Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

CEL and Crazy idling

Old 10-06-2003, 07:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CEL and Crazy idling

hey wasup i got a 92 civic with a jdm b16a, when i start the car i can let it idle all day and no CEL well come on, but if i hold the gas or let it go above 2500 rpms the CEL comes on, i tried to jump the ecu to get a code but all it does is stay on and never flashes,when i turn the car off and turn it back on the CEL is gone until i raise the rpms,also the car idles from 800-1200 up and down all the time, any ideas?
Old 10-06-2003, 07:53 PM

Default Re: CEL and Crazy idling (A92civicxJDMb16a)

are you using a jump wire to check the CEL code? if so then you have it in the wrong holes, try the other two. and to me sounds like you have a vacuum leak, but lets see what your code is that you are throwing, then we can go from there. post it as soon as you pull it.
Old 10-07-2003, 06:18 AM

yeah im doing the right jumpers the problem is though when the code is thrown and when i turn the car off and jump it and turn the key on the code is already gone again, i have to turn the car back on and raise the rpms to 2500 again for the ecu to throw the code, but once i turn the car off its gone, u think i can check it when i throw the code and keep the car running and see?
Old 10-07-2003, 07:47 AM

Default Re: (A92civicxJDMb16a)

you can check it when the car is off....

your ecu stores the code...
Old 10-10-2003, 01:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (degooser)

I hava similar problem . . . .

92 Civic EX Turbo just threw CODE 43 FUEL SUPPLY SYSTEM yesterday. Car has been idling kinda rough, and it stalls on me sometimes. Here's my fuel setup:

255lph Fuel Pump (Walboro)
DSM 450cc Injectors
Resistor Box
VAFC Hack

my car will have an irratic idle (up and down) and the rpms will drop so low the that motor shakes pretty bad, and sometimes it will just die out. I reset my ECU this morning and went for a 30 minute drive, and just took it easy . . . no boosting. As soon as I pulled up infront of my house . . . rough idle, I revved it a little, and then it died out.
Old 10-10-2003, 02:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like fuel delivery problem or knock sensor.

What ECU are you using, and check for codes.

Codes are definitely needed.

Keep us posted.

Old 10-10-2003, 04:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: CEL and Crazy idling (poison)

i'm usuing my stock p28 ECU that came with the car . . . . I primed the car a couple times . . . . fuel pump sounds excellent. I checked for leaks once again and I saw nothing. Checked my Injectors, FPR, Fuel Rail, Lines back by the gas tank, and I didn't see any fuel dripping, I didn't see any moist spots, or even smell fuel at all. I double checked the code again and it is still reading 43. I was able to start my car and reverse it in the driveway, but I don't want to push it hard or even drive it really until I can figure out the problem.
Old 10-10-2003, 04:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: CEL and Crazy idling (Vtec92Civic)

Have you tried using a different p28 ECU thats known to work correctly?? Could be a faulty ECU or wiring problem.
Old 10-10-2003, 04:49 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Vtec92Civic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i'm usuing my stock p28 ECU that came with the car . . . . I primed the car a couple times . . . . fuel pump sounds excellent. I checked for leaks once again and I saw nothing. Checked my Injectors, FPR, Fuel Rail, Lines back by the gas tank, and I didn't see any fuel dripping, I didn't see any moist spots, or even smell fuel at all. I double checked the code again and it is still reading 43. I was able to start my car and reverse it in the driveway, but I don't want to push it hard or even drive it really until I can figure out the problem. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Do you have a FPR or fuel pressure gauge?

Check your spark plugs and tell me what color they are. Brown? Black? White build up?
Old 10-10-2003, 04:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: CEL and Crazy idling (turboxsi)

well the thing is this . . . last week I had boost creep, so I took off my manifold and down pipe, but I did not touch anything else. I put on my other wastegate, and that took the boost creep away, but then this CEL 43 came up, so I don't understand what's wrong. I didn't mess with any electrical items aside from having to cut one wire to my o2 sensor that went to my AF Gauge, but I put that wire back on, so I wouldn't see how it could be a faulty ecu. Eveerythying was working fine and dandy about a week ago aside from the boost creep
Old 10-10-2003, 05:10 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Vtec92Civic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well the thing is this . . . last week I had boost creep, so I took off my manifold and down pipe, but I did not touch anything else. I put on my other wastegate, and that took the boost creep away, but then this CEL 43 came up, so I don't understand what's wrong. I didn't mess with any electrical items aside from having to cut one wire to my o2 sensor that went to my AF Gauge, but I put that wire back on, so I wouldn't see how it could be a faulty ecu. Eveerythying was working fine and dandy about a week ago aside from the boost creep </TD></TR></TABLE>

Hmm, sounds like it could be something with the V-AFC hack, resistor box wiring, or faulty resistor box.

The ECU is basically not liking the response it is getting from the injectors most likely. Check your spark plugs, and do you have an FPR? What is the fuel psi at ?
Old 10-10-2003, 05:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

no I do not have a FPR . . . just my stock one. Someone told me they had a similar problem, and it turned out to be a bad o2 sensor.
Old 10-12-2003, 04:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by poison &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Hmm, sounds like it could be something with the V-AFC hack, resistor box wiring, or faulty resistor box.

The ECU is basically not liking the response it is getting from the injectors most likely. Check your spark plugs, and do you have an FPR? What is the fuel psi at ?</TD></TR></TABLE>

No FPR . . . just my stock one. Well my car never had the irratic idle when I first started boosting, so I don't see what could be wrong. Kinda odd.
Old 10-13-2003, 01:22 PM

Try cleaning your IACV, check for vacuum leaks, tighten the fast idle valve underneath the throttle body, and tighten the idle screw..
Old 10-13-2003, 02:29 PM

had the same problem, I didn't think it was throwing a code when I jumped it but it was actually flashing a code 10 the whole time, for a IAT Sensor (Intake Air Sensor). I actually had to lengthen that wire when putting my b16 in my eg. so that connection had came loose, luckily that is all it was instead of a bad sensor or something. Mine was flashing long codes but if yours are just fast blinks then it would be a 1 for a O2 sesnor. Hope this helps.

Modified by Red94CivicDX at 5:28 PM 10/13/2003