Notices
Suspension & Brakes Theory, alignment, spring rates....

happy medium Koni GC

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2017, 03:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default happy medium Koni GC

Im currently running the Koni Yellow Ground Control setup on my EG hatch. Ive tried a few setups. Right now Im at 600F 500R. The car is a multi purpose machine, it does track days, road trips, and regular city duty.

I think the 600lb front is tweaked just right for the H2B setup under hood, which is a hefty swap. The front can hold a mean corner but also handles bumps and imperfections well enough. The 500lb rear supports a gutted chassis. Its way too hard. Sure it corners great but the rear can not handle any major bump. It can be brutal. I would say 500R with the Koni Yellow is track only, not road worthy. The rear end can take flight over a set of train tracks.

Im looking for advice to dial in the rear. It is a high performance car, so off the shelf rates will be too soft. I want a rear spring to go with the koni that will hold a corner but can also be used on the street.
Old 01-09-2017, 09:20 AM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: happy medium Koni GC

Considered re-valving the shocks? You likely just don't have enough rebound damping for 500LB springs on the back.

Where is your damping set? Hopefully not anywhere near soft....
Old 01-11-2017, 08:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

the road comfort of a car is based on the rear spring and shocks. because where the weight of the engine and the driver are positioned, the rear motion is levered and amplified.

ive put 900lb springs up front on a lightweight crx and it really didnt matter in terms of road comfort. kind of surprising how little it did affect. so talking about matching spring rates to engine type is not that relevant.

lower your rear to a more reasonable spring rate. half of what you have. you can put a larger rear swaybar to help in the turns.

or just deal with it. theres no happy medium. just whatever you want to tolerate.
Old 01-26-2017, 04:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just like Tyson said, on a Civic ride comfort is almost 100% determined by the rear of the vehicle due to weight distribution and the drivers placement in the car.
I don't think you can get the Koni Sports to be comfortable on a car with a gutted rear. I couldn't do it even with 250 lb/in rear springs.

There is no happy medium indeed. Go soft (e.g. KW coilovers) on the rear and loose handling on track or go hard and suffer when the road turns bad.