Notices
Suspension & Brakes Theory, alignment, spring rates....

Possible coilover replacement springs?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 02:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible coilover replacement springs?

Kind of new so please don't hate..

Anyway, I lowered my car on coilovers to the lowest it would go and now my springs are really loose and don't do the job springs are suppose to. I have Apexi coilovers, not sure what kind and I'm thinking of just buying longer springs to replace the original ones so my ride would be better. Is it possible to do this or no? Cause I love how my car sits and am not really down to downgrade into lowering springs when I already have coilovers.

Please help a fellow HTer out!
Old 09-08-2009, 03:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Possible coilover replacement springs?

Longer springs (of the same rate) won't change the ride quality.

Why do you think longer springs are needed?

My rear springs are loose at full droop (no preload). Never been an issue. GCs (what I have) can't really be preloaded anyway, unless you want the ride height "as high as it goes".
Old 09-08-2009, 04:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hm I need to correct what I was trying to say. Im not no expert but I'll try to tell you guys the best I could..

Since my spring is not really on and loose as hell, don't you think that it's bad/dangerous to be driving around like that. I mean all the weight is carried on the shocks. I was reading about getting helper springs, can I do that?
Old 09-08-2009, 04:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by CLIPHSET
Hm I need to correct what I was trying to say. Im not no expert but I'll try to tell you guys the best I could..

Since my spring is not really on and loose as hell, don't you think that it's bad/dangerous to be driving around like that. I mean all the weight is carried on the shocks. I was reading about getting helper springs, can I do that?
Wait, they're loose while the car is on the ground? If so, you have something binding up the suspension that needs to be addressed.

If they're only loose with the car jacked up (full droop), its not a concern.

In some places that do vehicle inspection, springs are not permitted to be loose at full droop, in which case you need a helper spring. Some racing situations are also benefited by helper springs.

A street car, especially one with swaybars, really doesn't need to be concerned about it. Simply verify that the spring correctly seated itself every time the car is put down from being jacked up, and don't worry about it. I usually don't bother checking, as mine have never failed to seat correctly just dumping the car onto the ground from the jack (my jack is very rough when lowering).

If it really bothers you, then you need spring couplers and helper springs. I don't believe anyone on here has reported issues from having loose springs at full droop though.
Old 09-09-2009, 01:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I will check how the springs are fitting while the car is on the ground because I never thought about that while the car was on jacks

So by getting helper springs would that eliminate the feeling like my car is going to break after hitting a bump in the road?
Old 09-09-2009, 01:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CLIPHSET
I will check how the springs are fitting while the car is on the ground because I never thought about that while the car was on jacks

So by getting helper springs would that eliminate the feeling like my car is going to break after hitting a bump in the road?
no, what noob was trying to tell you is that if you have something loose while the car is on the ground. that's the issue that needs to be addressed