Notices
Suspension & Brakes Theory, alignment, spring rates....

EK Suspension. Front higher than rear, why?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 12:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EK Suspension. Front higher than rear, why?

When I first bought my EK, the stock suspension was worn and tired, but at least the rear sat more level with the front than it does now.

Since I bought the car, Ive changed the suspension a few times. First i put stock 99/00 Si shocks & springs in the car. The front ended up looking like a freaking 4x4! After driving like that for a month i couldnt take it anymore and opted for lowering springs.

I picked up some Neuspeed Sport Lowering springs which are 1.75" front, 1.5" rear. I put the fronts on the stock Si shocks in the front first and the car looked great! The front was a lot lower than the rear, but I didnt put the Neuspeed springs in the rear right away because it got late and dark so i put the rears on the next day.

After putting the rears on, the car yet again now sits lower in the rear than the front, what gives?

I checked the slammed and suspension setup threads and theres TONS of EK's in there and none of them have a higher front than rear. It's either even front to back or the rear is higher than the fronts.

I ended up picking up a set of Koni Yellow's which i've now put on the rear with the Neuspeed springs but it didn't change my ride height at all.

Also im not sure why but my rear left tire sits about 1/2" lower than my rear right, and subsequently my front right sits 1/2" higher than my front left. I put ES poly rear spring isolators and shock bushings in the back when I put the Koni Yellows on.

Can anyone give some advice or insight? My rear is practically tucking tire but my fronts not so much.
Old 03-10-2009, 06:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: EK Suspension. Front higher than rear, why?

shouldve gotten coilovers or GC's.

Anywho, thats just how alot of hondas are. when lowering, the rears will almost always sag no matter what. Ive been through Koni/GC and now am on Tein SS-P's and the rears always sag more than the fronts if both are set to the same height. Of course, this is on a mcpherson strut setup but its still a honda.
Old 03-10-2009, 06:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

My car does the same thing, I thought I noticed that one corner may have been lower too. The yellows give you the option to raise the rear a tad if you wish.

And ground controls do offer more adjustability, but not everyone wants to run on a linear rate spring on their daily driver.
Old 03-10-2009, 03:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

Yeah just move the rear shock perches up one notch, should raise the rear about 3/4" or so.

I've always had issues with the rear of my car sitting much higher than the front. When I first installed H&R Sport springs on Koni shocks back in the day, the rear sat alot higher than the front. So much so that I moved the rear Koni perches down to the lowest setting.

When I installed stock Integra springs on the Konis with all perches on the lowest setting, again the rear sat a good 2 finger gap higher than the front. So to correct that I had to put stock ITR rear springs in. Looks much better now, but the rear gap is still just a touch higher than the front.
Old 03-10-2009, 03:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is it possible that you don't have the front shocks set down in the front fork pinch slot all the way?
Old 03-10-2009, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by gabebauman
Is it possible that you don't have the front shocks set down in the front fork pinch slot all the way?
The fronts are in all the way and lined up with the stock dimple. I did not do the "widen pinch fork with flat-head, jack the car on knuckle until lower shock body slips lower into pinch fork" mod yet. I was going to wait until i put the Koni yellows in the front before i do that.

I measured each wheel today from the ground to the center of the wheel well arch.

Rear left = 22.75"
Front left = 23.5"
Front right = 24"
Rear right = 23.5"

Needless to say its quite noticeable. I like the ride height of the rear left @ 22.75" so id rather not raise the rear spring perch on the Koni, however what if i put the front konis on the lowest perch and do the frony pinch fork mod, would that than lower my car in the front more than it is now?
Old 03-10-2009, 07:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

Lowering the front Koni perches should get it down to around 22.25-22.75". Not sure what the wheel motion ratio is on EK Civics. Because of the motion ratio, moving the perch down 1 inch will make the wheel move up into the arch more than 1 inch (maybe 1.3 inches or something).
Old 03-10-2009, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94
Lowering the front Koni perches should get it down to around 22.25-22.75". Not sure what the wheel motion ratio is on EK Civics. Because of the motion ratio, moving the perch down 1 inch will make the wheel move up into the arch more than 1 inch (maybe 1.3 inches or something).
So more negative camber than? Thats good, because right now i have 0 camber in the front. Its really noticeable when I drive too because the wheel doesnt center itself anymore when you turn while you drive. If i turn left, it stays pointed left, and it does the same when im turning right.

It used to center itself fine when I had the stock suspension on, but i think the front being lower now with the stock Si shocks in the front has shifted the geometry UP a hair causing all this.

Thanks for the info Patrick, you seem to be a very knowledgable guy. I'm still new to the Honda world, ask me anything you want about F-Body's and I can tell you but not with Hondas just yet, but so far im loving this Forum, definitely a lot of knowledgable people here.

Last edited by 3rdgen3; 03-10-2009 at 07:57 PM.