Notices
Suspension & Brakes Theory, alignment, spring rates....

Recent noise makes nightmare of an issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2006, 02:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recent noise makes nightmare of an issue

Well to start off...

i drive a 90' acura integra..

The noise... Not your common click, or clunk sound heard from a metal contact..
what it does sound like like though is a thud sound to best describe it... and it only heard under a load situation like when the car is in gear, coasting while in gear, but.. the thud sound will vanish when taken out of gear and coasting.. also the sound will increase in speed as speed of the car is increase..sound comes from front of the car...one last sympton ive had is the steering wheel shakes but not your commone shake from unblanced tires or alignment issue.. its a very slow say left to right shake in the steering wheel, but the shake will vanish once up to around 30mph and up.. but the rotational thud is still heard..

Things ive done so far..or assumed and tryed..

thought it could have been a slipped belt in the tire, so i pulled a tires off, one at a time, and replace with my spare.. nothing change the sound..

checked brakes.. pad were replaced last month, and oem rotors turned about 4 months ago..nothing appeared wrong..

within the last 4 months or so i replaced all lower ball joints, axles, tie rods, and did an alighment on it at work(tires were all balanced on our road force machine, and they came out perfect)...( passenger side bearing was replaced within the year... and drivers side, has no play..)only thing not replaced was upper ball joints, they do have a lil play, but when i checked it today they seem to have no more play then what they had 4 months ago when i replaced alot parts...

something i did read was that the radius rod nut could have come loose.. does this seem logical to cause this rotational thud sound im hearing..

i dont think this could be an alignment issue, or an unblanced rim, when i pulled off my tires i couldn't see an ridculous dents or bends in the rims that could cause this sound..even if bent/dented.. i cant seem to figure out why it dissapears when i pull the car out of gear when coasting..

any ideas, something.. im totally stumped.. and christmas is coming soon, were ill be driving the car over 150 miles to go to rents house for chirstmas.. and as of now i wont be going cause this doesn't seem safe to drive on at all!!