Notices
Suspension & Brakes Theory, alignment, spring rates....

Koni + GC or Tein Super Street

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2014, 06:59 AM
CRX God

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Koni + GC or Tein Super Street

So now I am debating between Koni + GC or Tein Super Street for my 89 CRX. I know the classic answer is Koni + GC, but the new EDFC Active Pro for the Tein could be a future upgrade. Anyone has any good thoughts on this? I am leaning heavily toward the Tein now, where I was convinced a week ago Koni + GC was the way to go.

Also, Tein comes with the pillow ball upper mount, but you can get the GC top hats with the Koni. If I am to lower the car 1.5-2 inch I guess the top hats are not required.

The car will probably see some track usage, not sure yet, just doing a complete build right now. I already have all spherical suspension, full race traction bar, and will be getting the acr sway bar soon.

http://www.tein.com/products/edfc_active_pro.html
Old 05-23-2014, 08:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Koni + GC or Tein Super Street

It all boils down to the spring rates you want to use. Koni/gc have a wide variety of spring rates to choose from with custom rates for more $$. If I'm not mistaken, the Tein SS setup doesn't offer custom rates, basically why I didn't go with them.
Old 05-28-2014, 09:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

KGC hands down.
Old 06-02-2014, 07:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Koni+Ground Control have been popular with Subaru SVXs (which is what I drive) for years.
Old 06-14-2014, 08:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm in the same boat as you my friend. I'm building a CRX as well, and have done some research on suspension. The best setup by far would be the Koni/GC setup. It offers more customizing than the Tiens or H & R packages.

The Tiens would be perfect for everyday street driving, but if you ever want to take it to the track, you need the Koni/GC setup. You have way better spring rates, and also allows for dampening adjustments.

Plus im not sure where your from, but i live in Canada, the difference between the 2 setups is $50 for me. I'm actually getting this setup installed within the next 2 weeks, so i can write back and let you know first hand how it is.
Old 06-17-2014, 06:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

^In for the follow up
Old 06-17-2014, 09:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

For the price I've been extremely happy with my Koni/GC setup. The fact that you can choose custom spring rates up front (and swap them later on too), as well as re-valve the shocks to accommodate stiffer rates if you choose that route was a selling point for me. I'm sure the Tein SS will work great. You'll only notice the difference once you're on the track. Tein SS is pretty comfortable for city driving, comparable to a softer koni/gc setup. It sounds like you're building more of a street car, so Tein might be the way to go.
Old 06-30-2014, 10:01 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

I went with the TEINs. If you're only doing the super street, of course there's no choice in custom spring rates, just the slight change in dampening. i went with the older school RAs (similar to the Monosport Dampner with better spring rates.). My cousin had a set of these in his ITR that he bottomed out 6 years ago after a few years (bought Cusco Zeros at the time), and I sent them back to TEIN for rebuild instead of buying something else. ($400 for a $2500 original set of Track-oriented TEINs is a bargain in my book ).

I guess I'm just older school. After 2 sets of the Koni GCs on 2 cars, I just wasn't impressed with the adjustability for longer courses with FWD setups over 300whp. TEIN had my answer in this case.

TEchnologyINnovation. Call me a "fanboy" if you wish. They seemed to work exactly as planned when you go above the Super Street or Flex series.
Old 07-01-2014, 04:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Find out your goal for this car. Decide on a spring rate and call the companies. I've never dealt with either of them first hand, so I cannot accurately weigh in on them. But customer service is always a good representation of a company. The company I bought my coilovers from talked to me on multiple occasions on different topics and suggested spring rates, dampening rates, etc. They gave me exactly what I wanted and a reasonable price. Give Tein a shot. I, for one, am tired of Koni/GC being the only option. But you need to know what spring rates you want and do a little calling around.
Old 07-21-2014, 06:02 PM
CRX God

I went with tein. I am going to do a stiff sway bar in the back, and possibly change the spring rate if I feel I need too.
Old 07-28-2014, 09:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey guys,

Sorry for the very late reply, I ended up having my koni/GC setup installed and all I can say is WOW. It is however lowered on the stock tear drop rims for now with Pirelli tires, and all I can say is it handles like a champ. The first thing I did was take it for a spin on one of the windiest roads we have up here, and let it loose.

The car handled better than I expected with minimal to no body roll.. And I even noticed a huge difference as the car was stiffer goin over small bumps that I've been over before.

But this is in comparison to the stock shocks/springs I had in there before. Which were all seized with the LCA's. I had to replace this as well and went with the BWR LCA's. They seem fine.

Now on my 1st crx I had koni yellows with eibach springs. Again this was a great setup but did not have the adjustability as the GC's have. So I repeat, if ur goin to spend the money, and ever want to take ur car to track, invest in the koni/GC setup. It has been proven over and over again.
Old 07-28-2014, 09:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

WTF? Did you just try to highjack Whited's thread?
Old 07-28-2014, 12:06 PM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Yes.
Old 08-01-2014, 06:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Question i have an EG6 B18c and lost for choice on hwtas the best suspension set up for track racing any help ?
Old 08-01-2014, 10:18 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Hit the back button. Look up at the top in the gray stickied posts and look for the thread "CLICK HERE all of you curious about suspension setups and their costs/reliability.", and read it all.
Old 08-01-2014, 10:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by grumblemarc
Hit the back button. Look up at the top in the gray stickied posts and look for the thread "CLICK HERE all of you curious about suspension setups and their costs/reliability.", and read it all.
Then choose eBay coilover sleeves in your favorite color and run them on stock shocks anyways.

In my opinion I believe there are essentially 3 choices for the enthusiast driver:

Progress CS-II@$600
Koni/Ground control@$800
AMR@$1300
For anyone wanting to slam their cars and have it last, you need to get a good master bushing set, preferably hard rubber. And AT THE LEAST Koni/ground control with front extended top hats and rates of 600lb+ front and 400+lb rear, maybe higher depending on your wheel/offset.