Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

Automatic Trans Questions

Old 04-06-2011, 12:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 Automatic Trans Questions

I am unfamiliar with automatic transmissions apart from how they work mechanically. There are some questions I had on my mind, and hopefully someone could help me out.

What would damage a torque converter? They seem pretty rigid and I don't see how anything could damage them other than debris in the trans fluid, but it seems like debris would first damage the pump and then the transmission would stop working.

When putting the trans in overdrive, does an overdrive gear configuration set in automatically, or only when the wheels are at cruising speed?

It seems like a computer is making decisions to shift gears. If so, does this prevent the driver from downshifting to first gear at high speeds?

Are automatic transmissions easier to rebuild compared to a manual transmission?

Are the transmission designs used by Honda similar to those of other domestic companies like Ford, GM, etc?

Can a stock torque converter typically handle twice the horsepower of the stock engine?

Thanks for any replies
Old 04-06-2011, 01:19 PM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: Automatic Trans Questions

Originally Posted by wc4ohio
What would damage a torque converter? They seem pretty rigid and I don't see how anything could damage them other than debris in the trans fluid, but it seems like debris would first damage the pump and then the transmission would stop working.
Abuse mostly, neutral drops and reverse to drive are particularly hard on them.

When putting the trans in overdrive, does an overdrive gear configuration set in automatically, or only when the wheels are at cruising speed?
The transmission upshifts through the gears as the speed increases and at a certain speed and throttle position it shifts into over drive.

It seems like a computer is making decisions to shift gears. If so, does this prevent the driver from downshifting to first gear at high speeds?

Are automatic transmissions easier to rebuild compared to a manual transmission?
No, it depends on what it is (chev TH-350s are reasonably simple to build) but generally they are significantly more complex to rebuild than a comparable manual transmission.

Are the transmission designs used by Honda similar to those of other domestic companies like Ford, GM, etc?
Nope. Honda automatics are weird, they're built more like a manual transmission with clutch packs instead of synchronizers. Most other automatic transmissions use a planetary arrangement.

Can a stock torque converter typically handle twice the horsepower of the stock engine?
No, especially not a honda, the transmissions and the torque converter mostly due to their design don't hold much more than stock power reliably. Which is one of the reasons you see so few people running them.

Last edited by 94EG8; 04-06-2011 at 02:22 PM.