Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

Big Boo-boo, help needed with ECU down.

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2014, 10:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon3 Big Boo-boo, help needed with ECU down.

Hi,

I just recently purchased a used 2004 MDX with 216,00 km. for a pretty good price. The engine sounded very smooth and quite. My wife and I loved the car.

Everything was fine until last week, I noticed there is a puddle of transmission oil on the driveway. So I parked over a clean spot. Next day, another oil spot appeared. I craw under to have a better look, found the driver side drive axle to the transmission is leaking. Upon further research on the net, I concluded that the problem is the oil seal. After a new oil seal has been installed, I accidentally over stretch the ABS speed sensor (Couldn't pull it out, fear I would break the plastic by force). When everything is done. I get VTM-4, ABS, VSD and ! with triangle light on. I suspect it must be the ABS
speed sensor fault. No DTC reported from OBD2 scanner. Just to be sure, I wanted to get the VTM-4 code by shorting pin 4 and pin 9 at OBD2 port.

Problem begin!!!
It has been a long day, and the port is placed upside down. I jumpered pin 5 and pin 16. There was a slight spark. And I couldn't read anything. I noticed I shorted the wrong wire, so I jumped 4 and 9. Got the code 21 which indicates front left ABS speed sensor fault. Then I plug in my OBD2 scanner. There was no OBD2 port detected. I try starting the car, the starter cranked, but no started. Also the shifter would not shift out of PARK. There was no power in Pin #16 (+12V). I checked every fuses (all four locations) including 7.5 A #9 Backup (ECU) Fuse. There is also no engine trouble light. According to ECU troubleshooting guide listed below, problem could be bad main relay or bad fuse. I also pulled the battery power for 1/2 hour, did't help. I hope I didn't fry the ECU.

Please help locate main relay, provide ECU wiring diagram or suggest other solutions. I might end up towing it to the dealer. I just don't want pay $$$$$ for someone to troubleshoot electrical (finding needle in haystack).

I want thank everybody in advance and appreciates all helps.

ECU Troubleshoot:
http://techauto.awardspace.com/ecu.html

OBD2 pin out

pin 4 (BLK) = chassis ground
pin 5 (BRN/YEL) = LG3 logic ground from ECU pin E3
pin 7 (LT BLU) = "K-Line" (2-way OBDII serial communications line) to ECU pin E23
pin 9 (BRN) = SCS (Service Check Signal) line to ECU pin E29
pin 12 (RED/WHT) = write-enable signal to ECU pin E30 (for rewriting the ECU)
pin 14 (GRAY) = +5V from immobilizer control unit pin 3 (probably for rewriting immobilizer codes)
pin 16 (WHT/RED) = +12V battery voltage (from #9 BACKUP fuse 7.5A)
Old 07-21-2014, 08:14 AM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Re: Big Boo-boo, help needed with ECU down.

Very, VERY high possibility you fried the ECU by putting +12v directly to ECU ground. I would pull apart the ECU and see if you can spot anything or at least give it a good smell as an extremely basic test. If you are going to be fixing your own car then you really should buy a FSM.
Old 07-21-2014, 10:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks Badturbo, I stopped by the dealer this morning, John the mechanic seems to know what my situation is. He offered to print me a circuit diagram of the ECU so I may trace the circuit before towing it to them. Very nice gesture. I would post the diagram once I get it from him tomorrow. Couldn't find any ECU circuit on the net. Worst case, new ECU is $1000 plus repair cost. Not too bad. I was thinking $3k.

I understand FSM is a valuable tool for DIY mechanic. I have it for my TDI Diesel and Grand Cherokee Overland (jeep went for a swim last month, hence I pick up the MDX). MDX is not a true off roader, but on road is pretty sweet. My 10yrs old MDX beats all other 2-3 yrs old vehicles we look at. Better refinement and engine is smooth and quite. Newer cars are build much cheaper compare to old.
Old 07-21-2014, 09:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

More help needed.

Where can I locate the ecu unit. Behind the Radio console, I found the Bose Sound module, Airbag Module, Yaw Rate Sensor, and Temperature Climate control module. Nothing behind the glove box, and nothing by steering column.
Old 07-22-2014, 07:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Found it. ECU is located under the hood, not inside the cabin.
In case anybody wants to know it's behind coolant reservoir.