Notices
Suspension & Brakes Theory, alignment, spring rates....

How to properly adjust coilovers?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2006, 01:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to properly adjust coilovers?

I am putting 16s on my car which was too low and rubbs all the time. So I tried to raise it but something just isn't right. The rear driver side is dropped almost as low as it can go, the rear pass side is raised 2 inches of threads (on the coilovers, way higher than driver side), but the pass side is still lower then the driver side. WTF?? Am I missing something here? What is the proper way to adjust coilovers? TIA.

Setup: skunk2 coilovers w/ tokico blue shocks.
Old 04-05-2006, 02:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts
Default Re: How to properly adjust coilovers? (00ekcoupe)

after each adjustment, roll the car forward about 10 feet and push the suspension up and down to settle things. then roll it right back where it was before. do another bounce.

then just adjust as you see fit to get things equal. dont worry if the perches are different relative to each other, its expected. the cars weight is not distributed evenly.

also, when you finally find the right ride height, zero out your bushings by jacking up the car, loosen and retighten each suspension bushing to set the bushing at the new ride height.

LASTLY and very importantly, get an alignment done. you need it to maximize the life of your tires and performance.
Old 04-05-2006, 02:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: How to properly adjust coilovers? (Tyson)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tyson &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">after each adjustment, roll the car forward about 10 feet and push the suspension up and down to settle things. then roll it right back where it was before. do another bounce.

then just adjust as you see fit to get things equal. dont worry if the perches are different relative to each other, its expected. the cars weight is not distributed evenly.

also, when you finally find the right ride height, zero out your bushings by jacking up the car, loosen and retighten each suspension bushing to set the bushing at the new ride height.

LASTLY and very importantly, get an alignment done. you need it to maximize the life of your tires and performance.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Tyson, you forgot about putting it on scales and cornerweighting it. to make sure there's no uneven cross load.

-A
Old 04-05-2006, 02:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts
Default Re: How to properly adjust coilovers? (Function7)

over rated...
Old 04-05-2006, 02:40 PM
#1 Super Guy

Received 123 Likes on 117 Posts
Default Re: How to properly adjust coilovers? (Tyson)

2 inches of threading difference from left to right doesn't sound right at all.

Make absoloutly sure that your springs are sitting all the way up inside the upper mounts as the lower the car back down. Coil-over springs are very short which allows them to fall out of the upper mount when you jack the car up. I had springs get caught on the edge of the upper mount causing messed up ride height & a scarry POP noise when they snaped back into the hat...

This may sound stupid, but do you have the correct springs front & rear (could have been switched upon install). Sometimes they look the same, but they are not. If one of your front springs was switched with a rear it would also cause the described problem. To check, compare the numbers printed on the springs. Then make sure they are the same from side to side...