Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

camber wear on tires cause car to pull side to side?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2004, 11:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default camber wear on tires cause car to pull side to side?

EG 4dr, 17" rims, lowered quite a bit.

ok had some tires that had like 70% outside and 25% inside. took them off and mounted the other way so that the balder side was on the outside of both sides. Now the car will pull to whatever side i move the wheel (more than it should), even if a little bit. starting doing this around the same tires wheels went on.

obviously it would HAVE to be this but also i have a bad bushing in my front end. where the LCA meets the frame. it moves around a bit... idk if it is bc of this or the tires. i am getting new wheels tonight and putting them on to see if it stops doing it.
Old 11-12-2004, 12:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: camber wear on tires cause car to pull side to side? (dunkd)

well 17's are a bit big, and the bigger the rim the more noticable the pull... if you still have your steelies i would slap them on and see if it still does it. it could be because of the tire. did you get it alligned after you switched rims??
Old 11-12-2004, 12:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yah gonna try different wheels tonight.
Old 11-12-2004, 12:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You're not suppose to switch radial tyres from one side to the other.
Old 11-12-2004, 12:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

they are mounted the right way. took them off of the tires. mounted the other way, then switched which tire was on which side.
Old 11-12-2004, 01:18 PM

Default Re: (ryanstev)

u can cross rotate radial tires. but you cant cross rotate directionals

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ryanstev &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You're not suppose to switch radial tyres from one side to the other.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 11-12-2004, 01:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (vtekstorm)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by vtekstorm &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">u can cross rotate radial tires. but you cant cross rotate directionals</TD></TR></TABLE>

Nope, you shouldn't swap sides for radials at all.

After you've driven on radials for a while they start to get "broken in" and should stay on that side, you can switch axles though.

Cross ply tyres (truck tyres) can be swapped from side to side though.
Old 11-12-2004, 04:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (ryanstev)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ryanstev &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">After you've driven on radials for a while they start to get "broken in" and should stay on that side, you can switch axles though.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 11-12-2004, 05:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

werd didnt know that... thanks for the info - what exactly is bad about it? i know a lot people that have done this, and i have done it in the past with no problems...

anyway i put on 15" si's and the car still has that slight sway to it, its just not as bad. I think that the 17's were just amplifying what was wrong. the bushing it absolutely shot. When i jacked the car up I could move the wheel around. it is the bushing that is on the LCA where it mounts to the frame. Time to get that fixed before the car goes up for sale.

thanks for the info tho guys
Old 11-12-2004, 09:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (dunkd)

Just kinda curious, why do you get new tires before you get your camber fixed?
Old 11-13-2004, 07:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

not really worried about it with this car. I never have the same set of wheels on for more then a month.

its so low that if i where to get a camber kit it would just push the tires out so they hit the fenders. and also it would be hard to fit it up on an alignment rack even if i just wanted to do the toe adjustment.
Old 11-13-2004, 08:19 AM

Rim diameter makes no difference at all. Total tire height could, different offset definitely will because it alters the scrub radius and changes the toe load. That will further aggravate the LCA bushing prob.

No dissing intended: Any negative camber over about 2 degrees is plain dumb for the street. Fix that LCA bushing and raise that ride height so you won't kill yourself! A camber kit will only fix the camber prob. It'll adversely affect the negative camber gain designed into your suspension and will never solve the deadly bump steer created by excessive lowering. Sudden weight transfer seals the deal too.

Slammed cars are for trailer queen "show" cars, not suitable whatsoever for street or racing use, period.
Old 11-13-2004, 08:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

this is not a car that i drive hard or race in or anything like that. just a daily auto. flame all you want... i think anything slammed looks good. If i saw a 90 ford taurus wagon scrapin i would think it was sick... call me a ricer all you want!

and what is so dangerous about driving a car like this? besides the threat to all little animals that like to sit in the road. I understand what u mean by bump steer, i dont like how low profile 205/40/17 tires react to imperfections in the road. def be the last set I buy.

ive driven low cars for awhile and have never had a serious problem that would have caused me to die...
Old 11-14-2004, 11:57 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dunkd &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">...flame all you want...call me a ricer all you want!...</TD></TR></TABLE>

*sigh* Didn't I say something about not intending to dis you? Oh well...

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dunkd &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">...and what is so dangerous about driving a car like this?...I understand what u mean by bump steer.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Jeez guy, I'll assume you Googled "bump steer" and I'm sure you can say "it means a change in toe angle". At the risk of you getting defensive again, the question is do you have an intuitive or even practical understanding of how this affects your ability to control your car in any driving maneuver faster than just putting around?

I'm not challenging your masculinity so back off, alright? You seem to come across like an highly opinionated yet less-than-knowledgable enthusiast. Pretty typical, so don't feel like I'm singling you out, there's way too many like you out there. If you like lowered cars, that's cool with me. I agree it looks totally bitchin, but there is clearly a right and a wrong way to do it.

You came on this board asking for technical advice and I'm giving it to you. If my style grates you then I truly apologize for offending you. I tell it like it is and don't waste my time trying to sugarcoat what I determine to be a potentially dangerous screwup. I call it the way it is and can back it up with facts, so deal with it. Let's move on, shall we?.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dunkd &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">...i dont like how low profile 205/40/17 tires react to imperfections in the road.</TD></TR></TABLE>

It has nothing to do with your tire size. Read my post again. Fix your LCA bushing and check your tie rod ends while you're at it. Pretty please? With sugar on it?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dunkd &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ive driven low cars for awhile and have never had a serious problem that would have caused me to die...</TD></TR></TABLE>

..yet. I'm trying to help you prevent that possibility. Please grow up and learn to recognize when competent and experienced people are trying to help you. Peace out.

Modified by hybrid2nr at 2:00 PM 11/14/2004
Old 11-14-2004, 01:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i wasn't being angry or anything. i appreciate your knowledgable advice... thank you. sorry if i came off with an attitude, guess its hard to judge when just reading text.