Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

Best exhaust resonator packing?

Old 07-04-2010, 02:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best exhaust resonator packing?

So I want to get a new exhaust resonator and I am wondering what is the best packing for the resonator.

There is this NZKW resonator that uses fiberglass packing. Brand New NZKW Stainless Exhaust Rsonator -2.5inch for sale - TradeMe.co.nz - New Zealand

And this XRACING resonator with ceramic fiber packing HIGH FLOW S/STEEL Resonator 2.5" -:XRACING:- for sale - TradeMe.co.nz - New Zealand

Or I could go with a Coby brand resonator from a muffler shop but I believe they are just stainless steel packaging.

So what will provide the best sound and last well ?
Old 07-04-2010, 04:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Best exhaust resonator packing?

Ceramic will hold up to heat MUCH better than fiberglass (or most anything else people use for muffler packing for that matter). Check out this vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkBrho_q2GI
Old 07-04-2010, 04:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Wow impressive, what would the sound difference be? any?
Old 07-05-2010, 09:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

That video poses a more important question: why would you have the resonator 1" from the exhaust valve??? At no point will you ever find exhaust packing exposed to 1700F egt's, let alone an even hotter flame. Flame resistance has zero bearing on noise reduction.

In my experience, ceramic insulation is not nearly as fibrous as fiberglass. It tends to be small clumps of short fibers, since the fibers are very short in comparison. This means you need it packed very densely (not great for noise reduction, you want open spaces/pores), or you need a very fine mesh. Fine mesh can cause issues with strength, and if you look you'll find plenty of mufflers where the mesh fails and the packing is lost (farted out fart cans!).

I'd go with fiberglass over ceramic. Assuming the internal mesh won't fail, I'd probably go with stainless if longevity (50000+ km's) is a concern.
Old 08-23-2010, 01:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i think that vid is a bit misleading because your engine typically doesn't set fire to your exhaust. maybe the ceramic can withstand higher levels of heat "overall", but is the fiberglass durable enough to handle the heat in a typical exhaust system b pipe?
Old 08-23-2010, 03:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 67 Likes on 63 Posts

the ceramic fiber i've bought to pack my muffler project with is extremely similar in fiber length and desity as fiberglass. what's most important is to buy it in "blanket" form. what i am using is actually kiln insulation.

as for that video, it's just a dramatization. in real conditions, this just happens much more slowly at lower temps. this is part of what leads to packing blow-out. with the ceramic fiber being more resistant to heat, it's also more resistant to blow out. it lasts longer.

i won't have a sound clip as soon as i'm guessing the OP would like. but, i'll post it up when it's done anyway.
Old 08-27-2010, 12:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just as an FYI.

a true "resonator" has no packing material.
Old 08-27-2010, 03:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 67 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by nineohnine
just as an FYI.

a true "resonator" has no packing material.
right. maybe a "pre-muffler..." "absorptive exhaust attenuator.." haha. but that's a lot to say. still fair to call it a "resonator" so as to differentiate from the "muffler" down stream. common vernacular, even if it's inaccurate.