Notices
Suspension & Brakes Theory, alignment, spring rates....

Suspension Problem: 1995 Honda Civic DX Coupe (166,xxx miles on chassis)

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2006, 05:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension Problem: 1995 Honda Civic DX Coupe (166,xxx miles on chassis)

Hola people,

<FONT COLOR="red"><FONT SIZE="5">*NOTE: Please read the whole post before assuming anything. Thank you*</FONT></FONT>

Hey I just purchased a used 1995 Honda DX Coupe (166,xxx miles on chassis). Here's the setup.

- D16Z6 Swap (Manual)
- Tokico Blues (Seem blown already)
- Tenzo R Progressive Rate Springs (I think they are rated upto 300 lb/ft on compression)
- Power Steering
- Camber kits (front - skunk 2, rear - k sport)

There is a bit of a problem. I am not sure if it is the bushing or what not and I have asked this question a couple months ago as well. If the car is at a dead stop, w/o the engine running, I can jerk the steering wheel to the right and left (almost like just checking to see if it is tight) and it seems to make a clunking noise outside the car in the steering rack. I am not sure if it is the whole rack & pinion setup moving or a loose part that is connected to the steering rack.

Also, another concern is that on the driver's side, there seems to be a rattle (Sounds like a piece of metal hitting the chassis when vibrating) everytime I rev up around 1000 to 1500 rpm. It goes away before that and after that RPM range. I have changed out the Upper ball joint (actually the whole Upper arm it self for adjustables) and have changed the outer tie rod. I've checked the heat shield on header. It is missing bolts but it is not tied to the sound I've been hearing (ive checked).

The reason I have posted in here, is because I know it has to be one of the bushings or an engine mount. It seems to do the problem when the car is in Drive only as well, not in neutral.

Thank you,
Jon
Old 11-03-2006, 09:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Suspension Problem: 1995 Honda Civic DX Coupe (CRX-Fluffy)

What is the condition of your tie rod ends? If they are busted and have a lot of play, they might cause a clunking sound only notice if the car is not moving because you'd otherwise not be able to hear it over the noise of the engine and the road.

As far as the rattle, its a longshot, but I had the same mystery sound on my old DB8, and it turns out that there was an arm for a hanger on the side of my cat that was unused, and rubbing against the undercarriage. It would only happen at certain RPM's like your problem, and got worse when I turned the steering wheel a lot during slow corners. I had a "universal fit" Catco cat.
Old 11-03-2006, 12:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Suspension Problem: 1995 Honda Civic DX Coupe (PIC Performance)

hmm i just installed brand new outer tie rod ends. I checked the inner tie rods and they are in good condition. Also, the rattle is distinctly coming from the driver's side fender area. If it was the catalytic converter I would hear it under but it isnt. Thanks for the help, it is much appreciated.

Anyone else seem to know?
Old 11-03-2006, 01:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The rattle could be the exhaust manifold or cat heat shield. That same problem seems to plague many cars.

Also, 300 lb/ft springs? Those have got to be the softest suspension springs the world has ever known... Thats equivalent to 25 lbs/in, and I don't know about Civics, but my Integra came with 220/110 lbs/in springs stock...
Old 11-03-2006, 01:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

There isn't much that rattles in that area that I can think of, if it was loose nuts and bolts it still wouldn't rattle unless there was no load on the corner. Is it possibly the brake line not secured to the bracket?

Maybe the tie rods are rubbing/making contact with the front swaybar somehow? Check for wear marks on the bar and the tie rods.
Old 11-03-2006, 01:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Suspension Problem: 1995 Honda Civic DX Coupe (TunerN00b)

lol must have got my dimensions messed up. I assume it is in lb/in *shrug* anyways they arent all that hard or too soft. Just some general progressive rates.

Also, there is no sway bar on the DX. I could check out the shields again. Gonna have to call someone over to rev the car while I check it w/ a stethoscope to make sure where is it vibrating.

Thanks for the help.
Old 11-05-2006, 06:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

no luck i cant figure out this problem. My heat shield makes a slight rattle but not to the extend of how loud when it rattles when driving in first gear. I swear it is coming from the driver's side. Something is hitting! Could it be a lower ball joint? And when I go over a bump my car will HARD STEER right when i slow down.

I have already got an alignment
Old 11-05-2006, 07:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

There's a fairly good chance that its the steering rack then.
Old 11-05-2006, 06:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Suspension Problem: 1995 Honda Civic DX Coupe (PIC Performance)

thats what I was thinking. Anyone know how to change it out lol
Old 11-16-2006, 01:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Found out what the prob was. Clanking was coming from the stopper engine mount on the front left (the bolts somehow got lost on the road).

I put in some new bolts and no more rattle!