Notices
Suspension & Brakes Theory, alignment, spring rates....

Broken bolt - rear shock to LCA

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2006, 10:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broken bolt - rear shock to LCA

So I started installing GC adj. springs andTokico Illumina's Friday night. The fronts went on great, no problems. The rears are about to make me go insane!!!

The rear shock to lower control arm bolt is a 14mm bolt which screws through through one fork arm of the shock, through the metal sleved bushing in the control arm and out the other fork into a 17mm nut. The nut is welded to the shock fork.

Everything had been hit with penetrating fluid the night before but the cheater bar I used busted the 14mm head right off.

I tried a bolt extractor but it wont budge. Then I cut the 17mm nut off with my rotozip and tried the extractor, no dice. At this point I just cut the whole damn shock out.

Autozone had a replacement bolt but the bushing has a halfway drilled out bolt stuck inside. Any advice on what to do now?

Would it be possible to push out that bushing and push in a new one with hand tools?

I have pictures but my camera USB cable is at work so I'll upload them tomorrow. Guess I'll need to find a ride into work. DOH!

Thanks for any help...
Old 05-21-2006, 07:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts
Default Re: Broken bolt - rear shock to LCA (sohc_student)

sounds like the bushing is going to need to be replaced completely.

ive tried to use a "balljoint press" you can rent from autozone to push those rear bushings out. its a glorified C clamp. i was successful like 1 out of 6 bushings. you could try it tho. but then youll need a new bushing too.
Old 09-04-2006, 02:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Broken bolt - rear shock to LCA (sohc_student)

similar scenario over the three day weekend...
busted a bolt where the rear sway bar end link mounts to the LCA.
ANY SUGGESTIONS ON GETTING THE BUSTED HALF OUT OF THE HOLE?

i was so pissed,.. i just bought these LCAs
Old 09-04-2006, 05:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Broken bolt - rear shock to LCA (JEM MotorSports)

The LCA bolt is a common problem on nearly any old Honda. Here is what I do. Cut(w/ a Sawzall, cutoff tool) the lower "fork" section off of the bottom of the rear shock. This will give you total access to the bushing area on the LCA. Here is where it gets a little smelly. I usually burn out the middle sleeve of the bushing to allow access to get the sawzall blade into the actual bushing. Once the metal sleeve is out you will have access to the metal sleeve that surrounds the entire bushing inside the hole in the LCA. I cut that sleeve in several spots then, using a punch, hammer out the old bushing. If you dont have a press and dont want to remove the LCA from the car get an Energy Susp LCA bushing and install that. Those bushings are super easy to install with out a press.

hth
If you have questions just ask, I've been there done that many times.
Old 09-04-2006, 05:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

last time this happened to a friends car instead of messing with the bushing we just cut off the nut welded to the shock forks and then took a big punch and hammered for awhile on the bolt stuck in the metal sleeve and it eventually popped right out and we just got a new bolt and it was good to go. Much easier than drilling, burning etc.
Old 09-04-2006, 06:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Only 1 i had all 6 go on me. I just spent abotu 4-5 days heating it, soaking it, beating it, and then eventually bought a sawzall and jsut the **** out of them(i took it in the *** when the deal charged me abotu 120$ for bolts). As for bushings jsut get it to a shop and have them press it out and get es bushings so you dotn have to press them back in...luckily my gfs dad is a mechanic!
Old 09-04-2006, 11:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a rear integra LCA and bolt I can sell you for cheep PM me if your interested