Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

02 civic eld power problem well i think i found out what i need to do to get it to always be puttin

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2005, 06:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 civic eld power problem well i think i found out what i need to do to get it to always be puttin

now in one part of this it stats that grounding somthing will keep in in high charg mode what do i have to do and as far as the eld with the voltage is ther a way to send a cretain voltage to that wire to make it also high or will just getting the altnator in high charg mode work like i think but still from this dont understand :-) and it to late to go back i cut all my wires like a dork now i just need to know what one will put it in high charg and what wire it is and ware do i ground it to the neg on the bat termnal or can i hve the ecm reprogramed not to do that or somthing at this point i will do anything to keep my voltgage right i have a 150 amp altinator

please help thanks

The second difference is a square harness connector containing terminals IG, L, FR and C If this combination sounds familiar, it's because we covered it in a previous column. Note that beginning with the 1998 Civic. Honda equipped most of its cars with a four-terminal alternator. The good news is that the vast majority of them are Nippondensos, a few are Mitsubishis.
Delphi uses a vehicle-specific voltage regulator to "Honda-ize" its CS 130D for the Accord and CL. Because you test this hybrid alternator just like a common four-terminal Honda unit, we'll review operation of terminals IG, L, FR and C.
Battery voltage must be present at the IG (Ignition) terminal whenever the ignition switch is on or the engine is running. Powering up IG turns on the voltage regulator, which operates the field circuit. Turning on the field circuit makes the alternator charge.
The alternator should charge when you carefully jumper battery voltage to IG (assuming there's a good connection between the positive battery post and the alternator's B+ terminal). If it charges, look for a wiring problem on the vehicle. If it doesn't charge, remove the alternator because the problem is inside the unit.
L (Lamp) operates the charge indicator lamp by grounding it. The voltage regulator should unground L when the alternator begins charging, shutting off the idiot light.
FR (Field Circuit Monitor) is a 5-volt reference voltage the ECM sends to the voltage regulator whenever the ignition is on or the engine is running. FR is connected to the ground side of the field (ground side of the rotor). Every time the voltage regulator grounds the rotor, it turns on the field circuit and makes the alternator charge. Grounding the rotor also pulls FR voltage downward.
The greater the electrical demand, the longer the regulator grounds both the rotor and FR voltage. Of course, electrical load influences the ECM's decisions. One way the ECM senses electrical load is by monitoring how long FR voltage remains low. Another way is through the Electronic Load Detection (ELD) signal.
C (Computer) is the terminal that shifts this alternator's unique voltage regulator back and forth from normalcharge to low-charge modes. Normalcharge mode means the alternator charges at about 14.0 to 14.7 volts. But when there's no significant load on the electrical system or the engine, the ECM grounds terminal C, limiting charging voltage to about 12.6 to 12.8 volts. The low-charge mode saves fuel during light-throttle driving.
Typically; the ECM won't ground terminal C until the engine is fully warmed up and the vehicle is moving faster than approximately 10 mph. Flooring the gas pedal, turning on the a/c or applying the brakes cues the ECM to quickly shift back to normal-charge mode.
Most Hondas using this dual-mode charging system go back to normal charging voltage by about 40 mph or by turning the headlights onto low beam. As a case in point, the two '98 Accords we checked went back into normal charge by about 43 and 47 mph, respectively. Also, just turning on the parking lights put these systems back into the normal-charge mode.
Remember that the voltage regulator on these dual-mode charging systems still operates the alternator light in the traditional way. Terminal C has no effect on the charge indicator light.
The ECM on a dual-mode Honda/Acura charging system also senses electrical load via the ELD sensor, a glorified shunt inside the main fuse panel in the right rear corner of the engine compartment. The ECM sends a 5-volt reference voltage to the ELD. Like all the earlier ELDs we've seen, this reference voltage wire happens to be green/red. The greater the current flow through the main fuse panel, the lower the ELD pulls this reference voltage.
On earlier ELD systems, Honda usually specified that the ELD signal be within 2.5 to 3.5 volts with the parking lights on and 1.5 to 2.5 volts with the headlights on low beam. On this hybrid Delphi charging system, the manual simply states that the ELD signal should drop when the headlights are turned on.
The ELD's green/red reference voltage wire is always located inside a threepin connector. The other two wires in this connector are battery voltage and ground for the ELD sensor. Suppose the ELD has power, ground and a good reference voltage from the ECM. Let the engine idle with all accessories off. If voltage on the green/red wire doesn't drop when you turn on the headlights, the ELD has failed. Fixing it requires replacing the main fuse box.
A hard ELD failure should set OBI) II code P1297 or P1298. If your scanner won't retrieve these Honda-specific codes, locate the blue, two-terminal test connector under the right edge of the dash near the kick panel. When you turn the ignition on and jumper these two terminals together, the Check Engine light (MIL) flashes basic trouble codes in a traditional long-flash/shortflash format.
Code 20, which is two long flashes, indicates an ELD problem. Remember the ECM will continue flashing a code-with a pause between each code-as long as the blue connector is jumpered and the ignition is on.

Modified by HondaCivic02EX at 8:04 PM 11/26/2005

Modified by HondaCivic02EX at 3:38 AM 11/28/2005