Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

99 GSR Problem. I searched but cannot find answer!

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 06:50 PM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 GSR Problem. I searched but cannot find answer!

I have a 99 integra gsr and i was driving and bottomed out. I didn't pay mind to the bump and kept going. about 5 min later my oil light came on. I drive a little more about 2 more miles and my car shuts off. I manage to push it to a shop and i leave it over night. They tell me that When i bottomed out the oil pan plug had come off so everything leaked out. he also said i SHOULD replace the pan as soon as possibe because its dented in. he said i can drive like that for a while though. So next day i drive it and whenever i come to a light and hold the clutch the oil light comes on and the revs go down to almost zero. It does that for a while and it actually turns off.( When the idles start to go under 500 the oil light comes on and the car turns off) So basically every time i pushed the clutch it will idle low enough to turn off with the oil light on. If i dont hold the clutch at a stop it just idles to 200 and back up to like 700. 70% of the the times that the hold the clutch all the way down and let the rpms go down to idle level it will keep going down to 0 and turn off. i'm bringing it to the mechanic tomorrow but i would like to get a idea of what the problem could be. Do i need a new oil pan? Somebody told me it could be the oil sensor that is screwed up and it thinks there is no oil so it turns off. Is that possible to mess up if i have bottomed out? What does that have to do wit my clutch!. I did a oil change on it the same day i picked it up from the shop. Sorry for so much info but i wanted to make this as descriptive as possible. Thanks.
Old 01-11-2010, 06:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 99 GSR Problem. I searched but cannot find answer!

get new pan gsr need oil

plzno short cuts
Old 01-12-2010, 04:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ummm. more than likely your engine is toast. why would you drive with the oil light on?
Old 01-12-2010, 07:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by baller4u2nv
I have a 99 integra gsr and i was driving and bottomed out. I didn't pay mind to the bump and kept going. about 5 min later my oil light came on. I drive a little more about 2 more miles and my car shuts off. I manage to push it to a shop and i leave it over night. They tell me that When i bottomed out the oil pan plug had come off so everything leaked out. he also said i SHOULD replace the pan as soon as possibe because its dented in. he said i can drive like that for a while though. So next day i drive it and whenever i come to a light and hold the clutch the oil light comes on and the revs go down to almost zero. It does that for a while and it actually turns off.( When the idles start to go under 500 the oil light comes on and the car turns off) So basically every time i pushed the clutch it will idle low enough to turn off with the oil light on. If i dont hold the clutch at a stop it just idles to 200 and back up to like 700. 70% of the the times that the hold the clutch all the way down and let the rpms go down to idle level it will keep going down to 0 and turn off. i'm bringing it to the mechanic tomorrow but i would like to get a idea of what the problem could be. Do i need a new oil pan? Somebody told me it could be the oil sensor that is screwed up and it thinks there is no oil so it turns off. Is that possible to mess up if i have bottomed out? What does that have to do wit my clutch!. I did a oil change on it the same day i picked it up from the shop. Sorry for so much info but i wanted to make this as descriptive as possible. Thanks.
unfortunately it sounds like the engine is damaged. running the engine with no oil will ruin the bearings quickly. you should replace the pan because the dent could be blocking the oil pick-up tube. when you pull the pan look for bearing material.

as for some other questions. the oil light comes on when the engine is below 5psi of oil pressure. looks like it was working properly but unfortunately the sensor is just a warning light, it will not turn the engine off for you. also the clutch really has nothing to do with it, the car probably isnt idling well due to internal damage,
Old 01-12-2010, 07:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You probably bent the oil pickup tube under the oil pan and it is now struggling to flow enough oil. As people are saying, don't drive the car. If you don't have serious internal damage yet, you will if you keep driving without proper oiling. Once the oil situation is fixed, you'll want to check your valve clearances and even the compression if you have a chance. Poor lubrication can lead to excessive wear on the valvetrain, pistons, rings, cylinder walls.... pretty much any moving parts.
Old 01-12-2010, 05:07 PM
New User

thanks for all the input. I hope i dont have other problems and its just the oil pan not the engine. Thanks again HT