Notices
Suspension & Brakes Theory, alignment, spring rates....

Suspension Mods

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2013, 12:16 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension Mods

Former Jeep guy now in a Honda. I'm looking for opinions on my suspension. I was looking into Spec D's lowering springs and f/r strut bars and a set of their f/r tie bars. Would they be worth it on a DD? I don't race or anything, but the cornering abilities stock sucks. I liked having a stiff suspension in my jeep so its motivating me to do the same to this.

Only suspension Mods thus far are energy suspension sway bar links and bracket bushings.

Thanks guys
Old 12-04-2013, 08:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Suspension Mods

Upgrade the sway bars, you will definitely notice the difference. Good shocks that lock up on bumps or hard maneuvering are nice to have too.

Inspect your suspension bushings for wear or sagging, replace as needed.

Inspect front end parts for looseness and replace as needed.

Lowering the tire profile will increase steering response, I had 205/60/16 which is not the lowest profile, but with air pressure tweaking when needed, will get you a better feel without sacrificing DD properties.
Old 12-04-2013, 11:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

For springs, stick with name brands.....Tein, Eibach, H&R, Neuspeed. Most of these brands have a couple different spring options, so find what drop/stiffness you want and go from there. Make sure to pair them with good shocks (Koni or Tokico are good choices).

Personally though, I would just skip a spring/shock combo, and go straight to coilovers. Most people end up upgrading down the road anyways. No use spending money twice. And a good coilover setup will really only cost maybe $100 more than a spring shock combo.....plus you get height adjustability, and in some cases damping adjustment.

If I had to recommend a great DD setup, it would be Koni Yellow shocks with Ground Control coilover sleeves. The setup goes for around $800, where as a Koni Yellow/Eibach or Koni Yellow/Neuspeed spring setup would run around $700. You get added height adjustability, along with the ability to choose your spring stiffness when ordering (which is awesome). Plus, both Koni and Ground Control have lifetime warranties on their products.

For sway bars.....do the rear first. That will make the biggest difference. A big rear sway bar, paired with a stock front one will give the car a very good handling balance and really decrease understeer. You didn't specify what kind of Honda you have, but if it is a Civic or Integra, you'll want a rear sub frame brace when you get a rear sway bar.

Strut bars really don't make a huge difference.......the same goes with tie bars. I wouldn't worry about them until after you get new suspension and sway bars.

And like slowcivic2k said.....replace any worn bushings with new ones. That will really help as well.

Last edited by 1996accordlx; 12-05-2013 at 05:05 PM.
Old 12-05-2013, 04:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 614 Likes on 486 Posts

OP, what chassis?

Strut bars aren't a terrible mod if you have strut suspension. Completely qualitative on a dwb car though.
Old 12-05-2013, 11:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1996accordlx
For sway bars.....do the rear first. That will make the biggest difference. A big rear sway bar, paired with a stock front one will give the car a very good handling balance and really increase understeer. You didn't specify what kind of Honda you have, but if it is a Civic or Integra, you'll want a rear sub frame brace when you get a rear sway bar.
Lots of good suggestions, but just wanted to correct the typo in the third line - should read 'decrease understeer'
Old 12-05-2013, 05:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

lol oops.....typing too fast for my own good again.