Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

Antenna mast removal

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2001, 12:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Antenna mast removal

Hey everyone,
Just wondering if someone has any tips on removing the antenna mast from the electric antenna on G3
tegs. Mine is worn/bent so I've bought a new mast but cant work out how to get the old one out of the
motor assembly. My Hanes manual says to remove the nut and spacer and then switch the radio on and
guide the mast out as it goes up. I've tried this but the mast just seems wedged in there. There is also a
smaller black rubber sleeve at the base of the mast and I cant remove this either.
Any ideas cos the damn clicking noise it makes (sounds like anti-aircraft artillery!!!) is really starting to
bug me.
Thanks
Mike
Old 08-28-2001, 01:49 AM

Default Re: Antenna mast removal (Mikes94)

I replaced mine about a year ago and let me tell you its a pain in the ***! You need to grab the mast and yank the hell out of it to get the old one out, especially if your car is old. If you look at your new mast you will notice there is a sliding piece of metal. That metal prevents your mast from popping out of the tube when you turn on the radio. If you are not careful, you can remove the old mast but that metal piece will still be stuck in the tube. That piece of sh*t will be hard to pull out, more than likely it will be stuck in there. What I end up doing was first pull off the old mast but the sliding metal part was stuck there. So I left it in there and instead cut off the sliding part off my new attenna mast. I used a metal clipper. Then with the radio on I pushed the white ridged part into tube and turn off the radio. Then the motor will start pulling the antenna in and at the end push the base of the mast into the old metal locking part. Goodluck
Old 08-28-2001, 04:40 PM

Default Re: Antenna mast removal (LostGsr)

Sounds like you will need the tube as well (typical). You will need to remove the motor from the car to do this. While the motor is out- take the round cover off and let the white plastic ring fall out to make sure there are no broken pieces of mast plastic in there- this will cause your antenna to not go down fully with a new mast. Have fun.
Old 08-28-2001, 07:04 PM
New User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Antenna mast removal (LostGsr)

Thats some good advice LostGsr..
If that sleeve is stuck in the tube guide, just leave it there and cut the one off the new mast assy..