Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

1996 EX Auto Wagon Random dies

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2013, 06:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1996 EX Auto Wagon Random dies

Right, After using this forum and getting to the end of my tether its time to get other opinions.

Symptoms:
Car would work perfectly fine, when driving on open road the engine would die, electrics stay on fine just the engine. Pull over, restart fine straight away and of we go.
We noticed this happen twice in a two year period, until about two months ago it had gotten more frequent and harder to start (Would need to leave longer periods before start again) Until now the car won't start at all.

After reading the forums I have tested and replaced what I can.

New, Distributer cap and rotor (The old ones were corroded) then the Igniter.
I thought the Igniter may have sorted things but no,
So then I checked the spark which is fine, plenty of spark.
Next on the list was main relay as it appeared there was no fuel getting through as the plugs were bone dry after trying to start.
Seemed to be fine was clicking as it should, I checked and re soldered just incase, put back in and still clicking fine.
Attention was now on the fuel pump, listened for it to click on at the fuel filler and no noise. Hummmm

This is were I'm at now,
Dropped the tank hooked fuel pump upto 12v source works fine, Test the wires supplying the pump shows 12v for 3 seconds on my multimeter when turn key to on as it should, but it won't power a 12v test light??
So how can it power a fuel pump?
This is were I'm stumped,
I think there maybe two other things that could relate, correct me if I'm wrong. Bad earth somewere or Bad ECU?

Please help
Old 11-06-2013, 09:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 1996 EX Auto Wagon Random dies

After a lot of mucking around I found it was a faulty car alarm!!! It was connected into the fuel pump wire and in the circuit board of the alarm there was two cracked solder joints, soldered them up again and now good as new!!!!

Man it did my head in!

I see I go no replies but I think I posted in the wrong topic? Tried to move or delete but couldn't find how to do this.

Cheers!!