Notices
Suspension & Brakes Theory, alignment, spring rates....

Some questions on rear disc brake conversions

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2007, 03:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some questions on rear disc brake conversions

i have a 1990 civic si
i have the rear disc brake conversion off a 1990 crx Si

Do i have to get a different brake master cylinder?
and a brake booster?
should i get it off a 1990 crx si?
also is there anything else i need?

i have just whats in that picture and the compensator arm was cut but from what i understand its the same arm thats on the drum brake setup.

i'll be getting all that sand blasted(glass beaded) soon
Old 10-20-2007, 08:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Some questions on rear disc brake conversions (bprsk8r4272)

your 90 si didnt come with rear discs?
Old 10-21-2007, 08:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Some questions on rear disc brake conversions (JCracer723)

nope i bought the car for 200 idk if they came with them stock

Modified by bprsk8r4272 at 12:51 PM 10/21/2007
Old 10-21-2007, 09:46 AM

Default Re: Some questions on rear disc brake conversions (JCracer723)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JCracer723 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">your 90 si didnt come with rear discs?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Pretty sure only the 90-91 CRX SI's and 91 Civic SI's had rear disks. I'm unsure of the ratio for the prop valve and what size master cylinder is on the 90 SI to begin with, so it would depend on that.
Old 10-21-2007, 10:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Some questions on rear disc brake conversions (FredoTheChimp)

the brake booster is a Nissin NM-205V-3 and looks like its new
the master cylinder is a Nissin 13/16"
i dont know bout the proportioning valve though
Old 10-21-2007, 11:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

check the valve proportioner that's in there now, chances are that the person who sold you your 90 civic si, previously had it's rear discs swapped out for drums before you bought it. 88-91 civic & crx Si <U>should</U> come standard w/ rear discs. with that being said, your rear discs will work with a drum prop, but i'm willing to bet that the rear disc prop is still there

*since most of your braking power is handled by the front brakes, bigger brake booster & master cylinder isn't neccessary unless you've upgraded your front brakes

EDIT<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by FredoTheChimp &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">88 to 89 CRX and Civic SI's forsure do not have Rear Disk Brakes. CRX SI having them in both 90 and 91. </TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bprsk8r4272 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i did some checking on honda parts deals and it looks like the 90 civic si does not come with rear disc brakes only drums https://www.hondapartsdeals.co...B++19 (also looked at the 91 and it shows drums too.) </TD></TR></TABLE>
from what i gather...the 4g 88-91 crx & civic EF, only the <U>90-91 CRX Si</U> come with rear discs. read em & weep

Modified by roastbeefrichie at 9:54 PM 10/21/2007
Old 10-21-2007, 11:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Some questions on rear disc brake conversions (roastbeefrichie)

no upgrades to the front brakes the most i'll be doing to them for now is new drilled and slotted rotors for the front and back(when it gets put on) and some good pads

as for the valve can you give me a idea as to where it is located and will there be any numbers on it?
Old 10-21-2007, 02:10 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by roastbeefrichie &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">check the valve proportioner that's in there now, chances are that the person who sold you your 90 civic si, previously had it's rear discs swapped out for drums before you bought it. 88-91 civic & crx Si come standard w/ rear discs. with that being said, your rear discs will work with a drum prop, but i'm willing to bet that the rear disc prop is still there.

*since most of your braking power is handled by the front brakes, bigger brake booster & master cylinder isn't neccessary unless you've upgraded your front brakes
</TD></TR></TABLE>

88 to 89 CRX and Civic SI's forsure do not have Rear Disk Brakes. Im pretty sure the Civic SI only had rear disk brakes in 91 with the CRX SI having them in both 90 and 91. Which would lead me to the belief that you would want to change at least the prop valve on yours but check first.
Old 10-21-2007, 02:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Some questions on rear disc brake conversions (FredoTheChimp)

i did some checking on honda parts deals and it looks like the 90 civic si does not come with rear disc brakes only drums https://www.hondapartsdeals.co...B++19 (also looked at the 91 and it shows drums too.) and the brake proportioning valve has a different part number than the 90 crx si
should i get the brake proportioning valve off the 90 crx si?

*also at a local junkyard i seen a 91 civic si and i remember seeing it having drum brakes

Modified by bprsk8r4272 at 10:13 PM 10/22/2007
Old 10-21-2007, 03:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by roastbeefrichie &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> your rear discs will work with a drum prop.

*since most of your braking power is handled by the front brakes, bigger brake booster & master cylinder isn't neccessary unless you've upgraded your front brakes</TD></TR></TABLE>

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread/1916212
Old 10-21-2007, 04:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bprsk8r4272 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">nope i bought the car for 200 idk if they came with them stock

Modified by bprsk8r4272 at 12:51 PM 10/21/2007</TD></TR></TABLE>

bprsk8r4272, good deal on the 90 civic si, can't beat that with a bat

the valve prop for the crx si w/ rear disc is 35/40

Old 10-21-2007, 04:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well it didnt have a engine wire harness, gauge cluster, and the shifter linkage isnt hooked up you can see it here http://gotskillslounge.com/Civic/

so should i get that prop valve or just leave whats on the car
also i see in that post that some people saying they had to get different e-brake cables will i have 2 cause i have the ones that are on the 90 crx si conversion then i have the stock civic si ones that are on the drum brakes
will i need different brake lines 2

if someone could make me a list of what i'll need that would be great

thanks,
tyler

Modified by bprsk8r4272 at 9:55 AM 10/22/2007
Old 10-22-2007, 06:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

bump
Old 10-22-2007, 09:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by bprsk8r4272
so should i get that prop valve or just leave whats on the car
Originally Posted by roastbeefrichie
your rear discs will work with a drum prop
if you're gonna swap out your valve prop, get one from the 90-91 crx Si, 35/40 or non-abs w/ rear disc, 40/40

i see in that post that some people saying they had to get different e-brake cables will i have 2 cause i have the ones that are on the 90 crx si conversion
the crx e-brake cables are too short for your 90 civic hatchback, source e-brake cables from 90-93 integra.

then i have the stock civic si ones that are on the drum brakes
your drum e-brake cable won't work on rear disc brakes

will i need different brake lines 2
drum brakes lines won't work with rear disc brakes...try the ones on your conversion. if none are available, any brake line off rear disc will work

if someone could make me a list of what i'll need that would be great
Originally Posted by JokerTypeR
What you'll need is:

A jack - It's a good idea to have two jackstands as well so it won't move, but you can unsafely do it with just a jack, if it's a good one with wheel chalks.
Tools - Phillips head, sockets, extensions...the usual.
PB Blaster - Comes in MAD handy for the rear hoses and prop valve.
Locking Pliers - It was the only thing I could get to work for getting the brake lines out of the prop valve...I wish you the best of luck, it's not an easy task.
EBrake Cables - Only neccessary if you want to make certain they're good. You never can be sure of the condition of a used part. as stated, I reused my old ones without a problem. just inspect them well. you'll have to order them from a dealer...order them from a 90-93 LS integra..it's direct bolt on.
Brake Fluid - You've probably got Dot 3 in there already, but it's not at all a bad idea to flush out all the fluid and change it over. Have a friend to help you with bleeding it. I went ahead and flushed it and put in Dot 4 since I drive semi-competitively. Bleeding IS important. It's also important to NOT mix brake fluids...brand or Dot rating.
Rear Brake Hoses - If you want to upgrade to SS braided...now is the time. But unless you're driving SERIOUSLY competitive, they won't be much better than regular rubber hoses. I'll explain why if you're curious. Go to Autozone, and you can pick them up for like 30bucks a piece (if I remember right). You're going to order them for 91 CRx WITH REAR DISCS. Make certain you specify this. They'll have to be ordered and come in about 3 days.

I think I covered everything with the rear disc swap. Make certain when you get your parts in...you eye-inspect the bearing, brake cables, pads, discs, and calipers. You MAY want to replace rotors and pads as well, but your old ones should be just fine for a while. Again, inspection is important. Also, check up on how to replace rear disc pads. I haven't done mine yet, but I know there's a different way to replace them from the front pads. It's always easier to replace parts when they're OFF of the car.

As for the brake booster, your old one will do just fine. You don't HAVE to upgrade the booster. With my setup, all I have done is the rear discs on Dot 4 fluid and the rest is good condition OEM. I'm still swapping the front brakes in the future, but the setup I have now I just ran hard on sunday and it was outstanding with no heat or brake fade through the mountain run.

While you're in there, also a good thing to check is to pull the net out of the brake fluid reservoir and make certain it's clean and clear. Just shake it...do NOT rinse it. Water is hell for brakes whether it's in the fluid, lines, or on the rotors.

While in there, you also may want to thoroughly eye-inspect the master cylinder and all other parts with the brakes to make certain there are no leaks. Fix 'em now if there are.

Finally, when you're bleeding, give it a good three cycles of bleeding with your friend in the driver's seat. Make certain to check the fluid level after every wheel bled. Once you've done the three cycles, drive around on 'em a few days, it'll still feel spongy. After a couple days, you don't need a friend or even a jack to bleed them (if you can reach through your wheels) just unscrew the bleeder til some fluid comes out. You'll see some bubbles. Just let the fluid run until it stops bubbling and/or there's a steady flow. Do this to cycle once every three days or so for about two weeks. This will make certain you've got all the air out of the lines.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask. Honda-Tech was my helping hand when I did my swap, and I hope I can pass on the favor.

Good luck.
check the link... https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1561371

Modified by roastbeefrichie at 5:13 PM 10/22/2007
Old 10-22-2007, 12:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks for all the information i should be set now
Old 10-22-2007, 12:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (bprsk8r4272)