Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

95 Accord won't start, no fuel no spark, just turns over, please help

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2010, 11:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 Accord won't start, no fuel no spark, just turns over, please help

Ok, I've looked around and have found no information that fixed my problem. I have a 95 accord, i loaned it out, and was told it was not running right, overheating. i believe the head gasket was blown, and or the head was warped. it would fire up but wouldnt operate properly. then got the call it would not start anymore. i got a 94 parts accord, heard the engine run, and proceeded to remove that engine. pulled it out, freshened it up[new water pump,removed broken valve cover bolts, etc]. put all back togther, and installed in my 95, with most of the parts off my 95[intake man., distributor, etc.] the car will turn over but will not start. i have no spark and no fuel. i replaced the main relay, no change. when i turn the car on i can not her the pump fire up. i started swaping things from the parts car to see if i could get a change, like the distributor, main relay, ecu, and still have the same problems. when i bought the car it had alarm pieces in it. i removed all old alarm pieces, and had a new alarm installed. the car ran fine for month. it started running hotter, and hotter, started over heating which is why i assumed the head or headgasket was going out.

so to summarize, i have no fuel at the fuel rail, no spark at the plugs, and i'm running out of things to try. i don't have a clue where or why to begin to chase down this electrical problem. im not real good with electrical, so assume i know nothing. i have a DMM, and i need instructions for an idiot as to what to test, how exactly to test it, what the results of the test should be, and what to test 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc..

PLEASE HELP ME BEFORE MY DAILY DRIVER BREAKS DOWN AND I DONT HAVE RIDE TO SCHOOL OR WORK.

I need to get my accord running so i can park my integra and do the repair and maintaince before i'm really screwed.

ANYBODY, EVERYBODY, PLEASE HELP ME.
THANK YOU
Old 05-16-2010, 05:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 95 Accord won't start, no fuel no spark, just turns over, please help

NOBODY HAS ANY IDEAS ON THIS? PLEASE I NEED MY ACCORD RUNNING. I started wondering if mybe i left a ground off somewhere, but i cant find nything not hooked up or wrong. we are swaping parts out, testing, and all i hve accomplished is to waste precious time.
PLEASE SOMBODY HELP ME, POINT ME IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION...
Old 05-16-2010, 08:15 AM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Re: 95 Accord won't start, no fuel no spark, just turns over, please help

I would start at the ign. switch.

A simple 12V test light is all you need.

There must be power getting to the ign. switch, [white lead] as the engine cranks, "the car will turn over", so the main fuse is good and connections to the ign. switch are good.

You need to test for power on the ign. output lead, at ign. switch harness, [black/yellow] when ign. switch is in the run and start positions.

Ign. switch problems are common on older Honda/Acura.

If you have power on the black/yellow at ign. switch harness test for power at the distributor assembly, [also most likely a black/yellow] with ign. switch in run and start.

Let me know what you find. 94
Old 05-16-2010, 11:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have power on ign. output lead. i have power going into the distributor. i dont have power going to the coil in the dstributor....
what now?
Old 05-16-2010, 12:58 PM
fcm
Old Fart

Then there must be a connection problem, have you checked the distributor assemblies connection plug?

Also check for power to the PGM-FI Main Relay, there is one 12V constant, [hot at all times] a 12V start, [hot in start only] and a 12V ign., [hot in run and start].

There are two 12V outputs from the PGM-FI Main Relay, one from the injector relay to the injectors, ECU/ECM and a few engine valve/solenoids, this lead is hot at all times when ign. switch is in run or start, the other isfrom the fuel pump relay, it is hot only when ECU/ECM energizes the relay, on for a few sec. when ign. switch is turned on to run and when engine is running.

If you can not hear the fuel pump prime then there is a problem at the PGM-FI Main Relay, if the relay is new. [or known working one] then the proplem is either with the power/ground wiring to it or the ECU/ECM.

Start by making sure the PGM-FI Main Relay is getting power and has a ground. 94
Old 05-16-2010, 02:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok, i lied, i do have 12V at the coil in the distributor with key on. We also varified that the fuel pump is working. The distributor connection plug seems fine. we have power going to the m relay, but we cant find a ground at the main relay plug. im guessing this could be the bulk of my problem??? how can i go about finding a bad or unhooked ground? where can i find a ground layout/diagram for my car?
Old 05-19-2010, 06:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok i am as conused s ever. I am disabled so i have friends being my hands and doing the work which is why i get so many different results.
My relay is getting power and ground. i am back at square 1, and have no idea what to try or do next. I still have no spark at plugs and no fuel at the rail. my f pump does work. i have tried swapping the ignition switch and the Ignition S. harness out with those off my parts car and still have the same results.
SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME AND POINT ME IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION.
Thank You.
Old 05-19-2010, 03:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

everything checks out but i still have no spark or fuel.. im about to put a match in the gas tank... im at my sanity's end.. please help me..
Old 05-20-2010, 06:16 AM
fcm
Old Fart

Your fuel pump works but you have no fuel at the rail?????
Have you checked the fuel filter, are you getting fuel to the filter/past the filter?

Have you checked the ICM, if your getting power to the coil I would guess you have a problem in the distributor, either the coil, ICM or TDC/CKP/CYP sensor(s)

I would definitely start with finding out why you have no fuel at the rail even though the fuel pump works, have you done a fuel pressure check?

One more thing, the PGM-FI Main Relay has one ground, injector relays coil is grounded to chassis, there are 3 powers for the PGM-FI Main Relay, first is a 12V constant, [hot at all times] second is a 12V switched, [hot in run and start] the third is a 12V switched, [hot during cranking to start only] unplug the relay and test for all three powers.
Once you have confirmed you have all three powers, [note the wire colors] plug the relay back in and turn on the ign., there should be two 12V outputs, one from the fuel injector relay, [hot as long as ign, switch is in run or start] the other is from the fuel pump relay, [hot for a few sec. after ign, switch is turned on, priming. 94
Old 05-22-2010, 07:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

We verified the f pump works by jumping power and ground to it from the battery. it does not come on from ignition switch. we unhooked f line from fuel rail after filter and when we jumped power it strted spitting fuel all over so pump and filter re fine.

we swapped distributor from my parts car(which ran when we pulled motor) and still no spark @ plugs, no fuel at rail. i find it hard to believe that both cars distributor/sensors crapped out t the same time? we tried to just swap coil 1st then whole ditributor. but even if that was the case would bad distributor/sensor stop the power to f. pump?

i dont know what to do to chase down my mising f.pump power issue, and i have not done f presure check but i'm sure its fine, like i said when we jumped power it spit it out all over.

i will verify the main relay powers you explained and let you know the results later today.
Thank you for all your help, at this point you are my only hope to get this running. jm
Old 05-22-2010, 07:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i figured out my issues..
ok just so u understand my sitution, i'm disabled. i really have no use of either hand and not much use of 1 arm. so i have friends act as my hands for many things including my wrenching. i have friends ranging from the clueless about wrenching and cars to pretty damn knowledgeable gearheads, and all have done at least a little wrenching for this 4month project[pull 2 engines install 1]. at this point in the end its mostly the guy who knows nothing workin 4 me. should been watchin him closer..

so im verifing m relay harness power/ground as u last sugested. [again cause the 1st time prw/grd were not what u said should be]. im getting ground on 4 of 7 wires, full constant prw on 1, partial prw on 3 of 7, and when in run i got prw/prt prw at 6 of 7.... WTF....
i have him start pulling air boxes, cruise control, batt., i start tearing things back out. im looking over wireharness and see a big ground comming out of a section and verify its mounting is good when it dawns on me, thats not ground wire its 1 of my 2 main power wires comming ut of my fuse box under hood. STUPID took a break relieved i had found my problem. when we got back to work were checking wire routing to make it as neat as possiable before we reassemble, and i see part of harness looped back into itself with a plug..... after second or two i see a second harness looped back into itself same way.... "see if those plugs will swap".... sure enough.. might have been a good thing they were switched, gotta assume i would have fried alot of important stuff if that grounded power were hooked up right. swapped the plugs, moved power wire to power, after a jump she fired up..

Thank you for your time and help, i wonder how much longer i would have messed with if i didnt have you giving me ideas.

Thank you. jm
Old 05-23-2010, 10:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks, my friend has a similar problem and now I can tell him.