Notices
Suspension & Brakes Theory, alignment, spring rates....

Rear drum to disc swap knuckle questions.

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 08:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Rear drum to disc swap knuckle questions.

I'm swapping out complete 94-01 Integra GSR rear disc brakes on my 98 Civic Ex. I was originally gonna just swap the enire trailing arm assembly...but come to find out...one of the trailing arm bushings is ripped on the top side, (not usable). I remember reading about what size torx the the four bolts on the back of the hub/knuckle assembly are, (50mm?) and the one nut in the middle is like 20mm or something? But can't find the post/thread anywhere. I'd rather not try and get the bushing out and press a new one in. I have a spare set of 93 DA Integra trailing arms sitting in my garage also...but are the bushings the same size?

I guess what I'm trying to find out is...has anybody just swapped out the whole knuckle assmebly from the trailing arms and how hard was it? I can't imagine the torx head bolts coming out nicely.

And are the sizes for bolts and nut right?
Old 04-23-2007, 09:07 AM
#1 Super Guy

Received 123 Likes on 117 Posts
Default Re: Rear drum to disc swap knuckle questions. (gabebauman)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by gabebauman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I can't imagine the torx head bolts coming out nicely.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

I don't know the size, and I've never done the spindle swap personally, but I can tell you that it's possible (the way you described it). I have heard from people that have done it personally, that it is VERY difficult to get those bolts & nut off the back though. Perhaps the old breaker bar and/or air tools might make your life easier if this is the route you must take...
Old 04-23-2007, 09:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

OK...I just found this helpful little gem:

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BrakeExpert &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It seems some people don't know what a "spindle" on the back is. First off, there is no "drum trailing arm" nor is there a "disc trailing arm". The trailing arm on ALL 88-00 Civics is exactly the same. The spindle, which holds the brakes, actually detaches from the trailing arm.

This is the bare drum spindle. Notice there is no big long trailing arm attached. Just the hub on it, and slave cylinder. The drum shoes and springs have been disassembled so you can see.

This is the actual spindle, showing how it attaches. Imagine the trailing arm pointing right towards you, as in the tire goes straight up and down in this picture. From the front of the car, this is how it would look. That "spike" goes into the trailing arm via its 24mm big *** nut. and those two screws you see, though there are four.

This is how you detach the spindle from the trailing arm to change from drum to disc. The 24mm axle nut needs some brute force, or a big socket wrench and hammer. The T50 torx bolts are just a bitch and a half. These 4 bolts and nut hold your brakes and wheel onto the car, so no wonder there tightened so much, you dont ever want them coming loose unexpectedly, however they usually dont want to come loose ever. The rusty area is where it touches the traling arm, don't know why Honda chose that shape. The black circle is what the drum stuff mounts to, the circle is for where the e-brake comes in, and that hardline goes to the slave cylinder.

This drum spindle may bolt to ANY 88-00 civic or 90-01 Integra trailing arm (Integras had drums in Japan on the lower models, for reference.) </TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 04-23-2007, 09:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I might practice on my spare set of da brakes tonight and start to soak the ones on the car with PB blaster. I don't want to be snapping bolts off of my good trailing arm setup.
Old 04-23-2007, 09:32 AM
#1 Super Guy

Good find gabebauman... I especially like that the bolts shown still have the nice new cadmium finish on them, but the guy says they are near impossible to take off. Thats pretty scary considering the ones the back of my rear disc swap are completely rusted over...

The only reason I might be hesitant to try this, is because there are no published torque specs for these particular bolts & nut...
Old 04-23-2007, 09:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Rear drum to disc swap knuckle questions. (94eg!)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 94eg! &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
The only reason I might be hesitant to try this, is because there are no published torque specs for these particular bolts & nut... </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah...luckily I have a spare set to practice on.

However...I need to stop at SEARS on the way home from work to pickup a 24mm socket and T50 torx.
Old 04-24-2007, 06:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well silly me...last night I made a stop at Sears to pick up a T50 torx and a friend's house for the 24mm socket. I get home and start to get things goin...what do ya know.

DUH!...Why not just swap the caliper/bracket over from one trailing arm to the other.........................GENUIS!

I felt soo retarded.

So I thru the new pads and rotors on after that. Swap is going on the car tonight...wish me luck.

My frankenstein setup consists of left side 93 DA trailing arm, spindle, etc. with 94+ GSR caliper, e-brake cable and pads. Right side is all GSR parts.

Old 04-24-2007, 07:13 AM
#1 Super Guy

That will be tricky if you ever have to replace the trailing arm bushings... LOL!
Old 04-24-2007, 08:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Rear drum to disc swap knuckle questions. (94eg!)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 94eg! &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">That will be tricky if you ever have to replace the trailing arm bushings... LOL!</TD></TR></TABLE>

Haha...yeah...I've heard they're not the same exact size. Just have to remember which side is DA and which is DC.
Old 04-27-2007, 05:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Everything is bolted up to the car now, (Si 40/40 prop valve, e-brake cables, trailing arms, new pads, new rotors). Just waiting for my new Techna-Fit steel braided brake lines and replacement rear upper control arms.

I'll be in Minneapolis all weekend...so nothing will get done on this car until Tuesday. So if I'm not around on the forums...that's why.
Old 05-07-2007, 10:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Car is back on the road...two weeks of jackstands...well worth the wait.
Old 05-07-2007, 10:47 AM
#1 Super Guy

Congratulations...