Notices
Suspension & Brakes Theory, alignment, spring rates....

AMR Engineering Coilover Review

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2017, 03:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts
Default AMR Engineering Coilover Review

Just wanted to give a shout out to AMR Engineering at www.amrengineering.com and share my experience with everyone. There are a few old reviews out there that bash the company and I thought I’d post a thread here with a positive and current perspective. AMR Engineering has been in business for over 10 years and I have had my eye on a set of their coilovers for quite some time now. I have sent emails to the company over the years asking questions about their coilovers and what would work best with my setup. Andy, the owner of AMR Engineering, has responded to every email and he has even taken the time to call me personally when I didn’t even ask for a phone call. Over these years Andy has shown me nothing but patience and professionalism, as well as an interest in providing stellar customer service to me, the average Joe. Once I finally placed my order and paid for the product, that same level of customer service was still there.

There were only two things that were keeping me from pulling the trigger, the cost and the turn around time. A set of AMR's coilovers do not come cheap, but for what you are getting in comparison to other company's coilovers, it is money well spent. And really you can spend a hell of a lot more on a set of “high-line” coilovers, and get a hell of a lot less out of them. You can also go cheap and just keep replacing your coilovers every 2-4 years, sometimes even sooner. If quality, handling, comfort, and customer service are important to you, then these coilovers are a smart investment for your vehicles suspension.

AMR's lead-time on a set of coilovers seemed to be an issue when the company was young. It wasn't so much of an issue to me as I had already waited quite a while to place my order, so I was expecting and willing to wait especially for something that was going to be custom made and not just pulled off of the shelf. To my surprise, AMR's lead-time has been drastically reduced these days, and they are able to get a set of coilovers to their customers within weeks now instead of months. I placed my order at the end of this past November (Nov. 29th) and the coilovers arrived at my doorstep on Dec. 29th. Now mind you they were being put together and shipping out during the holidays. Also, AMR at the time I placed my order was out of the springs that I needed for my set up. This delayed their arrival by approx one week. That's pretty impressive even if I wasn't planning on waiting months for them.

Throughout this process, Andy from AMR Engineering has kept in contact with me. Updating me on the progress, asking about my setup, and making sure I was kept in the loop. This is very important to me as it makes me confident that if any issues happen to come about, they will be met with quick answers and professionalism.

So in summary, these are some of the reasons why I choose to go with coilovers from AMR;
- Quality
- Customer Service
- Function
- Adjustability
- Serviceability
- Made in the USA
- Lifetime warranty
- And damn they look good (even though I will never see them once installed)

So check AMR Engineering out and give them a chance. You can find them at www.amrengineering.com and on their Facebook page at
Facebook Post
And oh yeah, they make a hell of a lot more than just coilovers.

These coilovers will be going on my ’97 Honda Civic hatchback. I will be updating this thread occasionally with the install on my vehicle and my impression of the ride. I also have a build thread here on H-T that I will be including this review in. If you would like to check that out, go to https://honda-tech.com/forums/tech-m...oject-3268963/ For now, I will leave you with some shots of the these coilovers…

Came packaged nicely.

Fresh out of the box

Awesome tooling
These things are beautiful

Hyperco springs 650/550
Height adjustability without spring rate compromise
All necessary hardware
Old 02-08-2017, 05:42 PM
I like to party

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: AMR Engineering Coilover Review

Nice review! Looking forward to your thoughts once you get them on the car. Will you be tracking these or is it just a solid daily setup?

I placed an order the same time as you, and I'm still waiting, but I also opted for the spherical top hat upgrade, as well as the Swift springs, so I knew it would take a bit longer than normal, Andy had to get the top hats made. He also had to order my Swift springs as they were not in stock. Like you said, he's been pretty good with communication. Not only that, he let me make a deposit to begin the build, and then pay the balance in payments, which helped out my bank account tremendously. He's kept in contact with me throughout the process and kept me updated on the build progress as things move along. Overall it's been a great experience.

My only complaint, if I had to bitch about something, is that I didn't get any sort of receipt or proof of payment, so my paypal payments are the only paper trail I have of purchasing these... I would have liked a document with AMR's logo on it saying that I paid in full, and listing what I paid for. I can only assume I'll get some sort of receipt when the coilovers arrive to put in my documentation for the car... I'm kind of **** about saving receipts, and documenting the money I've spent on this car. Like I said, if I was looking for things to bitch about.

Also, I prefer how the generation 1 locking perches look aesthetically. I'm sure these 2nd generation ones work better, but the Gen 1 perches just looked cool.

Last edited by 2LEM1; 02-08-2017 at 06:10 PM.
Old 02-09-2017, 12:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice! Subscribed for more.

BTW are the dampers bodies made of steel or aluminum?
Old 02-09-2017, 03:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 2LEM1
Nice review! Looking forward to your thoughts once you get them on the car. Will you be tracking these or is it just a solid daily setup?

I placed an order the same time as you, and I'm still waiting, but I also opted for the spherical top hat upgrade, as well as the Swift springs, so I knew it would take a bit longer than normal, Andy had to get the top hats made. He also had to order my Swift springs as they were not in stock. Like you said, he's been pretty good with communication. Not only that, he let me make a deposit to begin the build, and then pay the balance in payments, which helped out my bank account tremendously. He's kept in contact with me throughout the process and kept me updated on the build progress as things move along. Overall it's been a great experience.

My only complaint, if I had to bitch about something, is that I didn't get any sort of receipt or proof of payment, so my paypal payments are the only paper trail I have of purchasing these... I would have liked a document with AMR's logo on it saying that I paid in full, and listing what I paid for. I can only assume I'll get some sort of receipt when the coilovers arrive to put in my documentation for the car... I'm kind of **** about saving receipts, and documenting the money I've spent on this car. Like I said, if I was looking for things to bitch about.

Also, I prefer how the generation 1 locking perches look aesthetically. I'm sure these 2nd generation ones work better, but the Gen 1 perches just looked cool.
It's no longer a daily driver, more like a weekend worrier. I do still drive it on the streets and highways every now and then. For now it will just see straight line tracking at the drag strip. I just went with the Hyperco springs for now as I can always upgrade to them later. I also didn't need the pillow ball top mounts because I am already running camber kits in the front and rear, and I did want a little bit of a softer ride on the streets. It's well worth the weight though how ever long it takes. I was pretty surprised that mine showed up as quickly as they did.

I was emailed an invoice for my purchase, so maybe contact Andy about that. I also took a screen shot of my order after it was placed. There was no paper work that came with the coilovers themselves when they were delivered.

I'm not sure why they changed the spring purches on the Gen 2. It looks like the new ones are a little easier to use due to more spots to place the tool. I would think that would make it easier to engage the tool in tight spots while the coilover is installed on the vehicle. I have to admit, I'm a bit of a novice when it comes to suspension tuning. I don't ever plan to adjust the spring perches and mess with the spring rates. They are set from AMR at 650/550 and that is where I will keep them. Maybe if I ever have to preload the springs for some reason will be the only time I will mess with them. I do know that the Gen 2 now comes with a wider one piece lower mount for the rears. This is so it can be interchangeable among the EG, EK, and DC2. This is what the four spacers are for on the lower mounting bolts.
Old 02-09-2017, 03:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by KoRn_vIRuZ
Nice! Subscribed for more.

BTW are the dampers bodies made of steel or aluminum?
I know the top mounts as well as the lower mounts on the rears are made of aluminum. As for the bodies, I am not sure what they are made of. Good question.
Old 02-09-2017, 04:54 PM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I've had mine in the car for about a year now. I love them.
Old 02-09-2017, 11:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 98civdx
I've had mine in the car for about a year now. I love them.
Old 02-10-2017, 03:19 PM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DarryCar
I know the top mounts as well as the lower mounts on the rears are made of aluminum. As for the bodies, I am not sure what they are made of. Good question.
Do you have a magnet?
Old 02-13-2017, 06:38 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Steel bodies to answer your question. Our new collars are far better than the previous design, as our new design prevent slippage of our tool. It's a unique design, that WE designed, and prevents the notorious knuckle busting. We designed the new spring collar to go with our lower collar which also is designed to prevent slippage of our 2 in 1 adjustment tool. It's the small details that count, and we've learned a lot from building coilovers the past decade. The old collar is now used for some clients who we do private labeling for as we make coilovers for other companies as well.

Thank you Sir, for your review, and taking the time to spread the word about our services, and the quality of our coilovers. We make the most reliable dampers in the world, and for the past decade we've covered them with a Lifetime Warranty. As with many small businesses, we continue to evolve, and not only continue to improve our already proven coilovers, but our systems here to improve leads times as well as many other things that come along with running a business, and managing growth. We appreciate everyone support the past 10 years, as most of our business is by word of mouth. I've never been known to give my products away, and we've always been very busy here. As I've said many times in the past, would you rather buy from a company who has no business, or a lot of business? In time we've improved many aspects of our business, but those changes did not happen overnight, as that is not realistic. Changes take time, especially as busy as we have been since we opened our doors. Like they say, you don't make a wise sailor in calm seas. We will continue to grown, improve, learn from our mistakes, learn from our success, but as we always have done, we will continue to move forward. Thanks again.
Old 02-16-2017, 01:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for clarifying that Andy, I was just about to get the magnet out. I'm glad I could help you out by spreading the word here on H-T. I'll have some more pictures up soon of the installation.
Old 02-17-2017, 02:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the reply!
Old 02-19-2017, 03:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just ordered myself a set today, read your review a few days ago
Old 02-21-2017, 04:08 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by stdefhatch
Just ordered myself a set today, read your review a few days ago
Thanks for your order, and choosing AMR Engineering to upgrade your PIC coilovers. We'll have you buttoned up in a few weeks here! You will be all set for this season. Happy, and safe racing! Thanks again for your support.
Old 02-21-2017, 07:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Pretty straight forward installation, so there really is not need for installation instructions. The coilovers come with all necessary hardware and even new nuts for the strut towers. I liked that the dampening adjusters came in a separate package and were not already installed on the coilovers. This made them a little easier to install and took away the chance of banging up the adjustment *****. The lower mounts of the struts are adjustable, which is a key feature of these coilovers. This allows adjustability of the ride height without compromising the set spring rates. This also keeps the springs in place at all times. With my old coilovers there is only the one spring perch that also serves as the ride heigh adjustability, so every time I lifted the car up to do any work on it the springs would fall out of place as the struts would extend. Then when I put the car back on the ground the springs would have to settle back into place. If they were sitting at an angle, they would "bang" back into place and cause damage to the underneath of the top mounts. I always hated that about those.

I wanted to retain the same ride height that I had with my old coilovers. So I adjusted the AMRs bottom spring perch and bottom mount length to that of the Zeal spring perch and bottom mount. Once the AMRs where installed, the car was sitting 1/2-3/4 of an inch higher. Maybe I measured incorrectly, or maybe the springs on the Zeals were tired. Either way, it was very simple to unbolt the bottom mounts and make the necessary adjustments. I didn't even have to fully remove the coilovers to adjust them and I only had to adjust them one time. Very simple.

AMR also makes **** extenders for the dampening adjustments. I may pick a set of those up for the rears so that I do not have to remove my speakers every time I go to the track. I've only gotten to put a few miles on them, and so far it is a night and day difference. Excited to find out how well they perform on and off road. I'll be back with some updates.

Old 02-21-2017, 05:45 PM
I like to party

Dang, can't wait to get mine!
Old 03-13-2017, 03:57 PM
I like to party

Look what showed up today...

Man, these things really are works of art. The machining is really top notch, there's no tooling marks anywhere, the anodizing is flawless, and they feel beefy. I can't wait to get them on and tested.
Old 03-15-2017, 11:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ahhh, I remember the day I got mine... I'm sure you'll be more than happy with them. I've got maybe 300 miles on mine and loving them.
Old 03-23-2017, 01:36 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by 2LEM1
Look what showed up today...

Man, these things really are works of art. The machining is really top notch, there's no tooling marks anywhere, the anodizing is flawless, and they feel beefy. I can't wait to get them on and tested.
Everything you mentioned is how we have made a name for ourselves over the past decade. Not only is our machining excellent, but our product is proven. We make the most reliable dampers in the world, and we look forward to your review of our product as well. Thanks for your kind words, and support! Glad to have the opportunity to share with you first hand how we have become soo successful with simply word of mouth. Our work speaks for itself, thanks again for your support.
Old 03-23-2017, 05:38 PM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

i was lucky enough to get the chance to see the coilover parts before they were assembled. They are just as beautiful and perfect on the inside as the outside.
Old 04-04-2017, 10:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

Wow really nice parts. If my car weren't such a bucket that hardly gets driven these days, I would look to replace my old 1/4-million mile Koni dampers. But it would probably be a waste of money for me.
Old 04-04-2017, 12:34 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94
Wow really nice parts. If my car weren't such a bucket that hardly gets driven these days, I would look to replace my old 1/4-million mile Koni dampers. But it would probably be a waste of money for me.
Nice to see you still around, I still got my 2000 Civic Si. We've been members of this forum for about 20 years now, you and I. Hope all is well with you after all this time. Not the young bucks we use to be when we first came on here. If you ever decide to change those out, you know who to call. Been doing this over a decade now, and our work is proven. You been a member before I even started this company, when I originally owned BodyKits NW, you know I stand behind my work. Thanks again!

Last edited by Andy@AMR; 04-05-2017 at 12:35 PM.
Old 04-04-2017, 04:07 PM
RTFM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Just got mine on last night and levelled this morning. HOLY CRAP! At full soft the car grips and goes where I point it, the hardest part is staying in the seat the car can corner so much harder, easily the best suspension I have ridden on. On good roads the ride is better than my old setup and on rough rouds it is no worse, yet the spring rates at more than double! I should have taken more pics, cause the ones in this htread do the parts justice. I was too excited though.
Old 04-17-2017, 06:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

would love for input for people who street but also track their cars at the circuit with these coilovers.
Old 04-17-2017, 08:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by XxRoCkMaNxNEOxX
would love for input for people who street but also track their cars at the circuit with these coilovers.
Coming soon! Well, at least from the drag strip...
Old 04-17-2017, 01:57 PM
I like to party

Originally Posted by XxRoCkMaNxNEOxX
Mine is a track car, but it won't be done until next year probably.

Quick Reply: AMR Engineering Coilover Review