Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

changing pads/bleeding brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2003, 06:53 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default changing pads/bleeding brakes?

I was just told that to push the pistons back into the calipers, I can loosen the bleed screw. Making it easier to push the pistons back in. (I have always just remove the brake MC cap and used c-clamp and just push the pistons back in, but told it was bad for something inside the MC to do it that way).

If I loosen the bleed screw, would that let air into the brake system causing me to have to bleed the brakes? (Making a 15 minute job of changing pads to twice as long, maybe even more especially if you have to bleed the brakes yourself)
Old 01-18-2003, 09:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: changing pads/bleeding brakes? (carblegal)

whenever you open the bleed screw without brake pressure air is gonna go in, you have to bleed em. just do it with the c clamp and push the piston back into it's bore.
Old 01-19-2003, 05:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: changing pads/bleeding brakes? (carblegal)

I was just told that to push the pistons back into the calipers, I can loosen the bleed screw. Making it easier to push the pistons back in. (I have always just remove the brake MC cap and used c-clamp and just push the pistons back in, but told it was bad for something inside the MC to do it that way).

If I loosen the bleed screw, would that let air into the brake system causing me to have to bleed the brakes? (Making a 15 minute job of changing pads to twice as long, maybe even more especially if you have to bleed the brakes yourself)
You can just take off the MC cap and push the pistons back into the caliper with a C clamp. That is one correct way of doing it. Don't worry about the stress your buddy says is put on the MC because it is made to take it. Trust me. I have done this over and over when changing my brakes. No need to bleed the brakes unless your pedal is mushy after the install of the new pads. Simple as that.

mike