Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

Electrical charging Issues 99 Ek Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 05:19 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon6 Electrical charging Issues 99 Ek Coupe

Little back ground story:
Car was working fine up to this point. My father plugged in one of those cigarette lighter air compressor's in for my tires. They were a little low. After this I started heading back to my apartment an hour away about half way there my car started dying. Radio started going nuts. Dash went out then the car started dying. Finally pushed the car to the limit and it died. Got jumped and got home barely.

I replaced the alternator in the car last night. Battery just needed to get jumped again. I started the car. Died only a minute or so later same issue. This is a brand new alternator and the battery is fine. I opened up the under hood fuse box there is that burning electronics smell. I checked all the fuses i.e 80 Amp, 40 Amp electrical fuses. All look in good condition. I am thinking that this issue is the ELD, maybe the cigarette lighter fried it? I am wondering what you guys think? I don't believe its the Alternator fuse since it is located interior car fuse box. I am not throwing and CEL as of yet. Could this be a fuse that I am not seeing blown. I checked a couple of forms and searched and i saw one post that suggested the cigarette lighter and the alternator are on the same relay to the fuse?

TL;DR- Not Battery and not Alternator. Burning smell from fuse box.

Car: 1999 Honda Civic EK Coupe
Motor: d16 v
Stock- Automatic Trans- No performance or sound upgrades
Old 11-15-2012, 10:43 AM
Trial User

Default Re: Electrical charging Issues 99 Ek Coupe

Bump
Old 11-15-2012, 05:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

check the fuse that protects the cigarette lighter. Then check the plug for it under the fusebox. most likely the fuse was a cheap chinese one and didn't blow and melted something
Old 11-15-2012, 06:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Fuse # 15
Old 11-16-2012, 06:07 AM
Trial User

I did some more investigating I checked fuses 15 and the cigarette light fuse. None were blow. Luckily my ELD is not soldered not my fuse box. I pulled it last night and it looks like the smell is coming from the ELD or there is a short from the wires in the ELD. I believe the ELD is the problem because i can still have the car start its just not getting power from the alternator for the battery to stay charged. I am on my way to get a whole "new" fuse box because they don't sell just the ELD from a junk yard. Any other ideas just in case this doesn't work?
Old 11-16-2012, 07:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Check your ground by the thermostat it might be lose..
Old 11-16-2012, 08:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbodreamer08
I did some more investigating I checked fuses 15 and the cigarette light fuse. None were blow. Luckily my ELD is not soldered not my fuse box. I pulled it last night and it looks like the smell is coming from the ELD or there is a short from the wires in the ELD. I believe the ELD is the problem because i can still have the car start its just not getting power from the alternator for the battery to stay charged. I am on my way to get a whole "new" fuse box because they don't sell just the ELD from a junk yard. Any other ideas just in case this doesn't work?
Does the battery light on the dash work?

The alternator should charge regardless of the ELD functionality, with no load. The ELD is only there to notify the PCM when to increase the alternators charging output. But the Alternator will charge with out it. (the ELD will also set a check engine light if there is a fault) You may have a faulty new alternator if youre sure the fuses and wiring are good.