Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

Bad Cat Converter

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 03:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad Cat Converter

Hey, I keep getting bad cat converter code and ive already changed o2 sensors and reset fuse so im thinking I just need to go ahead and replace me cat and exhaust, what would be the best cat to replacd it withon a 98 accord v6?
Old 09-02-2014, 12:33 PM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Re: Bad Cat Converter

One from the Honda dealer.
Old 09-04-2014, 07:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Check out what Magnaflow has. They have 49 state legal ones that will be cheaper than a dealer option and are designed to replace factory ones.

http://www.magnaflow.com/02catalytic...irectfit=27402
Old 09-06-2014, 12:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you take it off and look through it, and if some of the holes are clogged, i've heard that you can clean it back out with something like mineral spirits (don't quote me on the actual chemical, but i think it was one of those chemicals you can pick up in the paint section)

you'd have to take it off the car, cap off one end, pour chemicals in, cap off other end, and shake i'd imagine. lol don't try to clean it while its still on the car. after seeing someone on here run sand through their motor to try and port out their head, nothing suprises me anymore lol.
Old 09-06-2014, 07:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

LOL, that reminds me of this guy on another forum who dumped a can of NOS energy drink into the gas tank of his bike because he thought that's what actual nitrous was. Many LOLs were had...

Then there was the guy who tried to flush out his engine by first draining the oil then sticking a garden hose in the fill hole then RUNNING the engine while pumping water through it. The icing on the cake was the guy was absolutely clueless as to why the engine suddenly grinded to a halt then wouldn't crank over again. MANY LOLs were had.

"Best" catalytic converter is kind of a hard one. If you want maximum longevity, I second one straight from Honda. If you want more flow and cheaper, you can probably find an off-brand deal from eBay (that's what I bought for my Ram because my budget was super-tight). If you're budget is denser though, something from Magnaflow would be great.

Syayvi aetrìp.
Old 09-06-2014, 08:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 614 Likes on 486 Posts

The Magnaflow direct fits aren't that expensive at all, typically around $200. I highly doubt you'd be able to beat that even with the cheapest of universal cats by the time you paid a muffler shop to fit it up and weld it. They are good but will not outlast the original, that may not be an issue on a car that's already sixteen years old though.

I'll third the above statement though, if the OP wants "best" as he stated, the dealer is where it's at.
Old 09-06-2014, 01:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yea there's a reason why old OEM honda cats fetch more money when you scrap them vs. an aftermarket one. they have more precious metals in them which is what makes them work better. if you plan on rockin the car til the wheels fall off as a DD, id just bite the bullet and go OEM. any aftermarket cats ive used usually ended up tripping a CEL from the o2 sensor after the cat that checks how well its working. every so often, and i'd have to reset the ECU. kind of pain in the ***. honda ecus are picky about cats. an aftermarket one will work fine mechanically (chemically? lol), but its more about how they tend to not be good enough for the stock ECUs emission requirements.
Old 09-08-2014, 02:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for all the feedback, I think im going to end up replacing the whole exhaust system, after getting a good look under the car it has holes and gaps throughout the piping. Could I get a bolt on cat to prevent having to get it welded?