Notices
Suspension & Brakes Theory, alignment, spring rates....

Calling all Honda rally guys! Suspension question

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2016, 09:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Calling all Honda rally guys! Suspension question

Hello all, so this weekend, I was talking with a friend that rally races Subarus. Well, he has got the hamster wheel spinning in my head and I am interested in building a rally Honda. I want to build something budget though to start off with so I can improve driving with a lower hp car. My chasis of choice will more than likely be a EF platform but it all depends on what is for sale at the lowest price when I purchase the car. As I stated, budget is the key here. I plan on a B swap, suspension, cage, tires, pretty much just the basics. However, I am trying to figure out suspension options. Common suggestions seem to be DMS, Hotbits, etc but I want something more basic to start off with. Are there any basic strut/spring combos that will be good to start off with? If nothing, I will just spend the money but suggestive alternatives are appreciated!
Old 04-07-2017, 06:57 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Calling all Honda rally guys! Suspension question

You can run Accord front struts to get some extra height but the springs are a larger diameter so that causes 2 problems. One, you have to use EK or DC top hats, plus the spring rubs on the spindle upright. You'll have to run camber adjusters. Another option would be to run DC2 front struts and a set of lift spacers. For the rear you can simply run DC2 rears and flip the LCAs upside down. Then add the lift spacers to gain even more height. Thats about all you can do and still be able to align the car without more custom parts. For what you're doing you might be better off with a set of threaded body coilovers and custom springs, then add the lift spacers if you need the extra ground clearance.
Old 04-07-2017, 07:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

All that mentioned sounds like a nightmare of suspension geometry changes. Especially for an EF.

Why not build something like a 1st Gen crv? I'm not suggesting it for the weak rtawd, but simply for the ground clearance.

There is a guy rallying a del sol. You could see what he's running.

​​​​

​​​​
Old 04-09-2017, 09:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would suggest some revalved Bilsteins. They can generate quite a bit of compression force, which would be useful in keeping the car off the bump stops in a rally situation.