shop and there all persons that gave it a try didn't have more luck and recommended that I destroy the latch from the inside (i.e. drilling/drimel approach?).

Is there a situation where this approach would not work at all or is there something I am not doing right and I should persevere?

Thank you.
Old 08-14-2013, 02:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Could anyone provide the part number for the mechanism for Advance Auto/AutoZone/O'Reilly/Pepboys? I have searched these sites for it with no luck only finding the actuator and the door lock key cylinder. Trying to avoid the stealer-ship price if at all possible.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Old 09-09-2013, 01:32 PM
Trial User

Icon2 Re: Civic door won't open from outside FIX (no drilling)

Hi and thank you very much for the great information. I have a different problem with the left rear door not opening from the outside...there is an approximately 2 inch part that connects the outside door handle to the rest of the mechanism has come out twice now from the hole it fits into. That small link has a short piece of metal with a rounded/ball looking end and a rubber like piece around it that presses into the hole in the door handle that I thought the first time was what held it in but now I think there is maybe a "C" clip missing but haven't removed enough stuff to see if there is a place for it. Not sure what to do at this point except remove more parts to get at the small link. Any thoughts or previous experience with this problem/failure?
Old 10-03-2013, 12:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Had hard time pulling panel.
finally pulled seat bolts, uncliped wire from under seat and tossed it in back.

then got couple 6x6 wood, some pry-bars and pried UP on bottom of door panel.
came loose.
then pop/wiggle the rest of way out.

second-use a mirror and flashlight to see whats going on before you waste time poking in the dark for the little metal tab.

then poke with confidence and open your door.

thanks OP-saved me hours of PITA with plasma cutter and bondo! LOL
Old 10-07-2013, 08:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ccpanel
Had hard time pulling panel.
finally pulled seat bolts, uncliped wire from under seat and tossed it in back.

then got couple 6x6 wood, some pry-bars and pried UP on bottom of door panel.
came loose.
then pop/wiggle the rest of way out.

second-use a mirror and flashlight to see whats going on before you waste time poking in the dark for the little metal tab.

then poke with confidence and open your door.

thanks OP-saved me hours of PITA with plasma cutter and bondo! LOL
WAIT! So you're actually saying you did what I wanted? You got the door open without removing the locking mechanism and all those other difficult sounding steps? If I'm understanding you right, I'll certainly give this a try.
Old 10-08-2013, 10:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by synapticflow
WAIT! So you're actually saying you did what I wanted? You got the door open without removing the locking mechanism and all those other difficult sounding steps? If I'm understanding you right, I'll certainly give this a try.
Read the directions (don't just look at the pictures) The locking mechanism was only removed for better pictures and to repair the broken piece. If you only need to open the door (one time) like you said in your original post, just follow the directions. Its not that difficult.
Old 10-14-2013, 12:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Okay, I am still searching for a non-OEM replacement latch/lock assembly for my 00 LX w/ power windows. EVERYTHING I find online is for manual windows only. Does anyone have a source, and their part #, for the latch for models with power windows so I can buy one? Trying to keep from spending $87 at Honda for it.

Thanks guys!
Old 03-03-2014, 04:18 PM
Trial User

I made a special tool out of a throw away small phillips screwdriver. See pic 4.
It's bent at about a 45 degree angle with about 1 inch (or so) reach.
First I congratulate Mibugno for the excellent post. Without it I would never had my door fixed. Other folks also did a fine job adding very useful information. Thanks to the post from Pshivers was very useful and the advice from LoveCivic was awsome. Once I received the replacement part I put together a tool to push the release pin and open the door. The difference with this tool is that it does not matter if the lock is open or close and it is easier to use as well than the bent screw driver. Since I am not allowed to post attachments send me an email and I'll reply with pictures.
martinsgilberto@gmail.com

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos?p...29494292522099
Old 03-15-2014, 02:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Icon6 Re: Civic door won't open from inside or outside FIX (no drilling)

Good afternoon everyone! My reply has focused on the same year car but I took the lock mechanism from a 97 model. I found a way that you don't have to push the pin from that direction at all but rather go behind the long tall rod and push because it's about 2 mm off space to put a small piece of metal behind that part to push the pin down. Pictures to come soon.

Last edited by auto_will; 03-19-2014 at 03:38 PM.
Old 03-16-2014, 11:34 PM
Trial User

Great! The information your provide is very useful. I started body work for my car and this information is too much helpful for me. Thanks for the info.
Old 07-18-2014, 12:25 PM
Trial User

Fantastically detailed post, thanks!
Could someone tell me what the size of the bolt is in Picture 2 please? I read 10mm, however, what's the length and is there some kind of detail on the thread at all?

Thanks in advance

Found it in another post, M6x10.

Last edited by sebastientorres; 07-18-2014 at 02:10 PM. Reason: Answer found.
Old 10-10-2014, 09:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks a million, same problem, got it open!!!

I had manual doors and heed the advice of a few previous posters, buy the new latch, and practice on that first to see what you gotta do.

In my case, 98 civic manual doors, I locked the door, used a right angled scribe tool (set with orange handle from Autozone), inserted into rectangular hole and rotated scribe clockwise (to right) while simutaneous applying pressure against door to pop it open cuz door wont just simply pop open by itself.

Key to my success though was (first and foremost the OP) and studying the new latch to know what i needed to do.

Good luck!!!
Old 02-15-2015, 08:28 PM
Trial User

I don't have any keys for my 95 civic, I was wondering if anyone knows if this procedure could be done without keys?
Old 03-10-2015, 09:16 PM
Trial User

Ok I have a slightly different issue and I can not find anything about it online.
I have a 93 honda civic LX 4dr.
The issue that I have is that the rear passenger outside door handle is ether not connected or broken.. this doesn't matter at this point because I cannot see what's wrong with it. However the child safety lock is on. So the only way to open the door has been disconnected. I need to get the door open. Is there a way to turn the child safety lock off that doesn't need the entire door to be taken apart?
Old 09-18-2015, 02:03 PM
Trial User

hi everyone,
do anyone have any information on the 98 honda accord coupe, driver side door not opening. is there a simple way of opening it or do anyone have the step by step details of how to open the door.
Old 12-29-2015, 10:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

hello everyone, i am having this problem with my door as well. 1st time it happened was a week ago, could not get the pin to release and ended up having to drill the thing out. got a brand new one from Honda and here i am with the same problem again out of nowhere after it had been working fine for the last week. the car is a 98 dx hatch with power windows/EX doors. trying the pin method again with no luck, i dont understand why it does not want to release. any help you guys can provide would be greatly appreciated. thanks

-Mike
Old 01-04-2016, 04:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

See my post above. It's very difficult to understand or see how the pin method works while its in the door. Practice with the new one.

Does your door handle feel different? Maybe the latch is stuck or something. That happens to mine at times.
Old 01-05-2016, 07:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i did, i took off my passenger one and played with the movement for awhile. I am hooking the pin, it simply will not move. it was the same problem when it happened the 1st time before i replaced it. im not sure if maybe the latch on the frame needs to be moved on the frame or mechanism pushed further into the door. Just doesnt make sense how a brand new part just failed in a week.
Old 10-20-2016, 01:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The driver's side door on my Civic EG did no open. I tried to remove the door panel with the door closed.

*** This does not work. There is a screw that holds a plastic retainer clip, which are hidden between the door panel and the dashboard totally inaccessible. Door panel can NOT be removed without taking out this screw. But this screw can definitely NOT be removed without opening the door. ***

Question 1: Is there any way, that I didn't see, to remove the door panel and/or open the door on a Civic EG with dysfunctional latch mechanism?

Luckily, while trying to remove the panel, I discovered that my door actually opens when unlocking (either from outside or inside) while SIMULTANEOUSLY pulling the door opening handle. I removed the panel. and played with the latch mechanism for a while, trying to understand how it works. Meachnism now works fine. However, I am scared that it may seize up again sooner or later, when the door panel is back in place, being unable to remove the door panel nor to open the door.

Question 2: Would you guys advise replacing the latch mechanism as a precautionary measure to prevent that from happening?
Old 11-12-2016, 06:47 PM
Trial User

Icon7 Re: Civic door won't open from inside or outside FIX (no drilling)

WOW! great work, thanks for the "how to."