Notices
Suspension & Brakes Theory, alignment, spring rates....

Tein S-Tech Springs on Skunk2 Sport Shocks?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 10:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 Tein S-Tech Springs on Skunk2 Sport Shocks?

Ok this is not really much a tech kind of thing, but mostly something i needed to know
Alright so today i just finished installing some stech springs on skunk2 shocks for a friends EG Coupe and man that **** was hard, it was really tight getting the springs compressed enough to get the top mounts on and overall it was just really difficult to install altogether

anyone else have this kind of problem? i mean they way we ended up doing was we installed the top hat first, then i bolted the struts to their control arms and used the jack to compress the spring and shock against the car to get the bolt for the strut on and tighten it down

i mean ive done a few of my buddies suspensions and whatnot but man this one was really hard!!! can anyone give me some input on whether what i did was good and whether this is a good setup? I torqued down all the bolts to spec and double checked everything to be safe but i wanna know what you guys think.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Tein S-Tech Springs on Skunk2 Sport Shocks?

i have the same setup. but it wasnt hard to install at all. i used a spring compressor though. ive never heard about doing it your way, it does sound pretty hard to do.
Old 02-08-2011, 11:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NOOdS
i have the same setup. but it wasnt hard to install at all. i used a spring compressor though. ive never heard about doing it your way, it does sound pretty hard to do.
ha then yeah that must have been it then, cuz man it was hard as hell, perhaps next time ill invest in a spring compressor to make things a bit easier for me. how does it ride for you though? we were drivin it around after and it felt a bit stiff, but thats probably cuz the setup needs to setup first and be broken in.
Old 02-08-2011, 11:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

weird, that's how i did it with stocks springs, and it wasn't hard. just had to make sure the shaft went into the top hat straight.
Old 02-08-2011, 12:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 90_EX_Civic
weird, that's how i did it with stocks springs, and it wasn't hard. just had to make sure the shaft went into the top hat straight.
yeah thats the one part i had trouble with was lining it up with the top hat
Old 02-08-2011, 01:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

its easier with spring compressors but i've done h techs on stock shocks before and they are even taller. try getting the shock shaft lined up with the hole in the top hat. push down on the whole combo with the shock secured on a concrete floor. while your pushing down have a buddy spin on the nut then blast it with an impact once you get it started by hand. you can do this on your own if you practice a little but it's easier with a friend
Old 02-08-2011, 08:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by [713]
ha then yeah that must have been it then, cuz man it was hard as hell, perhaps next time ill invest in a spring compressor to make things a bit easier for me. how does it ride for you though? we were drivin it around after and it felt a bit stiff, but thats probably cuz the setup needs to setup first and be broken in.
it's the shocks because s tech's are too soft. btw i installed mine the same way.
Old 02-09-2011, 12:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Spring compressor makes the job so much easier... worth it
Old 03-10-2012, 03:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

do they ride good...i saw the same setup on ebay. either that or tein w/tokicos?