Notices
Suspension & Brakes Theory, alignment, spring rates....

94 GSR Rear Brake Hard Line Replacement Question

Old 03-08-2011, 03:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 94 GSR Rear Brake Hard Line Replacement Question

Alright...so I've been lying underneath my car, looking through the factory service manual, and searching on here and so far I can't find the answer to this question:

Do I need to drop the gas tank and the rear engine mount crossmember on a 94 integra gsr in order to replace both of the rear brake hard lines that go from the proportioning valve all the way back to each rear wheel's flexible lines? The lines look pretty well "caged in" by those items, and I'm wondering if someone has had experience replacing them without disassembling the whole car so to speak.

One of my lines has rusted completely through and the other one is right behind it. The car is undriveable right now because instead of stopping...it just spews brake fluid everywhere.

I would appreciate any answers that anyone could offer. Thanks.
Old 04-20-2011, 03:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 94 GSR Rear Brake Hard Line Replacement Question

I too am at this predicament. Let me know how things go for you man. Looks like a tedious job i'm looking at as well...
Old 04-20-2011, 04:20 PM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: 94 GSR Rear Brake Hard Line Replacement Question

If you're replacing the lines with OEM honda prebent ones then yes you have to remove the cross member and the gas tank, neither is particularly difficult, although for the front cross member at least a good impact gun will make a world of difference (electric will work here too if you don't have a compressor) I've done this before on a '94 Civic Sedan, I replaced everything (found a set of rust free lines for $40 with prop valve and MC still attached, score!) If you need to go somewhere crimp the rear lines off, the front brakes do most of the braking, although obviously you'll want to take care of it as soon as possible.