Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

Car won't start - need help

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2016, 08:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon4 Car won't start - need help

My car was running pretty rough recently, would stutter hard under acceleration, idled rough (would randomly drop a couple hundred revs then pick it back up, then repeat again after several seconds) also if I put the pedal to the floor while driving the tech would drop to 0 even tho the car was still running and then after releasing the gas pedal the car would backfire. I was hoping it would solve itself but then last night the car was idling even worse (if left alone would drop so low it would come very close to dying) and then while driving I had to accelerate for a hill and it did what I mentioned earlier where it backfires and dies, so I pulled over and now it won't start no matter what I do (it used to start back up if I left it for a minute or so). I've been reading online and the symptoms of a bad distributor seem to fit my problem. Just wanted to get some opinions. So if you have any info that could help, or any diagnostics I can do to pinpoint the problem I'd really appreciate it!
Old 04-20-2016, 10:54 AM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Re: Car won't start - need help

With the tach. dropping to 0, the first thing I would check is the ICM, an ICM on it's way out would also account for it running rough now. 94gh, and not starting now. 94
Old 04-25-2016, 09:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

so the car is currently starting well but the accelerating problem is still occuring, however whenever i get upto roughly 3k rpm the car drives perfect. Not sure why that is? also the car shot me a TPS code, could a bad TPs cause these problems?
Old 04-26-2016, 03:04 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes, it could be a dead spot in the tps. It does happen though it's not too common. You can test it for the dark spot if you want. There are how-to's. Make sure if you replace it that you calibrate the new one correctly. Do some searches.
Old 04-26-2016, 10:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Just tested the TPS, it seems to be fine. Also i think i forgot to mention that right before it dies itll make a weird sound, almost like a moaning sound (dont really know how to describe it) and then white smoke will come out of the cold air intake