Notices
Suspension & Brakes Theory, alignment, spring rates....

Stering wheel shakes, plus acceleration vibration and car shakes at higher speeds

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 07:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stering wheel shakes, plus acceleration vibration and car shakes at higher speeds

So I bought an Integra GS-R
The 5th one I bought. Pretty stoked right? Well I am, it's pretty much mint inside and out but there are a couple issues...
First off, the steering wheel will vibrate from 80km/h - 120km/h
Secondly, the body vibrates intermittently from 110km/h +
I want to hope the issue is just from tires, but you never know...

The car spent most the day having parts replaced. The rear right caliber was replaced, as well as both back pads. The rear hub was replaced. And the front left tie rod was replaced. At the end of the day I thought I would be set to drive home, but there was another issue, a large amount of vibration. The following day (Saturday), a drivers side axle was ordered. It was put in within the hour. Apparently the vibration is 'not as bad as it was before' The mechanic said he drove to 110km/h and didn't feel much shaking. When I got the keys and drove away, it wasn't an issue. But as soon as I got to 80km/h the steering wheel started to vibrate, a lot. And it continued to vibrate until about 120km/h At 110km/h the whole car would shake. I want to say it's the tires, considering all the work done, but at the same time, if the vibration was still there, should the mechanic not have made a note of it? Irregardless, I called it in and plan on following up this weekend coming as that will be the next time I'm near the place that did the safety.

OK, so after coming home from SLC today I accelerated quickly through 1st and 2nd. There is a fair amount of hesisitation up until 5k, from 5k - 7k the car accelerates a lot smoother. The same is felt for 2nd gear. There is a significant vibration felt when accelerating in both 1st gear and 2nd gear from 25km/h to 50km/h

Also, I decided to brake harder than usual, no issues there. And by that I mean there is no added vibration.

When the car was up on the hoist for an oil change, I noticed the new CV shaft on the drivers side, then looked at the passenger side. The passenger side CV boot on the transmission side of the CV shaft is split.
Anyway if anyone at all has an idea, please let me know!
Old 11-08-2010, 08:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Stering wheel shakes, plus acceleration vibration and car shakes at higher speeds

Motor mounts? I owned a B16'd EG that had the wrong rear mount on it and it blew a CV joint to pieces after I bought it. Also wasn't exactly a smooth ride up until that point.