Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

1992 Accord fuel pressure problem

Old 04-16-2016, 08:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1992 Accord fuel pressure problem

Please help, I'm somewhat of a beginner to these Hondas. I have a 1992 Accord (f22a6) and I have very low fuel pressure before the fuel filter. I took my inlet line off of my filter and turned the ignition on and could visibly see that there was between 5 to 15 psi. Due to that, it is very difficult to start. I have to turn the ignition on and off several times to sort of prime the system of fuel before trying to start the car. After car starts seems to run fine ( no tags on the vehicle so can only go very short distances to test it). I do suspect a faulty fuel pump however I'm trying to get this thing running right at the bare minimum cost, and I can clearly hear the fuel pump cut on for three seconds when the ignition is cut on. It does sound odd though, as if the turbine inside the pump gets stuck for the first 2 seconds when the ignition turns on, then finally spins at the last second. Plus I just spent the majority of the day dropping the tank and removing the fuel pump to insect for leaks or dirt and rust in the tank, so I'm trying to avoid dropping the tank again if I don't have to. So I guess what I'm asking is there anything else I should check before I just go replace the fuel pump assuming that is the problem behind my low fuel pressure? Any help much appreciated. Thanks.
Old 04-16-2016, 08:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 1992 Accord fuel pressure problem

Originally Posted by Joey Mitchell
Please help, I'm somewhat of a beginner to these Hondas. I have a 1992 Accord (f22a6) and I have very low fuel pressure before the fuel filter. I took my inlet line off of my filter and turned the ignition on and could visibly see that there was between 5 to 15 psi. Due to that, it is very difficult to start. I have to turn the ignition on and off several times to sort of prime the system of fuel before trying to start the car. After car starts seems to run fine ( no tags on the vehicle so can only go very short distances to test it). I do suspect a faulty fuel pump however I'm trying to get this thing running right at the bare minimum cost, and I can clearly hear the fuel pump cut on for three seconds when the ignition is cut on. It does sound odd though, as if the turbine inside the pump gets stuck for the first 2 seconds when the ignition turns on, then finally spins at the last second. Plus I just spent the majority of the day dropping the tank and removing the fuel pump to insect for leaks or dirt and rust in the tank, so I'm trying to avoid dropping the tank again if I don't have to. So I guess what I'm asking is there anything else I should check before I just go replace the fuel pump assuming that is the problem behind my low fuel pressure? Any help much appreciated. Thanks.
Also, I have checked the solder points on my main relay and over a visual inspection they seemed fine.
Old 04-17-2016, 05:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can bench test the fuel pump to see if the fuel pump is the issue.

You should then test the voltage at the fuel pump vehicle harness & ground to make sure those are not the issue.
Old 04-17-2016, 05:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 67 Likes on 67 Posts

If you are not getting a full 12v to the pump that would cause a lower output from the pump. Just a drop of 2 volts can cause hard starts and stumbling under load.

I believe there is an access panel for the pump wires under the rear seat. So you won't have to drop the tank again, at least not to test for voltage. The fuel pump must be running in order to test for any voltage drop. A voltage drop of up to 0.5v on the power and ground side of the pump is acceptable.

Also check for kinks or dents in the fuel line between the pump and fuel filter.
Old 04-23-2016, 05:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the help guys. I've finally got around to testing the voltage to my fuel pump at the access panel in the trunk. Seems to be between 9 and 10 volts when the ignition is in the on position for the three seconds that the pump turns on, and a steady 12 when the car is running. There are no visible kinks or bends in the fuel lines, and I double checked my fuel pressure again, still only a visible 5 to 10 psi. So I'm under the assumption it is indeed the pump malfunctioning. However it seems strange that it has been doing this for at least a year, and has only gotten slightly worse. So I believe my next step will be a fuel pump bench test. I'm not sure how to do this and see if the pump is functioning properly, because it is functioning somewhat. So how would I go about doing a bench test that will tell me if the pump is working like it should?