Notices
Suspension & Brakes Theory, alignment, spring rates....

Ground Control extended top hats on Buddy Club N+

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2007, 10:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ground Control extended top hats on Buddy Club N+

Currently I have Buddy Club N+ coilovers. Does anyone know if the GC top hats will work with these coilovers? I call buddy club and they said the top of the shaft was a 10mm. I guess the question is if the shock body will fit inside the top of the GC top hat. Can someone help me out here?
Old 04-11-2007, 10:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Ground Control extended top hats on Buddy Club N+ (danis one)

gc top hats come in 10mm and 12mm just make sure to specify when you order.
Old 04-11-2007, 10:46 AM

Yes I understand they come in 2 sizes, in which i think my application would take the 10mm. But I still don't if they will work because i read the shock body has to fit inside the bottom of the top mount I guess.
Old 04-11-2007, 11:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (danis one)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by danis one &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yes I understand they come in 2 sizes, in which i think my application would take the 10mm. But I still don't if they will work because i read the shock body has to fit inside the bottom of the top mount I guess.</TD></TR></TABLE>

shock piston has to fit in the top mount, NOT shock body, it would be impossible for your shock body to even touch the topmount unless you remove your springs.
Old 04-11-2007, 11:50 AM

Right sorry for using the wrong wording. From my understanding and correct me if I am wrong but the top of the piston is lets say 12mm but then it tapers out a little right under the upper mount. I think this wear the piston may not fit into the GC upper mount. This is what I read from searching on this forum I spoke with buddy club and they said the top of the piston is 12mm and didn't see any issues with using another upper mount. BUt GC said that their top hat wouldn't work with anything except oem and other shocks like koni. I guess i will buy them and see.
Old 04-11-2007, 01:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i see, then you need the 12mm ones, dont worry, they dont need to clear the second half of the shock.
Old 06-26-2010, 02:33 PM
Trial User

Default Re: Ground Control extended top hats on Buddy Club N+

i feel that he would need the stock 10mm ones because the N+ can use stock top hats and the cite that i looked them up on says the 10mm ones are stock. i could be wrong but thats what it seems like the right ones
Old 06-26-2010, 08:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would not get the top hats for these shocks as they are shortened body already. Your ride will only get worse since you will be loosing travel.
Old 06-29-2010, 10:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by blinx9900
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by danis one &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yes I understand they come in 2 sizes, in which i think my application would take the 10mm. But I still don't if they will work because i read the shock body has to fit inside the bottom of the top mount I guess.</TD></TR></TABLE>

shock piston has to fit in the top mount, NOT shock body, it would be impossible for your shock body to even touch the topmount unless you remove your springs.
WTF is this info?! the 10mm and 12mm refer to the shaft of your strut, koni's and bilsteins have 12mm shafts while everyone else runs 10mm, you order your tophat based on that, its just the piece inbetween the tophat bushings is swapped out based on your strut.

and the whole reason for the tophat is for your shock body to fit in the tophat in case of massive suspension compression to hit the provided bumpstop and to give back travel from lowering so the internal piston does not bottom out. koni, bilstein, tokico, oem etc struts can all fit in the tophat, all other full coilovers you have to test fit. if they do not fit you just wasted money because the shock body will hit the bottom of the tophat opening and damage everything which is an expensive lesson to learn.

also like stated above, using the GC tophats with a coilover that already has a shortened stroke like your Buddy Clubs is irrelevant and instead of bottoming out the piston you will top out the piston causing it to hit the roof of the assembly which is just as bad.
Old 06-30-2010, 11:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

anyone know the spring rates of the N+ Spec for integras?