Notices
Suspension & Brakes Theory, alignment, spring rates....

Car bouncy PLEASE HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2016, 05:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon4 Car bouncy PLEASE HELP!!

Hey guys I have a 96 integra gsr and it rides really bouncy and it would be greatly appreciated if someone could give me some advice. I'm running 195/55/15s all the way around. I've got function form type 1's too. I let my buddy install the coilovers when I was at work a while ago and I think he adjusted the top 2 nuts instead of the bottom one because a couple days ago I was looking at them and noticed the preload was off. So I went ahead and reset the preload according to function forms instructions. I though it was going to fix the bounce but it only helped out a little bit. The coilovers probably have about 1500 miles on them.Also the car is gutted in the back. I don't know what to do guys please help what else would cause this?!?!
Old 12-19-2016, 12:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Car bouncy PLEASE HELP!!

Bump!
Old 12-19-2016, 01:14 PM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Sounds like the shocks are no good , "bounce" is controlled by the shock absorber, a simple check is to press down on the back end, [hatch] and let go, it should not bounce at all it should pop up the rest position and stop moving, if it bounces at all the shocks are NG. 94
Old 12-20-2016, 07:34 AM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Your problems are:
F&F's are terrible. Its not uncommon for them to be bouncy. I bought a CRX that had type 1's on it and they rode worse than riding a donkey across mountainous terrain.

You need to reset preload by first removing the shocks from the car. You cannot properly set preload while they are installed because of bushing bind.

Remove. Reset. Reinstall. Enjoy. Get sick of them. Sell them. Give up on Hondas. Buy a Subaru. Blow it up in a week. Buy a Buick. Leave it stock. Give up on modded cars.

^At least...that's the order I've seen the pattern go after buying F&F's.
Old 12-20-2016, 12:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 615 Likes on 487 Posts

No one asked how low his car is?

Oh, I guess that means I just did
Old 12-20-2016, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by spAdam
No one asked how low his car is?

Oh, I guess that means I just did

They're full body adjustable. The shock travel isn't impacted by ride height.

However....his buddy lowered the car via spring heights. And he tried to re-set the spring preload while it was still installed in the car.

This means that his shock travel is less than it should be.

Full body coilovers are travel limited by design. So preload plays a HUGE role in ride quality. You should almost never reduce the usual factory recommendations of about 2mm unless you heavily increase spring rates.

The preload needs to be re-set. The only way to do this is at full shock extension. Which...isn't going to happen unless he either disconnects the LCA and/or manipulates the shock into full extension.

Nah.

Remove it from the car to reset preloads.

Then re-install it.

That should get him off the bumpstop (hopefully). If its still harsh and bouncy...one would try *INCREASING* preload to give the shock more room to work. Increase about 5-10mm at a time and re-check the ride.
Old 12-20-2016, 01:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah but if the thing is in the weeds it's gonna be a sled regardless of if it has poorly set up F&Fs or a custom engineered set of Penskes... the geometry gets jacked so fast once you get past 2", the TA bushings, ruca bushings, and front compliance bushings are tearing themselves apart, the fuca ***** joints are out of travel and probably running into the towers. It's worth asking.

I agree with the rest of the post though, correctly setting up what he has is step one of the diagnosis.
Old 12-21-2016, 01:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey guys I'm really sorry I haven't replied to your questions. I've been super busy. Anyways my car is not terribly low, just enough to tuck 15 inch wheels about a finger. And yeah that makes sense B serious I didn't reset my preload off the car I'm going to have to try that when I get off tonight. And what if it's still bouncy would you recommend tightening the preload up a centimeter or so??
Old 12-21-2016, 03:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Tucking any tire is pretty low actually. Star with B's recommendation and go from there.
Old 12-21-2016, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by S360turboteg
Hey guys I'm really sorry I haven't replied to your questions. I've been super busy. Anyways my car is not terribly low, just enough to tuck 15 inch wheels about a finger. And yeah that makes sense B serious I didn't reset my preload off the car I'm going to have to try that when I get off tonight. And what if it's still bouncy would you recommend tightening the preload up a centimeter or so??

Reset them off the car.

If its still bouncy, add about 5-10mm of preload and keep checking the ride.

You then turn the whole shock down into the lower mount to lower the car to where you want it. MAKE SURE the spring perches and top center nut are tight before doing this.

What are the spring rates on F&F 1's?

If it keeps bouncing....it may just be a limitation of those shocks. The ones I experienced were very bouncy and under-damped.