Notices
Suspension & Brakes Theory, alignment, spring rates....

koni str.t & h&r oe springs

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 07:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default koni str.t & h&r oe springs

I have a 00 civic ex 4 dr and just wanted a small drop with a lil spirited driving capability. Would this setup be good. I used to have a 96 hatch that I used koni yellows and h&r sports and loved them but that was when I was doing some track n racing around on the streets( I know young n dumb). But know I have a 6 month old and a 4 dr. So just wanted to know if any one has used this set up or any experince with the koni str.t. by the way are the str.t the same as the koni reds frm before???? Thanks in advance all replies and suggestions welcomed
Old 04-23-2010, 08:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: koni str.t & h&r oe springs

great combo there. I had the OE sports on my del sol paired with GR-2 shocks. Firms up the ride and handles a lot better but i couldn't even notice the drop at all. If i were going that route still i'd probably use the Pro Kit from eibach. Get their whole package if you can. I have the sportline package now and the shocks are the same thing and the koni's i think. Both made in argentina, have the welded spring perch.
Old 04-23-2010, 11:54 AM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

^ what he said, i have never ridden or driven a car with str-t's but, his same setup and it rode great.
if this were me, id either get the prokit, or go with sportline springs and koni yellows, i prefer a bit more drop, but you need to think about the baby, so a nice soft ride should be in order.
Old 04-23-2010, 08:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I loved my koni yellows so thats y I wanted to go with the str-t. So r they the same as the reds cause in there description they say orange???? N is there a good spring that might give me like an inch drop? The h&r oe only goes .75 I think n the sports jump to almost 2 inches i believe.
Old 04-24-2010, 06:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

eibach pro kit.
Old 04-24-2010, 09:51 AM
Master Detailer

Originally Posted by 1.5Slowmatic
eibach pro kit.
this,
thing is though op, you will bearly even notice a 1 inch drop, and you may end up wanting more.
Old 04-24-2010, 09:53 AM
Master Detailer

Originally Posted by 1.5Slowmatic
eibach pro kit.
this,

op, you will bearly even notice a 1 inch drop, and you may end up wanting more, another reason the koni yellow is good, i belive you will able to get another half inch or rasise it a half inch with the adjustable perches. So maybe getting a 2 inch drop sping isnt a bad idea, as long as you go with konis.
Old 04-24-2010, 02:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ya but I don't want to spend the money for the yellows since this car ain't gonna see any track really. I checked the car and in the back I have 3 finger gap between the tire and the fender. I have 16 inch rims so would the .75 drop from the OE springs at least lower it to only 2 fingers?????
Old 04-24-2010, 02:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

1.5slowmatic- do u have any pics of how low ur car looks now with the pro kit? What size rims u have on and/or how much of a finger gap do u have between tires n fender?

I guess I am kinda scared of it not looking low enough with just the OE springs. Guess just trying to balance the line between daddy dudy and having fun when he isn't in the car.
Old 04-24-2010, 02:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

1.5slowmatic- do u have any pics of how low ur car looks now with the pro kit? What size rims u have on and/or how much of a finger gap do u have between tires n fender?

I guess I am kinda scared of it not looking low enough with just the OE springs. Guess just trying to balance the line between daddy dudy and having fun when he isn't in the car.
Old 04-24-2010, 09:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the strt are not the same as the old koni reds. the reds were an adjustable shock(compress to adjust) the strts are non adjustable. I had the first set ever put on a car in the u.s on my ek hatch and they were great with stock springs, then i put eibachs on to lower it and it was very comfortalble and handled well... much better than oe. I tote aroung 3 kids in it.
Old 04-25-2010, 04:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by civicjason
the strt are not the same as the old koni reds. the reds were an adjustable shock(compress to adjust) the strts are non adjustable. I had the first set ever put on a car in the u.s on my ek hatch and they were great with stock springs, then i put eibachs on to lower it and it was very comfortalble and handled well... much better than oe. I tote aroung 3 kids in it.
Hey civicjason how much of a drop did you get with eibachs? Is it more then an inch?

Since the strt are concidered an oe replacement how low could you go with them with out the risking blowing them?
Old 04-29-2011, 08:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Icon6 Re: koni str.t & h&r oe springs

I have this setup on a 95 civic ex coupe and it's a great ride. I wish the springs where a little shorter.
Old 04-29-2011, 11:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I've got the pro kit on my Integra Sedan, dropped it an inch TOPS. Tons more pics if you check the link in my Sig (pics are mid-way through.) Here's the write up about the pro kit itself:
https://honda-tech.com/forums/suspension-brakes-54/initial-impressions-thoughts-eibach-pro-kit-spring-strut-civic-integra-2901047/

Pic of the Car, after the drop:

Personally I love it, but its not most peoples cup of tea if I had to guess. I've got twins and a wifey to think about.

Two fingers in front, 1 1/2 in back (thats what she said!) 16" wheels on 205/45 tire
Old 04-29-2011, 12:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mugenek007
Since the strt are concidered an oe replacement how low could you go with them with out the risking blowing them?
this isn't completely accurate although you could use them as an oe replacement they are usually tighter. the str.t is basically a yellow set on soft. i spoke with lee at koni about this when the str.t was first released. it's a better than oe shock that can be used with a variety of lowering springs
Old 04-29-2011, 01:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

How long do you think you will keep this car? If you're in it for the long haul I would suggest the Koni Sport shocks. I have Koni Sports with OEM GS-R front springs and OEM ITR rear springs. It rides only barely stiffer than stock due to the stiffer rear ITR springs. The shocks have been on the car 9 years and nearly 200K miles. Most other shocks would have needed replacement 2 or 3 times over in that amount of time, so IMHO it really is worth the extra money. Plus I get a decent drop with the adjustable spring perches.

I also had H&R Sport springs and Ground Control coilovers with custom 380/450 lb/in springs, but the stock spring setup is by far the best for daily driving duties.

And yes I also have a wife and 16-mo old son. He doesn't ride in my car very often because we're keeping him rear-facing as long as possible, and it's a major PITA getting him in and out of my car, but when he does ride in it he seems fine. He always sleeps on the 1-hour drive out to my parents' house.

Pic of ride height for reference. I do have trouble with some driveways due to the ITR front lip.