Notices
Suspension & Brakes Theory, alignment, spring rates....

HELP!!-Koni Yellow Pushing Bushing out of Top Hat

Old 11-16-2010, 05:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default HELP!!-Koni Yellow Pushing Bushing out of Top Hat

Hey guys I got some Koni yellows and Ground Control coilover sleeves. My boy did me a favor and we assembled the set up exactly the way the directions from Koni, GC, and various threads that cover the topic (Koni/GC). For assembly it was just Koni Yellows,the GC sleeves and OEM top hats. The install was 95% done and the car was taken off the jack stands and put back on the ground and the struts poked right through the top hats on all four. So we initially thought we may have put the bump stops on wrong or did something wrong. Tonight everything was taken off and started from square one and we came out with the same problem. I don't have any pictures now but the top metal part of the Koni protrudes through the top hat and the hood can't even close. Are extended top hats the reason why? I know they allow you to have improved shock travel but I didn't think being halfway on the coilover sleeve would allow something like this to happen.

So please tell me if any of you know about this problem because I have searched on multiple forums.
Old 11-16-2010, 07:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Re: HELP!!-Koni Yellow Pushing Bushing out of Top Hat

You forgot the bumpstop plate - looks like a washer, goes above the bumpstop and sits on the welded collar on the Koni shock piston. Without that there's nothing for the shock piston to bear against.

See the link in my sig. This pic shows the washer on top of the bumpstop.

Old 11-16-2010, 07:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So the bumpstop goes on the little bulge toward the top of the strut and this washer goes above the bumpstop?
Old 11-16-2010, 08:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by b18c1ej8
So the bumpstop goes on the little bulge toward the top of the strut and this washer goes above the bumpstop?
Yep you got it.

Konis should have come with 2 washers, of slightly different outer diameters. The smaller, thicker one is what goes above the bumpstop. If you use normal springs and dust covers, the other washer would go above the dust cover. But since you have GC's only the one thicker washer is needed (although I just threw both washers on mine when I had GC's just because I could hah).