Notices
Suspension & Brakes Theory, alignment, spring rates....

Outer Tie Rod Lock Nut too small?!?!

Old 03-18-2013, 04:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Outer Tie Rod Lock Nut too small?!?!

So I'm working on a 2000 Integra GS. Steering rack was leaking, so I ordered a new rack and got it put in. Well since the stock suspension parts have 170K on 'em, I checked everything really good.

The upper ball joint boots weren't leaking, but there were small dry rot cracks in the boots, so I ordered new control arms with new ball joints. Lower ball joints looked about the same so I ordered new lower ball joints. My passenger wheel bearing was making some noises, so I also went with new wheel bearings.

So drop the strut / spring assembly, take out the old control arm, install the new one, bolt everything back in. No big deal. I go to install my new Moog outer tie rod ends, and the new lock nut that came with them is TOO SMALL to go onto the inner tie rod on the new rack assembly. WTF? I figure maybe something is off with the inner tie rods on the new rack....so I try to see if the nut fits on the old inner tie rod...nope...too small.

Of course the lock nuts are pretty much frozen on on the old inner tie rods, so I'm going to take the new outer tie rod and get some nuts from the hardware store.

Anyone else seen this?

BTW - I did confirm the new outer tie rod threads onto the new inner just fine, also fits the old inner tie rod just fine. Appears someone just put the wrong lock nut in the box.
Old 03-18-2013, 06:08 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Re: Outer Tie Rod Lock Nut too small?!?!

Originally Posted by ctandc
Anyone else seen this?
With all due respect, what does it matter? You seem to know what to do to fix it. Contact the place you bought it from.