Notices
Suspension & Brakes Theory, alignment, spring rates....

Crx suspension q's

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2017, 09:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crx suspension q's

I have a 91 crx si i'd like to road race in the future. I have already purchased Koni "Race" shocks which are the yellows that are shorter and can handle higher spring rates. Here are my questions for you suspension gurus out there:

-if I go with lowering springs opposed to coilover sleeves from a company like Swift or Hyperco, what length do I need? I'd like them to be long enough so they don't come loose during full droop.

-if I decide to go with a coilover sleeve, should I go with the black Koni ones or Groundcontrol?

-what size bumpstops should be used?

-is there any benefit to using 88 "itr" style rear lower control arms?
Old 03-27-2017, 10:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts
Default Re: Crx suspension q's

-Wont matter

-Wont matter

-Half of stock is fine

-Wont matter
Old 03-28-2017, 09:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Care to elaborate?

Originally Posted by Tyson
-Wont matter

-Wont matter

-Half of stock is fine

-Wont matter
Old 03-28-2017, 10:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

the shocks are shortened at the top end. it wont affect the lower perch height or ride height.

so why do you think anything youre concerned about will matter?
Old 03-28-2017, 11:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So what length spring do I need?

the shocks are shortened at the top end. it wont affect the lower perch height or ride height.

so why do you think anything youre concerned about will matter?
Old 03-28-2017, 11:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

what lowering springs come in different lengths?
Old 03-28-2017, 02:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hyperco and Swift.

what lowering springs come in different lengths?
Old 03-28-2017, 02:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

are you talking lowering springs meant to install directly to the shock, or coilover springs meant to go on adjustable perches? lowering springs are defined by its expected drop, not length. a coilover spring is defined by spring rate and static length (and inner diameter).

"-if I go with lowering springs opposed to coilover sleeves from a company like Swift or Hyperco, what length do I need?"

your question makes no sense.

the only way the question makes sense is if youre asking, what "coilover spring length like Swift or Hyperco (and Eibach ERS/GC), opposed to lowering springs from Neuspeed or H&R, do I need." and in that case, just get the regular spring length, because it wont matter much. 7-8" for a civic/crx/integra for most spring rates. and wont matter because theyre shortened shocks.

the second part of your question "I'd like them to be long enough so they don't come loose during full droop." wont matter either because it wont happen while driving unless youre falling off a cliff.
Old 03-28-2017, 04:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I am talking about lowering springs which Swift and Hyperco make in DIFFERENT lengths. I might use their springs instead of a coilover sleeve system.

Also you say it doesn't matter if the springs come loose using coilover sleeves. Why do companies like KW and Ohlins use helper springs then? You going to argue against their engineers? As a personal preference i'd like them not to rattle around and become loose if one side becomes airborne or when I jack the car up.

are you talking lowering springs meant to install directly to the shock, or coilover springs meant to go on adjustable perches? lowering springs are defined by its expected drop, not length. a coilover spring is defined by spring rate and static length (and inner diameter).

"-if I go with lowering springs opposed to coilover sleeves from a company like Swift or Hyperco, what length do I need?"

your question makes no sense.

the only way the question makes sense is if youre asking, what "coilover spring length like Swift or Hyperco (and Eibach ERS/GC), opposed to lowering springs from Neuspeed or H&R, do I need." and in that case, just get the regular spring length, because it wont matter much. 7-8" for a civic/crx/integra for most spring rates. and wont matter because theyre shortened shocks.

the second part of your question "I'd like them to be long enough so they don't come loose during full droop." wont matter either because it wont happen while driving unless youre falling off a cliff.

Last edited by CroSi; 03-28-2017 at 05:00 PM.
Old 03-28-2017, 04:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Reference to helper springs:

http://www.championmotorsport.com/product-p/cms-ohlins.htm

https://www.tirerack.com/suspension/suspension.jsp?model=Variant+3+Coil-Over&make=KW
Old 03-28-2017, 05:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

its really not an argument. youre the one asking questions and not getting the answers you want to hear and just seeing stuff to buy on the internet and posting links.

go ahead and spend the money for them. you wont need them.

springs wont "rattle loose" because the sway bar will keep them up. even if they do, so what? wont matter. they come right back down to the perch. where they gonna go? fall off??

really, think about what youre asking and why.
Old 03-28-2017, 05:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

They can get unseated AND I don't want to have to worry about them seating properly when lowering the car back down.

They make helper springs for a reason.

really, think about what you're saying

its really not an argument. youre the one asking questions and not getting the answers you want to hear and just seeing stuff to buy on the internet and posting links.

go ahead and spend the money for them. you wont need them.

springs wont "rattle loose" because the sway bar will keep them up. even if they do, so what? wont matter. they come right back down to the perch. where they gonna go? fall off??

really, think about what youre asking and why.
Old 03-28-2017, 07:30 PM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

?? So...its not lowering springs you're asking about.

They make SPRINGS in different lengths. How does one know they will lower the car if they are available in any length? Will a 500LB, 10" spring lower a CRX? No.

You are asking about universal race springs.

They make lowering springs specific to a car. It acts as a drop-in replacement for a stock spring...only....*lower*. They are measured in amount of drop. "These lowering springs lower the car 1.5 inches", for example. They could be 800ft long or 2" long. They lower the car by the advertised amount.

You want race springs or just...UNIVERSAL SPRINGS (flat bottom) for use on a coilover. Yes?

Because you cant buy custom/specified length universal 2.5" ID springs and use them on a shock with no coil sleeve. The springs have flat bottoms. They are NOT lowering springs. They need to mount on coilover perches.

If you don't want them loose for your own unique reasons...then run the thread adjuster up. Car too high? Get helper springs.

Most civic coilover springs are like 7" long. That give you enough room to do what you want with the setup...in the normal realm of rates.

If you have a silly low rate spring and want the car to ride high...you get long springs.

Silly high rates and want the car lower? Short springs.

What rates do you want? Are you concerned with available height adjustment? In which direction?

Wha are you trying to do here?
Old 03-28-2017, 07:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

There is the answer I am looking for!

i was just confused because I want to run either Hyperco or Swift springs but I see on their website they are not specific to any car...just have different sizes and rates.

Originally Posted by B serious
?? So...its not lowering springs you're asking about.

They make SPRINGS in different lengths. How does one know they will lower the car if they are available in any length? Will a 500LB, 10" spring lower a CRX? No.

You are asking about universal race springs.

They make lowering springs specific to a car. It acts as a drop-in replacement for a stock spring...only....*lower*. They are measured in amount of drop. "These lowering springs lower the car 1.5 inches", for example. They could be 800ft long or 2" long. They lower the car by the advertised amount.

You want race springs or just...UNIVERSAL SPRINGS (flat bottom) for use on a coilover. Yes?

Because you cant buy custom/specified length universal 2.5" ID springs and use them on a shock with no coil sleeve. The springs have flat bottoms. They are NOT lowering springs. They need to mount on coilover perches.

If you don't want them loose for your own unique reasons...then run the thread adjuster up. Car too high? Get helper springs.

Most civic coilover springs are like 7" long. That give you enough room to do what you want with the setup...in the normal realm of rates.

If you have a silly low rate spring and want the car to ride high...you get long springs.

Silly high rates and want the car lower? Short springs.

What rates do you want? Are you concerned with available height adjustment? In which direction?

Wha are you trying to do here?
Old 03-28-2017, 08:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

Old 03-29-2017, 04:56 AM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That all being said, the easiest thing to do is buy a ground control coilover setup MEANT FOR KONI YELLOWS.

Pick your own spring rates. They should come with ~6.5 or 7" springs unless you specify otherwise.

I've used from 5.5" (570LB) to 8" (400LB) long springs on my ITR without issue.

Raise. Lower. Buy helpers later. Don't buy helpers. Change spring rates later. Whatever your heart desires.
Old 03-29-2017, 10:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Great I appreciate the help

Originally Posted by B serious
That all being said, the easiest thing to do is buy a ground control coilover setup MEANT FOR KONI YELLOWS.

Pick your own spring rates. They should come with ~6.5 or 7" springs unless you specify otherwise.

I've used from 5.5" (570LB) to 8" (400LB) long springs on my ITR without issue.

Raise. Lower. Buy helpers later. Don't buy helpers. Change spring rates later. Whatever your heart desires.