Notices
Suspension & Brakes Theory, alignment, spring rates....

CLICK HERE all of you curious about suspension setups and their costs/reliability.

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 09:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: CLICK HERE all of you curious about suspension setups and their costs/reliability

Originally Posted by Mister T
Libertariat, every time I see your car I cry a little, it's just so damn clean. I love Civics but I'm too damn big to fit in one comfortably LOL.

I didn't see the Megan EZ Street coilovers ($650-700, depending on where you get them) mentioned, might have missed it if they were. I know Megan gets a bad rap but I figured I'd throw my opinion in here. I've had mine on for about a month now but between my daily commute and a road trip down south I've already racked up quite a few miles in a very short time. They ride very comfortably compared to some spring and shock combo's I've had on other cars. I won't say they ride like stock, but to me they give comfort that's comparable to stock while still giving a tight and responsive feel. No bounce, no pogo-sticking over expansion joints and other imperfections in the road, no bone-jarring from bumps. That said, I wouldn't recommend them for track use. There are far and away better options for the performance-minded. The true test in my mind will be how they hold up in the next year but so far, so good.

Reason why they weren't mention is they are just not good shocks in the long run for the price. Progress CS-II same price range will blow those out of the water. They actually match their spring rate to shocks and I had my old ones(not CS-II) last nearly 11 years before I sold mine! The new owner told me that they were the best coilovers he has ever owned! haha
Old 09-20-2011, 10:02 AM
Ek Forever y0!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: CLICK HERE all of you curious about suspension setups and their costs/reliability

Originally Posted by Mister T
They ride very comfortably compared to some spring and shock combo's I've had on other cars.
I'll concede the rest of your post to STOCK SOHC DX

But, what is inherently different with shocks/springs and a full coilover? What makes them ride rougher?
Old 09-20-2011, 10:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Libertariat
But, what is inherently different with shocks/springs and a full coilover?
Nothing of practical consideration.

What makes them ride rougher?
Spring rates and shock valving.
Old 09-20-2011, 10:33 AM
Ek Forever y0!

Originally Posted by TunerN00b
Nothing of practical consideration.

Spring rates and shock valving.
My points exactly. The fact that they are not one piece doesn't make them worse/better.

It was a facetious question
Old 09-20-2011, 12:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You don't see bilsteins because I don't have any personal experience with them nor are they mentioned much on the forums I frequent.
Bilstein's are very well known in the Honda Community because they entered the market fairly late and because they don't have any adjustment *****. People in the Honda/Acura community love *****, its part of the whole "tuner" car thing.

The biggest difference between Koni and Bilstein is that Koni uses a twin tube design and Bilsteins use a monotube. What this translates to is Bilstein shocks use a significantly larger piston than the comparable Konis. And when it comes to dampers, the bigger the piston the more consistent the damping (assuming the quality level on the shocks is the same which in this case Koni and Bilstein are both of very high quality). In the Civic/Integra application Koni's pistons are between 36-38mm, Bilstein's are 46mm. Plus the Blistein's compensate for lack of a **** by allowing the user to tune their own suspension, parts support, tuning support, etc.

If anyone is planning on buying suspension I would highly recommend trying Bilstein's rather than Koni's.

An interesting read for those who haven't read it.

Autocross to Win
Old 09-20-2011, 12:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only thing I could find on the Koni vs Bilstein was the Bilstein feel firmer over bumps or rebound very fast and that you can't go real low due to the bigger diameter unless you custom made extended top hats to fit the tube that big in there. Nobody ever said there was a vast difference or that it would be bad to chose one over the other. IMO both are very high quality dampeners, Koni is just more prevalent in the Honda community with prices hard to beat.
Old 09-20-2011, 07:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

My points exactly. The fact that they are not one piece doesn't make them worse/better.

It was a facetious question
I wasn't making the argument that the Megan's, or any coilover for that matter, is better than a shock and spring combo via being one piece, nor was I stating that being a full coilover makes them less bouncy/more comfortable. My intention was merely to state my opinion of the product, based on my own experience. Believe me when I say I am well aware of the more popular and accepted products and I know full well the quality of the often recommended choices. Also believe that if the Megan's don't last or prove to be the pieces of **** people claim they are, then I'll be more than willing to share that. For now though, I am happy with my choice.
Old 09-20-2011, 08:46 PM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

People do know that 9 times out of 10 their "one peice" is noithing more then a shock with a damn threaded sleeve welded to it, right?
Old 09-20-2011, 10:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by FlewByU352
The only thing I could find on the Koni vs Bilstein was the Bilstein feel firmer over bumps or rebound very fast and that you can't go real low due to the bigger diameter unless you custom made extended top hats to fit the tube that big in there. Nobody ever said there was a vast difference or that it would be bad to chose one over the other. IMO both are very high quality dampeners, Koni is just more prevalent in the Honda community with prices hard to beat.
Ride height and top hats are not different between the two, Bilsteins work with Ground Control extended top hats the same as Konis and offer the same "damper trick" as Konis. There is no such thing as a "dampener" it's a "damper" and Konis are just more prevalent in the Honda community.
Old 09-26-2011, 05:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Libertariat

Would corner balancing the suspension when setting up the coilovers be beneficial? I'm particularly interested in shock travel for daily driving on crappy roads and then optimum suspension tuning for the track maybe once per month. Looking into a sway bar setup for a 95 del sol. While at it my 2000 Civic Si sway bar endlinks came apart. Thinking of just replacing the endlinks but I really don't know what would cause this...

Great thread.
Old 09-26-2011, 10:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Hkustoms
Would corner balancing the suspension when setting up the coilovers be beneficial?
Only for a race car looking for that last bit of performance.

For a street car, just set the spring perches at the same height left/right and call it "close enough" (after all, that's close enough for anything without threaded perches, including stock).

Also keep in mind that the car will generally look even less level after a corner balancing, which is generally not desired for a street car.

That said, I've had it done, and it only resulted in a very minor difference in on track performance.
Old 09-26-2011, 11:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TunerN00b
Only for a race car looking for that last bit of performance.

For a street car, just set the spring perches at the same height left/right and call it "close enough" (after all, that's close enough for anything without threaded perches, including stock).

Also keep in mind that the car will generally look even less level after a corner balancing, which is generally not desired for a street car.

That said, I've had it done, and it only resulted in a very minor difference in on track performance.
I corner balanced my EK hatch and it made a huge difference on the street. Then again this was highway and mountain driving.
Old 09-27-2011, 08:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

What about KYB shocks?
Old 09-27-2011, 10:20 AM
Ek Forever y0!

Originally Posted by stocksucks85
What about KYB shocks?
I didn't mention them because for the price there are better alternatives for not much more money. This question is going to get very old.

A lot of you don't realize that I don't offer a myriad of options FOR THE SOLE PURPOSE of making the decision easier.

I for one hold the belief that saving for the better/higher quality item is worth it in the long run. If I don't mention something it's because I feel that it is in YOUR best interest to wait and buy a tried and true setup that will last your car decades instead of months.
Old 09-28-2011, 02:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Awesome write up!
Old 10-15-2011, 09:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Wut about d2 suspension? I hear they ride pretty smooth and u could slam em pretty low too.. So y u feel they are in the bad companies list?
Old 10-15-2011, 09:50 PM
Master Detailer

Originally Posted by JDMswagg25
Wut about d2 suspension? I hear they ride pretty smooth and u could slam em pretty low too.. So y u feel they are in the bad companies list?
Becuase they are shitty, low quality parts.

Is this even a serious question?

It's the OP's opinion, as well as many others that D2, SUCKS. I don't have them, but I know someone on here does. Post the pictures of the broken D2 coilovers.
Old 10-15-2011, 10:12 PM
Ek Forever y0!

Name:  brokenD2.jpg
Views: 510
Size:  61.5 KB

Name:  30870_396363841033_668186033_4793431_5383311_n.jpg
Views: 555
Size:  48.7 KB

Name:  opentrackdayaaron060ys8.jpg
Views: 545
Size:  71.1 KB

Name:  brokenD2.jpg
Views: 510
Size:  61.5 KB

D2's are fantastic. Clearly.
Attached Images  
Old 10-16-2011, 12:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

^^ Oh dammmnnn.. How many miles it took u to have lookin like that and what type of setup
Old 10-16-2011, 09:34 AM
Master Detailer

^^ Oh dammmnnn.. How many miles it took u to have lookin like that and what type of setup
What??
Old 10-16-2011, 10:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 98civdx
What??
Disregard my noobness lol... But ive seen and heard enough about D2s to convince me othrrwise
Old 10-16-2011, 11:03 AM
Master Detailer

Disregard my noobness lol... But ive seen and heard enough about D2s to convince me othrrwise
being a noob has noithing to do with that. That is pure stupidity.

Is it really that difficult to use some proper freaking grammer?
Old 10-16-2011, 11:16 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 98civdx
being a noob has noithing to do with that. That is pure stupidity.

Is it really that difficult to use some proper freaking grammer?
It's Typespeak. It's the new texting language.
Old 10-16-2011, 11:56 AM
Master Detailer

Originally Posted by grumblemarc
It's Typespeak. It's the new texting language.
I will ****ing back hand any of friends if they ever text me that kind of crap.

Thankfully most of my friends have some sort of an education.
Old 10-16-2011, 12:27 PM
Ek Forever y0!

Does it really matter?

PS. Have you ever read a book?

Quick Reply: CLICK HERE all of you curious about suspension setups and their costs/reliability.