Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

93 hatch. Car won't start at random times

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2013, 05:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 93 hatch. Car won't start at random times

Hey guys I've been looking for some answer but have yet to find something solid. The car is a 93 hatch with a type R swap(b18) and occasionally the car won't start. I mean the engine won't turn at all. I have replace the starter, main relay is good. When I turn the key I hear it clicking also if I push start the car it'll start right away so it's not the fuel pump. I don't think it's the rubber piece under the clutch pedal since I can start my car without pressing the pedal. The only other thing I'm think is my ignition switch, but if it was that won't my pump and everything else not be working? Any advice and suggestions are welcome. I really don't know what else it could be.
Old 10-19-2013, 05:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 93 hatch. Car won't start at random times

Anybody..
Old 10-20-2013, 03:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^
Old 10-20-2013, 05:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

My guess would be ignition switch is going bad.
Old 10-20-2013, 07:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If its a single click, clean ur battery terminals n make sure they r tight! I kno alota guys leave the terminal bolts loose n jus stick em on then twist so they dnt come off, NOT such a good idea
Old 10-20-2013, 07:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I was thinking of the ignition switch as well. The battery I have already checked and tighten my terminals, but I guess it wouldn't hurt to double check. I was under the impression that if my ignition switch was bad nothing in the car would work... Like lights and stuff, also my relay wouldn't click.
Old 10-21-2013, 07:09 AM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Redo your main grounds, disconnect/clean/reconnect the batt. to chassis and chassis to engine grounds.

If the "click" you hear is from under the dash it is the starter relay clicking, ign. switch is not the problem, it may be the relay.
If the "click" is from the engine bay, [starter solenoid] again the ign. switch is not the problem, it is also not the starter relay, it is either the starter solenoid, [high current contacts] or the starter motor itself.

Try a bypass jump, supply power from the batt. directly to the solenoid [make sure car is not in gear].

If engine cranks the solenoid and starter are fine and I would look at the starter relay. 94
Old 10-21-2013, 07:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah everything I turn the key I hear it a click. I'm not completely sure where the clicking is coming from, and like I said I just replace the starter so I don't think it's the starter. Ill defenatly check my grounds again and my relay. Just to be sure. I only have three grounds on the car not counting the battery.... Thermostat, valve cover, and tranny. Is there another one I'm missing?
Old 10-21-2013, 08:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So I tried the bypass jump you mentioned and the car still didn't start. I heard the starter solenoid click when I put the wire to the battery. Any idea what that could mean? I have a new starter. I also tried changing main relays since I had another one laying around but thing.
Old 10-21-2013, 04:20 PM
fcm
Old Fart

Either the starter/starter solenoid is bad, [DOA if it is a new one] or you still have a grounding problem.

The PGM-FI Main Relay has nothing to do with engine cranking.

Your main grounds are the batt. to cars chassis and car chassis to engine, [tranny]

If the starter solenoid clicks when using the key the problem is not the starter relay.

To see if it is a grounding problem connect a jumper cable to the batt. neg.(-) terminal and the other end to the engine and try starting the engine, if it works it is a grounding problem.

You can do the same with the power, pos.(+) of the batt. to the batt. cable terminal on the starter motor. 94
Old 10-21-2013, 08:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks a lot I'll try hooking up a wire from the ground post to the engine and see if it's starts like that.
Old 10-23-2013, 07:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I tried putting a ground wire from the battery to starter/tranny and nothing car still won't turn on. It's the same thing it'll clicck but it won't turn. Before it'll start mostly all the the time and it'll just give me the problem once in a while but now it won't start at all.
Old 10-23-2013, 08:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Another thing the clicking sound. I'm pretty sure it's coming from under the dash.
Old 10-23-2013, 11:20 AM
fcm
Old Fart

The click from under the dash will be the starter relay.

I am guessing it is the high current contacts in the starter motor solenoid that are bad, [worn out]...
https://honda-tech.com/forums/showth...+starter+motor 94
Old 10-23-2013, 03:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey just I was able to start the car by running a wire from the positive battery terminal to the starter, it took several tries but I can start the car like that. Does that mean is the relay? I really doubt is the starter since it was doing it before I changed the starter. I only changed the starter cause it started doing this. I guess I'll see if I can get a new relay and see if that fixes the problem.
Old 10-23-2013, 03:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If that doesn't work I'll look into the starter solenoid. Thanks a lot by the way.
Old 10-24-2013, 07:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So this is the sucker right there now the problem is how do I reach to get it out? It's kinda hard to see through the pic but there's no room at all in there. Any ideas on how to get to it?
Attached Images  
Old 10-24-2013, 12:46 PM
fcm
Old Fart

The starter solenoid, [or starter] is not the problem if a bypass jump, [running wire from batt. pos.(+) to starter motor] works.

Your problem is either the ign. switch, CIS, starter relay or wiring connections.

So the next test is to test for power on the starter lead, [the one that unplugs from the starter motor solenoid] unplug it from the starter motor solenoid and connect a test light, [or meter] to it and turn ign. switch to start, do you have power on that lead?

If not, move to that starter relay and test for powers and ground there...

The black/white leads, [2 of them] should be 12V+ when ign. switch is turned to start.
The blue/black lead should be a ground when the clutch is stepped on.
The black\red lead should be 12V+ when ign. is turned to start and clutch is stepped on.

The red/black becomes the black/white that plugs into the starter solenoid.

In a pinch you can unplug the starter relay and use a jumper to connect one of the black/whites with the black/red, be careful, engine will crank/start in gear, CIS is bypassed. 94
Old 10-24-2013, 03:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If I get power from the starter lead, would that mean it's not my starter relay?
Old 10-24-2013, 03:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Also I don't need to step on the clutch to start the car. So the CIS shouldn't be the problem, right?
Old 10-24-2013, 05:13 PM
fcm
Old Fart

Even if you get power from the starter lead, it may still be the relay, it depends on how much currant/voltage you get from the lead, burnt contacts in the relay will limit currant and voltage to the point that there is not enough to energize the solenoid.

To test, [if you have power on the starter lead] plug it back into the starter solenoid with the rubber boot peeled back to the test light/meter probe can still be connected to it then try starting the engine, ands see what the voltage is at the lead, if it drops a lot, [some drop is normal], unplug the relay and jump the black/white to the red/white and see if that works, if it does, replace the relay, or just leave it jumped, the only relason the relay is there is so you can't start the car without stepping on the clutch, but it sounds like the CIS is already bypassed, [jumped], all the relay does is close the circuit between the ign. switch and the starter solenoid, when the clutch is stepped on. 94
Old 10-24-2013, 05:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Alright cool. I'll try tomorrow first thing in the morning. It's just that relay is a bitch to reach.
Old 10-25-2013, 11:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So I did the test. After unplugging the starter solenoid and try to start the car I got 12.7 volts. When I hooked it back to the starter and tried to start the car I got 6.8 volts. I disconnected the starter relay and tried to jump the wires. One thing tho, you said to jump the white and red and white and black. I don't have a red and white. I have two black and white, red and black, and blue and white. I tried jumping the red and black with both white and black and nothing. Does that mean it's my ignition switch?

Last edited by Jmx305; 10-25-2013 at 11:43 AM.
Old 10-25-2013, 12:58 PM
Trial User

wont hurt to double check ur battery! may have a bad cell!
Old 10-25-2013, 03:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I mean the car starts up fine if I push it or jump it. Plus I'm getting 12.7 volts from it.

Quick Reply: 93 hatch. Car won't start at random times