Notices
Suspension & Brakes Theory, alignment, spring rates....

Car shaking while accelerating help

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2012, 04:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car shaking while accelerating help

Hi guys, I posted this in other forum but no help, so I am posting here.

Before new clutch: Every time I hit the gas, the car shake as if you have a warp rotor and pressing the brake at high speed. I have replaced both axles, new brake rotor and pad. The mechanic did look at my half shaft and notice no play in the bearing. The weird thing is that is not happen every time I press the gas, maybe 80% of the time only. The other time the car run smoothly.

After new clutch: The shaking still there but only in 1st and 2nd gear, rarely 3rd. Again, it does not happen all the time.

Anyone have any idea whats going on? Three different mechanic shop have no idea what could be the problem? They all said it could be the half shaft, axle or engine/tranny mount, but they check and seem fine...
Old 07-21-2012, 04:47 PM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Re: Car shaking while accelerating help

Sounds like your driving. My wife does that and when I drive her car it doesn't happen.
Old 07-21-2012, 04:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

sounds still like axles problem.
Old 07-21-2012, 04:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So can you explain to my how my driving could be the problem? I agree with you, it could be the way I drive, especially when the mechanic test drove my car, the damn car is fine. But this problem is recently, and I been driving the same car, stock, the past 8 years.
Old 07-21-2012, 05:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Skylinecx1212, if it the axle issue, wouldn't the shaking/vibration suppose to happen every time and not on and off? I did replaced both axle, and twice on the right side to test it out. It still the same.
Old 07-21-2012, 05:17 PM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

No finesse with clutch and accelerator. Too much power before the clutch is all the way out.
Old 07-21-2012, 07:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Isn't that at launch point? I think I know what you mean, but this is totally different. This happen even during driving, as long as I increase the speed, the car shake.

Ok, assuming the driving style is normal, the CORRECT way, is there any other part(s) you might think I need to take a look into?
Old 07-21-2012, 07:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So taking 40-60mph into perspective ?

Car shakes at an accelerating speed or even a constant high speed ?

Did you try swapping the tires from front to back to see if that reduces the problem or
completely takes care of it ?

If symptoms like this occur at my shop, I usually start off with the tires before putting wheel bearings, axles, etc.
into perspective.

Hope this helps ? Maybe a video you can post.
Old 07-22-2012, 12:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It don't matter what speed, as soon as I hit the gas, the car shake. It does not at constant speed. I did tried to swap tires from to back, no help. I have not try re-balance them yet. Wheel bearing just replaced a year ago, and did check by lifting up the car, shook the tires side to side, up and down to see any foul play, none exist.
Old 07-22-2012, 04:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hmmm. Just for ***** and giggles I know this might not resolve your problem because
it would not relate to the described symptoms but ... lift the car up ... on jackstands.

Placing the jackstands underneath the front LCA's so there is a load on the arms.

Lower the car so there is a load on the control arms and take a huge pry bar.

Position the pry bar right underneath the front tire and pry up while analyzing for any
given play.
Old 07-23-2012, 06:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I had this issue when I did my B18C swap in my EK. I think I was using Integra axles when it happened. I switched to axles and halfshaft for a Civic Si EM1 and the problems went away.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Bad tires, unballanced wheels causes shaking at high speeds. Acceleration or constant.
Don't matter.
Old 07-23-2012, 10:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok, my next step is to re balance the tires, and replace the half shaft and see if it go away.

The weird thing is everything was fine, until I replaced the front rotors and pad. Did asked around, they all said rotors wouldn't cause the issue I'm having.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

what axles u using?
Old 07-23-2012, 10:31 PM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

What's the conditon of the motor mount/trans mount bushings?

Also, brand new axles can still vibrate like a SOB. definetly the cheapo parts store axles.
Old 07-23-2012, 11:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I use Cardone (sp?) and one from GSK I think. Motor and trans mount bushing is OK shape. I don't think it the axles that are causing this since they were fine before the brake change. Only after the brakes replaced, the shaking/vibrating exist. I changed out both axles since the boot was torn.
Old 07-24-2012, 12:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Front end bushings crispy? Causing the wheels to shimmy during acceleration for lack of better terms? Have your alignment checked good sir.
Old 07-24-2012, 03:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have this same issue. It has become really frustrating. This is for the driver side: I started with a blown F2 (FUNCTION fORM) shock, replaced the shock. Then, I changed the axle, wheel bearing, only then did the vibration when turning left go away. Now I have vibration on the passenger side when turning right. I then changed all motor mounts because they were shot, thinking that would solve the problem, but that was not the case. Problem still there! I just went to F2 to have the passenger side shock looked at, they said it was good. So now I am stumped. I will have the car aligned tomorrow and hope that will solve the problem. I thought for sure it would have been the passenger side shock since when I hit a bump, I felt the vibration even more and because I felt the vibration more also when I made a tight right turn. If anyone has any advice, I am listening.. thanks in advance..
Old 07-24-2012, 07:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

any way its possible the clutch when being replaced the flywheel or pressure plate wasnt tourqed properly or at all and is wobbling inside the case? u have touched two things that are both in use when moving those should be the firts things u mess with check and see if the brake calipers are tight enough and every bolt u touched is also tourqed down ,.,., it sound stupid but eliminate possible problem u may have caused unintentionaly
Old 07-24-2012, 07:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I did asked my neighbor and my dad, they both think it could be unevenly installation of the clutch. I did took back to the shop, but like I said, the problem was not there when the mechanic test drove it lol. I will try to re-bleed the brake, unbolt and bolt everything back again and see.
Old 07-24-2012, 05:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Okie, just lifted up my car and check again, and notice the left wheel is loose a bit. When I grab the wheel and move up n down, left n right, there is a play involve, roughly 1/2in??? Usually that is a bad bearing correct? The mechanic I went for clutch replacement also mentioned that my axle does not fit up correctly, and there is a loose play involve. Not sure what he meant, but today I just found this out after shaking the wheel. Could it be a bad axle instead? (I'm hoping it would, it is cheaper to replace lol)

I remember I had this issue before, but that does not lead to shaking while accelerating, or does it?
Old 07-24-2012, 06:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Rotors are going to cause vibration during "braking" if warped.

Side to side play indicates a worn outter or inner tie rod end.

The best way to make an assumption for the outter tie rod end is to grab a pair of big
pliers and squeeze the outter tie rod end while shacking the tire side to side if you're having
difficulty noticing any obvious play in the outter. If there's play still involved while the clinch goes on,
it's the inner. If there isn't any play and you let go, and play resumes ... it's the outter.

The up and down movement will indicate two things:

1. Upper and Lower ball joints. Again, put a load on the control arm, and lift up a pry bar
right underneath the tire, applying force at a gradual pace. With the slow movement
involved you will have an easier time identifying the play in either the upper or the
lower ball joints.

2. If none of the above are indications for this up and down "play" symptom, then look
in the back at your axle. If the axle has a tendency to flex, it's most likely going to be
your wheel bearing for that hub.
Old 07-24-2012, 07:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm sure it not the ball joints, as I took out the wheel and the rotor actually move side to side, up and down. Although I did notice that when I move around the rotor, the caliber did not move and seem like there is a gap.
Old 07-25-2012, 04:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

What ?
Old 07-25-2012, 07:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

lol sorry, English is not my friend.....What I am trying to say is that when I lift up the car, the wheel can wobble loosely. After I took out the wheel, I can wiggle the rotor, roughly 1/2in in play. I thought that would be the wheel bearing is bad, but if it is a bad bearing, I dont think it will cause the shaking since when the shaking first exist, I checked both wheel and there are no loose wheel or anything.

When I turn the wheel either backward or forward, I also noticed the axle flex a bit up, but that could just be the boot unevenly turning and tricking my eyes.

Quick Reply: Car shaking while accelerating help